Overall problem with weather in open beta

+
Overall problem with weather in open beta

I might agree that old weather effects was also somewhat powerful. Instantly reducing all non-weather-immune units to 1 was harsh.
So devs decided to change how weather works.
Somewhere in the middle they introduced Ragnarok and Drought. When suddenly realized those are way too powerful. And to adjust that they added weather-removal effect to some units.
And right now we have:
Still to powerful 2 golden weather effects, which is absolutely requires every single deck to have as many weather removal effects as possible.
And same time due to abundance of weather removal effect, normal weather cards become useless. More to that, decks that rely on normal weather effects active (Eredin, Dagon) become nearly powerless.
I've personally played Dagon/Foglet deck in closed beta, and trying it now. Before that it was... ok. I have very slightly above 50% win ration. Right now i am struggling to win at least 30% of a time (even with current deck actually more completed than previous one).
Good example of balanced weather effect right now is Biting Frost. Not instantly nerfing everyone to 1 strength, but instead damages everyone by 1 per turn.
And overall suggestion to weather re-balance will be:
1)Make again all weather effects affect both sides of the field. Its a weather after all. And especially that should be true for Ragnarok and Drought.
2)Make normal weather effect apply like it used to be. Biting Frost on melee row, Fog on range row, and Rain on siege row.
3)Instead of old instant nerfing to one strength to those that are affected by weather effect, make it damaged by 1 per turn. Yes for all 3 basic weather effects, like Frost doing it right now. Although that damage also should ignore armor.
4)Even with making Ragnarok and Drought affecting entire battlefield, they still need to be limited to 3 turns active.
5)Remove weather-removal abilities from all units. That is extremely important, you really killing weather decks entirely by giving so many weather removal effects. It should be like in closed beta - only First Light should be able to remove weather.
6)Due to making weather affecting both sides again, unites that had immunity to basic weather effect should again gain those. Special weather effects (silver and gold) are exceptions, and should affect everyone.

Last edited:
I like the way weather is now compared to CB. Monsters had cards that would remove weather from their row during CB as well. The only cards that I would like to see altered a little are Drought and Ragh Nar Roog. Suggestions for those:
1. Instead of removing 3 damage on each row from the highest unit on each turn, only do this on deployment. Then last for 3 rounds, dropping point value to 2 then 1.
2. If 3 damage from the highest unit, then rather than each row, do the highest unit on the entire board, and then damage every other highest unit on the whole board by 1. Also limit this to 3 turns.
3. If it keeps the current mechanic, then balance it with it only working until you've tied the round or have gained a 1-5 point lead over your opponent.

That said, I've not built my decks up as nicely as they were during CB yet, and I can see a few ways without having to rely entirely on weather removal to get around them. I've also managed to win rounds while either of them were in play against me without having anything to clear weather. I had the right amount of gold on the board and enough cards in hand to pick their unprotected ones off turn by turn. I was left with nothing but gold on my side each time, but their side, totally free of weather, was in worse shape.

For the 3 original weathers:
  1. Frost seems the most reliable of the thee basic effects and there is little reason to run any of the others since it can be played on any row. I would agree that it would be good to see symmetrical weather, and weather on the rows they belonged to originally behaving as the new frost does.
  2. Give weather specific archetypes like Wildhunt the ability to chose which of the three weathers they spawn using their units so they have more consistency with pulling the weather they need. The problem we are starting to see is that weather is safe for all archetypes to use and it will begin to be abused because it is more powerful than the standard control card. It is necessary that weather immunity is added back into the game to combat this with the symmetric weather being reintroduced.
  3. To give each weather a unique feel it could interact differently with each of the card tags. For example:
  • Rain: Double damage to "Machines"
  • Fog: Double damage to "Ranged"
  • Frost: Double damage to "Humans, Elves, Dryads, and Dwarves"
For the more unique weathers (RNR, drought, SK storm):
  1. Only apply the effect for 3 turns, and applying weather removal reduces the number of turns it will be applied by 1 to let the card see reasonable value. This ensures that these cards can still generate massive value if not answered, but they are not auto round wins if the opponent didn't RNG into a removal tool.
With this system RNR would be a minimum value of 6 STR assuming FL reduced its turn application count and it only hit a single unit. If it went unanswered for 3 turns and hit 3 units each time it will cap out at 27 STR which is phenomenal for even gold cards.​

I'd rather see RNR and Drought limited to a single row like other weather. Three row weather is just so fundamentally dull as a mechanic. It requires no tactical consideration and there's really no conceivable counter-play besides passing or playing Clear Skies. But single row weather is better. It creates an interesting dilemma between playing it early (for maximum potential damage) and playing it later (once you see where most units are). It also creates a dilemma for the opponent. Stacking units on one row can obviously have advantages (many buffs) but opens you up to dangerous weather plays. Of course, if you do that, you'll need to boost the actual effects. Otherwise drought just becomes a frost and RNR becomes a slightly better fog. But there are a lot of options there.

daemhan;n8647800 said:
That said, I've not built my decks up as nicely as they were during CB yet, and I can see a few ways without having to rely entirely on weather removal to get around them. I've also managed to win rounds while either of them were in play against me without having anything to clear weather. I had the right amount of gold on the board and enough cards in hand to pick their unprotected ones off turn by turn. I was left with nothing but gold on my side each time, but their side, totally free of weather, was in worse shape.
Well, let me tell you, Foglet deck right now is completely powerless.
Since on fog removal all foglets instantly get killed. Yeah, it happen before as well, but generally only first light actually made all fogs disappear and all foglets get killed that way. Otherwise they was staying on battlefield.
Even worse when you not only try to summon around 7-11 foglets, which obviously suppose to be your main force. But you buff them to with strength, as normally even 11 foglets are just 22 total strength. So not whole a lot. And then someone remove that single fog, and all foglets are instantly gone.
Once again, yeah, happen in CB as well, but only when someone used First Light. Right now not only singl weather removal on one row most likely will make all your foglets gone, and many units capable of doing so. But like i said, due to RNR and Drought ppl actualy try to put as many of those units in the deck as possible, as well as option to replay those usnits.

I am currently have ability to spawn fog up to 6 times per match. You'd say i well set up to just keep spawning my foglets? Like hell it is. It was happen far more than once, when i was actualy happens to spawn fog 6 times in whole match, and all 6 times fog was removed by opponent!
It not just been unlucky, its really a tendency already.
And no, nerfing RNR and Drought alone won't help. Units that have weather removal effect still will have it. And taking how weather currently works, and how foglets still works, foglet deck still will be powerless.
So, yeah, i still think that weather should be applied on both sides, and unites that had weather immunity in CB should get it again. That way even if opponent remove fog on his side, at least fog on my side still will remain, and thus foglets will not be killed.

I never really was upset about existence of first light as a good counter against foglets deck. But right now its just ridiculous.

Top Bottom