Open PTR feedback

+
Just to add to my feedback - I did not mention the provision system.

Basically, I though the idea was cool, and it well explained lack of silvers - everything was logical. But with no limit on gold cards at all, it seems golds are everywhere. They lack the "oompf" factor, like much of the HC. I would reconsider some limitations on golds, even if much more lax, to make use of provisions. Also, with provisions and 2 bronzes system, adding "trash" into the deck seems logical move (at least for the beginner), so it takes away some fun of deck building, at least for me (making it less epic).

I do know silvers are pointless, as difference in power is dealt with by provisions. But perhaps having "cheaper" golds turn into silvers (a "lower powered one-of cards" basically), would make it a bit clearer? Just as an artistic choice. Of course, I know in W3 there were no silvers and I see reasoning here :)

Sadly, my excitement for provisions system was dulled after seeing it's current implementation.

CDPR pls kill the Mill archetype on the nilfgaard. So many cards can destroy opponents deck with overpower cards. I dont want play mill vs mill on the top of ladder in next month.

1. Anyone say about slow animations? For this reason I didn’t like TESL, and now here it’s decided to do so. Accelerate animations or adjust animation speeds.
2. Two copies of a bronze card is a bad decision. It is HS? This was a feature of Gwint.
3. Nasty 3d leaders, many talked about this.
4. Why doesn't the move end automatically if there are no orders available?
5. What is the ugly new coin?

Last edited:
Despite its flaws, I've stuck around and have 1k+ hours into current Gwent. This likely plays an impact the way I feel about HC but here goes my immediate thoughts, divided into three categories.

The good:
* I was very skeptical when midwinter (?) patch arrived and the art style turned more cartoonish, so I'm glad you're going for a more mature, grittier look.

* I think provisions is a very interesting addition. It makes deckbuilding more complex, having to manage resources and making it more like a puzzle. It's not all good though, see below.

* Having a fixed set of mulligans forces you to plan ahead which is cool. Might need tweaking though.

* I have no complaints about a hand limit of 10, but it will take a number of games before we know for certain if this is a good or bad change.

The bad:
* While I like the darker art-style, I disagree with using a "battlefield" when Gwent is a tavern game. I think it would've been both prettier and more fitting if the backdrop resembled the dice-poker in the Witcher 1. e.g. https://i.ytimg.com/vi/_t7PQ8egWRg/maxresdefault.jpg I also don't like the more or less removed card borders and that your drawn cards are "hiding" during a game.

* The fact that the majority of a deck is made out of golds and a few filler bronzes is questionable at best. It removes the flair of playing golds, and it's one reason why a lot of archetypes synergy seem to have gone missing. Two-bronze limitation is another one.

* Thanks to the extra draws, the order mechanic, the new animations, the clunky click card/place card, and constant end turn clicking, a match takes significantly longer and the gameplay itself is utterly slow. The game feels much less intuitive than current Gwent, and it's one of my biggest criticisms.

* Some people argue that this isn't the case, but I think the mechanics has been dumbed down a significant amount. Many of the cards abilities are very similar to each-other with generic boost/damage/lock. With focus shifting from bronzes to golds, the game lacks characteristic synergies, archetypes, unique win conditions and so forth. Long story short, it feels boring.

The why:
What's the logic behind all these changes that nobody asked for? Why ditch a good game like this?

Why did you decide to develop everything behind closed doors, not caring about user feedback til now?

So after testing PTR I switched back to old Gwent and it makes me appreciate old Gwent even more. It's really sad to see it end this way, but I guess all good things come to an end. In it's current state, I'll not play Gwent HC. It's not the Gwent I fell in love with.

I played Avallac'h: Sage 2 times now, but did nothing. I played an artifact-deck, so I had artifact in my deck. Is this a bug or I miss something?
This has been similar to my experience. Many of the cards seem like they're either bugged or just have a confusing description.

* Thanks to the extra draws, the order mechanic, the new animations, the clunky click card/place card, and constant end turn clicking, a match takes significantly longer and the gameplay itself is utterly slow. The game feels much less intuitive than current Gwent, and it's one of my biggest criticisms.
I fully agree.
Post automatically merged:

So after testing PTR I switched back to old Gwent and it makes me appreciate old Gwent even more. It's really sad to see it end this way, but I guess all good things come to an end. In it's current state, I'll not play Gwent HC. It's not the Gwent I fell in love with.
I too :cry:

I wanted to write some proper feedback here, but it turns out that the new version of the game - as opposed to the current one - is virtually unplayable on my notebook. MtG Arena does not run all that smoothly on my old piece of scrap, but it at least got better after new updates, so unless that thing changes after release, I can already tell where my time and money will be going.

Frankly, the new table look (when I finally got to see them, which took a while) does not justify the decrease in stability - btw did anyone even ask for those mediocre 3D models in the left corner? Except from the card presentation, which was overall improved (although the cards in hand could be dragged a wee bit upwards), the new UI looks messier - the old one might not be flashy, but it served its purpose quite well. The new grim&gritty colour palette used for the table is a bit excessive in its grimness&grittiness. I always liked the brighter and more light-hearted aesthetics of the beta, which reminded us that the Witcher is not always all about mud, blood and guts (although the art quality did in fact decrease post Mid-winter update).

