Now reading [books]

+
Reading through a stack of Anne McCaffrey's Pern novels right now (just comfy brain candy, I read her stuff over and over). That, and The Master Book of the Water Garden: The ultimate guide to designing and maintaining water gardens by Philip Swindells. Next I think is going to be one of the Elric novels, and another gardening book.

Starwolf said:
That, and The Master Book of the Water Garden: The ultimate guide to designing and maintaining water gardens by Philip Swindells
Thread drift: If you're planning a water garden in northeast Ohio and plan to have fish in it, recommendation's 3' minimum depth for the pond if memory serves, unless you plan to bring the fish in for the winter.Back on topic: Update on my earlier list: Wolfsbane & Mistletoe has moved from the 'reading' to 'read' list (well, the stories I was interested in reading in it anyway ;) ...may try reading the others sometime). Also there's now a stack of Agatha Christie novels sitting on my table since I got a good deal on them ($72 worth of books for $28 and change :) )

Just finished Iain M. Banks 'Matter'. While it's not as good as 'Use of Weapons' and 'Player of Games' or the stunning 'Against a Dark Background' it was still a distinct pleasure. One notable sub-genre that has had a resurgence is the superhero fiction. The venerable Wild Cards collaborative series made a strong comeback with 'Inside Straight' with the spine written by the impressive Daniel Abraham (reading his other books is recommended). 'Soon I Will Be Invincible' narrates the return of a major supervillain. Currently reading 'Spin'./Dan

Quixote said:
Quixote said:
That, and The Master Book of the Water Garden: The ultimate guide to designing and maintaining water gardens by Philip Swindells
Thread drift: If you're planning a water garden in northeast Ohio and plan to have fish in it, recommendation's 3' minimum depth for the pond if memory serves, unless you plan to bring the fish in for the winter.
Thanks for the input, we are considering making it a Sushi Bar...er..... goldfish pond ..... and keeping the goldfish outside is definitely preferable to maintaining yet another space consuming animal cage. :)Back on topic.... OK, just finished the Anne McCaffrey, and trying to decide what to read next. I don't think two seed catalogs and a clothing catalog actually count as "reading material". Next serious book: JavaScript Bible. Next brain candy: not sure. I've plowed through most of my stockpile of old favorites, so I'll have to rummage in the basement to see what appeals. I really need to get out to the bookstore again.

Brain candy brings me to think of the books by Greg Egan and Rudy Rucker. And the 'Jennifer ...' part brings the Charles Stross James Bond Vs. Cthulhu books to mind. 'The Atrocity Archives', 'The Jennifer Morgue' and the downloadable 'Down on the Farm' short story. Stross is one of the post-post-cyberpunk British writers I have come to adore./Dan

Hmm, I must say something here ;DSince some time I am reading Hus Trilogy. I don't have much time for it, so it is going slowly, even if that are great books written by Mr Sapkowski.I've finished Narrenturm some time ago and now I am reading Boży Bojownicy (Warriors of God => from Czech Bož

The Chosen by Chaim Potok. Again. I have recently been to visit one of my gf's friends while in LA and having sat through what felt like a scene from that book felt compelled to read it for the umpteenth time.

Yay another Gaiman fan! ;D American Gods is really a good piece!!! ;D Also Neverwhere, did you try that one?

Today, I'll finish "Chosen By A Horse" by Susan Richards. After that, I'll probably reread Tad Williams' "Otherworld" series, or perhaps Spider Robinson's Calahan books. No heavy reading, here. :D

I wouldn't classify the 'Otherworld' series as light reading. Other Tad Williams books might be the literary equivalent of popcorn but Otherworld is pretty deep and involved and features multiple storylines and radically different realities. If you want deli popcorn with real butter and sea salt I recommend the 'Omar the Storyteller' books by Dave Duncan./Dan

Fantasy binge in progress! Finished reading 'A Magic of Twilight'. Extremely formulaic fantasy. Naming convention is a bit of a tell. Some action sequences have a pretty obvious pre-written template quality. The story is easily identified as cribbed from the annals of history. All this can be said of all works of fiction but in this case it pokes you in the eyes with a sharp stick. The originality and the temptation to play plot line bingo aside the book was strangely well written and an OK read. Halfway through 'Chronicles of the Necromancer' now. An easy read so far. Not exactly raising the bar of originality either. Story is fast paced and varied. The 600+ pages do fly by and it is entertaining at all time. Necromancy, gods and martial exploits abound. More than an OK read in my book. Next series I'll read has been a bit hyped to me. I think it will be a good read 'The Night Angel Trilogy'/Dan

The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger by Stephen KingSome similarities exist between Roland Deschain and the beloved Geralt...

Finished "American Gods". First time I've ever read anything from Neil Gaiman and I am amazed!Started reading his "Sandman" Graphic Novel.Let's see... :beer:

SaLi

Forum veteran
Just finished - Star Wars Republic Commando: Triple ZeroOh yeah, i forgot - Terry Pratchett & Discworld RULES!

Did a brief detour from the plan of reading The Night Angel Trilogy. Managed to cram Small Favour, Last Argument of Kings and Mister B. Gone in. All grade a books. Mister B. Gone might not be for everyone though. Currently in the middle of the The Night Angel Trilogy.Edit: Forgot to mention reading House of Suns./Dan

Top Bottom