[OBSOLETE since EE]1eyedking's Complete Original Script (subtitles AND journal!)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
[OBSOLETE since EE]1eyedking's Complete Original Script (subtitles AND journal!)

The original complete script/dialogue for all the languages are available with the official patch 1.4, this hack was useful only in the original game version launched in 2007Find out more here: http://www.thewitcher.com/community/en/www/ee_description.html_____________________________________________________________________-So, I've managed to make our lives easier! I found a way to get the uncut dialogues and the journal entries in english working together. All of this in a neat, easy-to-install package!Instructions:If you're using Win 9x/2000/NT/XP/Vista 32-bit, download my fix here. If you're using WIndows Vista 64-bit, get your version here. Extract into your Witcher's Data folder. Just in case (or if you don't know what you're doing) make sure everything's in its default state (i.e.: freshly installed game).In your Witcher's Data folder you'll now find three files of particular interest - I'll detail what each one does:English (original).reg - Double-click and select 'Yes' to load the original, uncut subtitles into the game. Think of these as CD Projekt's first draft.FinalEnglish (optimized).reg - Double-click and select 'Yes' to load the original, optimized subtitles into the game. Think of these as the second draft - test both and choose the one more to your liking.FinalEnglish_Short (default).reg - Double-click and select 'Yes' to load the default, cut dialogues (just in case you want to go back...but except for the Prologue I don't know why you would :p ).You can switch between each of the three whenever you like. It works with all game versions and languages.(08/22/08: made some minor grammar corrections and clarifications - also, in some inscrutable way I managed to make the first paragraph sound somewhat arrogant, so I changed it; blame my rusty english)[MOD]Added the info[/MOD]

Awesome but just a little side note, you can have both files and just select witch one you would like in the registry.HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CD Projekt Red\The WitcherEdit the key Language Give it a value of 3 for english and 5 for Polish :) Would be nice if someone could put the polish voices file somewhere. USA doesnt have that file on the DVD :)

Mobidoy said:
Awesome but just a little side note, you can have both files and just select witch one you would like in the registry.HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CD Projekt Red\The WitcherEdit the key Language Give it a value of 3 for english and 5 for Polish :)
Does it change the subtitles as well?Suffice to say, it's working like a charm. I've finished the Prologue and some of Chapter I without running into any crashes. I'm currently playing Chapter III (where I left off before going through the steps above) and everything's going smoothly.The voices during dialogue last their polish-intended amount and during cutscenes they trail off just a bit when an action scene pops up; but that's as awkward as it gets.
Mobidoy said:
Would be nice if someone could put the polish voices file somewhere. USA doesnt have that file on the DVD :)
Indeed, if it's legally doable. Someone could torrent and/or rapidshare it.

Nope i have not seen a registry key for the subtitles yet, and i haven't tested what i tell you. But, if the thing i need to see is if the subtitle files are someway related to this key too. But, sadly, i dont have the polish voice file so i cant test it. Knowing if it is legal to rapidshare those, i dont know but i am sure that someone from CDPR will answer this :)

Mobidoy said:
Awesome but just a little side note, you can have both files and just select witch one you would like in the registry.HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CD Projekt Red\The WitcherEdit the key Language Give it a value of 3 for english and 5 for Polish :) Would be nice if someone could put the polish voices file somewhere. USA doesnt have that file on the DVD :)
Too bad it's against forum rules to post it here, right Mr Moderator?...

Linking the file yup, it would be but, sending the link thru PM, Email, AIM etc... is not ;)

Just for the record:My game crashed at New Narakort Inn when having 'the talk' with Geralt's friends about a certain female character. I selected the 'Hmm...' option when asked about going to a brothel, and just after Zoltan started talking I was staring at an error message.I replaced the polish voice file with the english one (that's why you keep backups!), got through the ordeal again with no problems, and then restored the polish dialogues. It was foolish of me not to try again, but now it's too late.

I got them working! Some fiddling is all it took! Mind you, there are many untranslated parts (such as Quest entries, books, ), some '[dev]' notes here and there but it's the very first, big step into getting the full deal. I'll do some more research tomorrow when I find the time.Step-by-step:1. Open Windows's Registry Editor (Start->Run->type "regedit"). Navigate towards 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CD Projekt Red\The Witcher' . Double-click the 'Language' tab. Enter '1' in 'Value Data' without the commas. Close the Editor (it saves the changes automatically).2. Go to your Witcher's Data folder inside the directory where you installed the game.3. Rename 'lang_3.key' to 'lang_1.key'.4. Rename 'dialog_3.tlk' to 'dialog_1.tlk'.5. DO NOT rename anything else. The game will still look inside voices_3_00.bif to get the dialogue wave files, for example.Enjoy!