Based on the PTR experience, it seems to me that what might indeed be homecoming to others, to me will most likely mean a definite farewell with the game I have enjoyed so much in 2017. Well, tough luck, but as they say, "you can try to win'em all, but you won't."

A pity about Thronebreaker, though.

Just downladed Open PTR, but as I start the game I can't see any of the main menu "buttons" and graphics (apart from the corner small icons).

Also no cards are visible, neither in loading screens or in decks.

Anyone has similar problems?
Same damn problem,i'm so disappointed , i wish it worked properly

Boosting needs to be CLEAR in what it means. Boosting a damage unit counts as a HEAL not a BOOST thus not triggering if this unit is boosted effect. Either the text to boost needs to say that it will heal instead, or the actual mechanic needs fixing so damage units that get boosted are counted as being boosted.

Maybe the animation is a placeholder and this is probably not a priority, but: the animation of Morvudd looks like a negative effect although it is a boost. I think it should be green or at least not red or purple :)

Loving playing the PTR so far. Just a few key pieces of feeback:
  1. Performance doesn't seem great - it's a little sluggish and that's really holding it back from being a great UI
  2. Leaders look good to me but the taunts are a bit weak. It would be nice to see them tightened up
  3. The animated cards have a glitch that shows as a purple oblong appearing at times - something perhaps in rendering on certain graphics cards/drivers
  4. When leader abilities are cancelled out by other leaders there is no realy indication of this making it quite confusing if you don't notice that

You really broke your quality,
Gwent; It was the content of a computer game I liked to play.
But now Just have an ugly makeover on it.

Where is ballista Row Melee Row

The location of the card's features is depressing and boring.

spelling format and font color overwhelming.

disappointment...

played with no problem for 3 hours on day1, but now i have infinite loading screen on strartup. tried repair, intsall/uninstall cant fix it

Some cards keep disappearing in the deck builder as soon as I start to actually build a deck, even though I do own them (like all cards). Including, not necessarily limited to: Cahit Dyffryn, Isbel of Hagge, Vran Warrior

I just started the PTR yesterday and i was streaming Gwent since march.

I liked the old Gwent. I am absolutely no TCG-Type of guy and discovered Gwent through TW3 and liked it, because it stands out, it was unique, tactical and fun. And today i sat here with my viewers, played PTR, unleashed a rage after another about Homecoming (of what i was very eager beforehand) and was actually thinking about never play Gwent again, despite loosing my main audience. Why you might ask?
Gwent Homecoming has lost its Soul and what it made fun. It was a tactical yet enjoyable and even chilling game. You did your ove, the enemy did his, you only had to use the mouse and knew the most cards very quickly. You had freedom in deckbuilding (not that broken new system), Archetypes, Consitence and so much more. And everything is gone. CDPR noticed a few months ago, that Gwent is having a cold. and instead of giving it some rest and antibiotics, it went to organic transplantation and plastic surgery, so the entire thing becomes something very different. But it is not unique anymore, it feels like the unholy child of HS and MTG after a drunken night at the clubs and with a chainsmoking mom.
Don't get me wrong, i like the visuals, even if i still would like to have three rows, i like the coinflip-solution and i like some of the new features. But i really hate everything else about it, especially the soulless decks, the provision system, the fricking End Turn Coin and the whole RNG. And the fact, that you can, with luck, have a completely uncounterable deck, if you just play many artifacts until the enemy has no Units left and then play your last unit and trigger many Orders. You Shouldn't be able to play that much Orders and Cards in just one round. And the Leaders are broken. Skelliges Crach for example has more mulligans and an universal RNG-less ability, he can use plenty of times, while Voorhis has only 2 mulligans and an ability, he can only use once and does even have to have luck to draw some good cards. and that is BS.
After all, i did really not enjoy my time. One viewer said, it was as much fun as cutting your own finger off. And that was, what i felt. Please, just apply the visuals and Coinflip-Solution additionaly to some minor features and balance-Changes to the actual Gwent and do not try to be something, that you'r players do not even want to have, like HS.

Brouver looks cartoonish compared to the other leaders that are so polished.

Bearmasters are way over powered. Bronzes that get far more power than most gold's. Not cool.

On the battlefield, after the first round, for me it is not clear (yet) who is able to redraw (sometimes i can redraw, sometimes not). Please add an explanation.

Here are the 2 things that is needed in my mind:

Drag-and-play mechanics: Getting cards by my own hand and decide which to go makes me feel like I am controlling the battlefield. However, ways to play from one's deck has been diminished to a level that all kinds of deck rely heavily on same gold cards or passive cards drawing for different rounds. This is making the game less fun.

More choices than boost and damage: Empire deck(slave) can rely on establishing small units on different rows. Northern realm deck can rely on armor or burst damage to be defensive or offensive. Monster deck can rely on devouring or deathwish or both of them. I like Gwent because it's a hardcore game not because it's easy to understand like Hearthstone.

I think it would be a good idea to make it more visually obvious that playing an order prevents you from passing.

For example, perhaps any time you play an order or card for the first time that turn, maybe making the coin do like a flipping animation to signify that you can no longer pass.

Top Bottom