I believe he means the original english subtitles, unfortunately not voiced. Here are some examples from Lethal Weapon of the RPG CodexEdit: The cut script (C) is what we ended up with.
A: original script B: improved script C: cut script A. Don't make me laugh, Geralt. Simplicity suits you like a fist fits a nose, and sentimentality suits you even less. You can't deny that. You're too smart. Apart from that, who do you want to defend? Folest? A monarch who has more sins on his conscience than Phed has long words in his vocabulary? B. Don't make me laugh, Geralt. Simplicity suits you like a fist in a nose and sentimentality suits you even less. You can't deny that. You're too smart. Besides, who do you want to defend? Foltest? A monarch with more sins on his conscience than Professor has long words in his vocabulary C. Who are you fighting for? Foltest? A monarch with more sins on his conscience than Professor has words in his vocabulary? A. You're right. Mine was a rhetorical question. So if not Foltest, then who? The Lodge of Sorceresses? You know nothing about it. You may be sleeping with Merigold, but you have no idea what those bitches are capable of. I can tell you they had quite a bit of influence on the postwar treaties. The resettlements, deportations, the unresolved matter of the Scoia'tael and others... C. If not Foltest, then who? The Lodge of the Sorceresses? You know not what those bitches do to influence postwar treaties. The resettlements, deportations, the unresolved matter of the Scoia'tael, and others... A. Then he disappeared, just like that. He wandered around that damnable tower. Perhaps he encountered a very powerful monster? C. Then he disappeared. Perhaps he encountered a powerful monster? A. Shouldn't answer a question with a question. Saw somebody like you recently. I asked the reverend who it was. Never learned his name, but I know he tried to get in the city. B. Should never answer a question with another. Saw one like you recently and asked the reverend who it was. Never learned his name, but I know he wished to enter the city. C. Saw one like you recently and asked the reverend. Never learned his name, but he wished to enter the city. A. Apart from that, during the war he cared only for his crown, allowing Nilfgaard to plunder and torch the neighboring kingdoms he had made alliances with. Simple people are dying of hunger there to this day. Is he worth fighting for? B. Furthermore, during the war, he cared only for his crown, allowing Nilfgaard to plunder and torch neighboring allied kingdoms. Simple people are dying of hunger there to this day. Is he worth fighting for? C. Furthermore, during the war, he allowed Nilfgaard to plunder and torch neighboring allied kingdoms. A. I see you don't learn from your mistakes. But that's not determination, that's just stupidity. Want me to surprise you? Fine. Remember the magic book from the Tower in the swamp? Observe some useful spells you gave me... C. Remember the magic book from the Tower in the swamp? Observe some spells... A. You, simple? Don't make me laugh, Geralt. But that's meaningless. Nothing will change, except for the fact that there will be one witcher less. C. Nothing will change, except there'll be one witcher less. A. The mage's tower? What good is human magic? Fireworks and jugglers' tricks, that's all. I doubt the tower's worth your while. Ask Yaevin, he was interested in that building. B. The mage's tower? What good is human magic? Fireworks and jugglers' tricks, nothing more. The tower's hardly worth your while. However, ask Yaevinn. He showed interest in that building. C. What good is human magic? Tricks, nothing more. However, Yaevinn showed interest in that building. A. Angular houses, dirty streets. The place lacks the beauty that inevitably surrounds my people. B. Stocky houses, dirty streets. The place lacks the beauty that inevitably surrounds my people. C. This place lacks the beauty that normally surrounds my people. A. It chiefly enables conversations over relatively short distances. With some knowledge of magic, one could draw quite a bit of information from it. If the Salamanders were using it to communicate with headquarters, they'll have no problem localizing it... B. It allows conversations over relatively short distances. The Salamanders may've used it to communicate with headquarters. With some knowledge of magic, one could draw quite a bit of information from it C. It allows conversations over short distances. With some knowledge of magic, one could draw quite a bit of information from it. A. Cherry vodka for Dandelion, rose wine for me... and something for you. C. Cherry vodka, rose wine... and something for you. A. You see this mess all around? Bandits, monsters, and city hall barely does anything. No one knows where decisions are made or who is responsible. B. Look around: Bandits, monsters, and.... No one knows who's responsible or where to make decisions. City hall is silent. C. Look around: Bandits, monsters, and... City hall is silent. A. True, but the situation now is nothing like Oxenfurt. Ah, college days! C. This is nothing like Oxenfurt. A. Tell me, is there a chance I'll recover? Tell me! B. Tell me, have I the chance to recover? Speak true! C. Have I a chance to recover?

Sorry for the language but:What the fuck?Half of the game is now in polish and unfortunately i do not understand it.I see the missing dialogue but all the journal is in polish.Didn't anyone notice this or is it just me who has this problem?Oh and how do i change it back?

Blasphemer said:
Oh and how do i change it back?
Just revert the steps:Rename 'lang_1.key' to 'lang_3.key'.Rename 'dialog_1.tlk' to 'dialog_3.tlk'.Do the same steps about the registry and change the '1' into a '3'.

Ausir said:
1eyedking: is the journal in Polish for you as well?
Yes some parts of the journel turn into Polish.I give 1eyedking credit for what he's accomplished so far.Hopefully him or someone else can firgure how to get get the original subtitles and keep the journel in English ;D

Ausir said:
1eyedking: is the journal in Polish for you as well?
Yes, some other random entries as well. Some villager banters are in polish too.What's weird about all this is that these uncut original subtitles are actually longer than the polish subtitles (I can tell because I'm playing the game with polish voices). I don't know if this is because the dialogue entry is misplaced, or CDP actually shortened the Polish dialogue *after* their translation.Some more info on language numbers:1 = English (these are the uncut dialogues)2 = FinalEnglish (these are the supposedly optimized dialogues - don't worry, I tried them and you still get polish journal entries)3 = FinalEnglish_Short (default)5 = Polish10 = German11 = French12 = Spanish13 = Italian14 = Russian15 = Czech16 = Hungarian20 = Korean21 = ChineseTrad22 = ChineseSimpFor the first three english languages, the game reads the voices in the voices_3_00.bif. For languages between 4 & 22, it reads the voices in the voices_X_00.bif, where X is the corresponding language number (except perhaps in Chinese, where both should read from a same voice file).What this means is that everyone can get the subtitles they want by replacing their language number in the mentioned files (voices_X_00.bif, lang_X.key, dialog_X.tlk, registry entry).

I can give it a try. I was on the RPGDOT community team to help make the English sub title mod for Gothic 2 Night of the Raven when it was only in German language. It took what, two years before English was published.The Journal entries should be in another file. Sometime a straight letter for letter substitution will work without the game crashing. Else you will need tools. It is nice to see the real dialog, no wonder I was a bit confused (now I can read the original). I am not the best, but while I wait for patch 1.2; I will see what I can do for hex editing the journal text files. I seen them in one of the uncompressed BIF files. They contain all the text for multi language, phase, etc. I always run into problems if I need to make the text longer and the file crashing. Since the dialog was cut down, this is a problem. I could sacrifice one language 'space' to make room for the better text in English. Maybe by looking at the file header and numeration, a recompiled bif file with longer text and the correct "length' 'where' 'stop' commands are in place would work.Shit, even my English translation "contribution" from German into English of Gothic 2 NoTR was better than Atari butcher job. :pEDIT:This is taking off. Here is a excerpt from the quest00/q0001.qst file "The other witchers and I killed the bandits. Though I lost my memory: I am certain of one thing: the bandits were after me and my friends. I should follow Vesemir the oldest and wisest of us all."Is this the Journal part that is messed up? Quest section. Or is the Formula and Ingredients, etc. also messed up? The numbers need to match in these fields too, I believe. Then it may all be in English.EDIT2:If you change Dialog_3.tlk to a _1, the header inside the file itself says v 3.0 xx xx xx 03 change that to 1 also. See if that helps. This has Journla entries to Monsters and stuff. Else, defaults to polish. ;) Worth a try.

I'm currently caught in my university's semester finals; this 'find' was actually sheer luck, since I got bored and started messing with the game files around. I'm getting on to something though, I just found a very interesting 2da file.

So, I've decided to make your lives easier! I found a way to get both the uncut dialogues AND english journal entries. You'll also get rid of the '[dev]' tags before each dialogue. All of this in a neat, easy-to-install package!Instructions:Download my fix here. Extract into your Witcher's Data folder. Make sure everything's in its default state.In your Witcher's Data folder you'll find three files of particular interest:English (original).reg - Double-click and select 'Yes' to load the original, uncut subtitles into the game. Journal entries are in english!FinalEnglish (optimized).reg - Double-click and select 'Yes' to load the original, optimized subtitles into the game. This one's dialogues and entries are slightly different to the ones above - test both and choose the one more to your liking. FinalEnglish_Short (default).reg - Double-click and select 'Yes' to load the default, cut dialogues (just in case you want to go back...but don't know why you would :p ).You can switch between each of the three whenever you like.Enjoy!

Hey, I have an idea! Could CDPR put Polish voice-overs at the Extras section where those who have a registered copy of the game can download them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom