[Patch 1.1 Bug] Item randomisation broken (hotfixed in patch 1.11)

+
I've said this before, but...

This entire issue goes away if they add s crafting tree slot to improve quality of an item and a crafting tree slot to add sockets to an item.

The tree has gaps in it, slots that are nearly useless, why not just fix the tree?

Yeah very bad, the worst part is that there is worst than armor socket (which already pisses me off)
Apparently some others randomised stuffs get saved just by passing nearby. Not even entering the area, just driving/walking in the street... So when you get there for a mission later you get a low level item...

It's terrible, really hope it's an unwanted effect due to the changes that they made on saves and that it will be fixed on the next update!

Two easy improvements could be made to the game:
A system like AC odyssey that allows your equipment to look like any other you already looted before. So you could have enough armor to survive and look the way you want...

And a scaling system option to bring lower level ennemy to your level. So you can't stand anymore in front of ten low level ennemies without taking any damage...

Why save-scum for randomization at all?

Pick up all the things, live with them like that for as long as you feel ethically comfortable with living with them at whatever level, and then ...

use the cybercat GUI SAVE EDITOR over at Nexus Mods to make all the things you want Legendary with a click.
There's even a soft option that automatically deletes some number of crating components for each item you make Legendary this way.

It's not much different than save-scumming for more slots, just, a little quicker, and less random.

It's a single player game. Make it what you want.

The point the original poster is making about the 1.1 change is nothing to do with crafting really and should not be considered to be indirectly fixed by any future crafting changes otherwise you force every player to maximise technical to fix in game loot and limit their build options. If you want to do that to fix this then why not make the technical skill mandatory.... You do not fix one aspect of a game by making changes to another. Much easier to fix the original issue at source.

Prior to 1.1 then players who wanted to maximise the "quality" of orange and possibly purple drops were "encouraged" to reroll the items via save/reload. Given that orange loot and especially clothing is unique then this was a timesink price many were willing to pay. However these sorts of save/reload timesinks due to RNG are hardly enjoyable for players and I am sure the majority would rather spend their precious time actually playing the game rather than cycling through a save/reload cycle every so often. No one wants to find a unique orange clothing piece with 0 mod slots.

With the undocumented 1.1 change to mod slots meaning they cannot be rerolled via save/reload then a player is at the mercy of some other more fundamental RNG seed that they cannot overcome at all.

A simple fix for this that would improve quality of life for players, remove RNG and probably make the game code much simpler to manage would be to give each tier of gear a fixed number of mod slots and it would make sense to make this fixed number the max number.

So green has 0, blue has 1 (2 for torso), Purple has 2(3) and orange has 3(4). Do the same for weapons as well, give them fixed mod slot numbers and set it to the tier max. No more disappointed players feeling on the bad side of RNG, no more immersion breaking save/reload cycles and a simpler loot system.

For crafting then the same mod slot changes would also exist since this would be a global change to all loot whether crafted or not and potentially CPDR could apply that to current saved games as well. No more save/reload crafting to craft that orange headband with 3 slots. Crafting has a bunch of other issues as currently implemented with lack of specs, silly material costs for upgrades, etc etc that need attention of course but that is a separate set of problems to how many mod slots an item has at X tier.

Given the number of bugs in this game and the amount of grief that CDPR are getting from their players and others then I am surprised they
a: make a change that will annoy the players more and
b: also create patch notes that do not document every fix they are making that would be very visible to their players. They really do need to sort this out.

1. Save scumming is unfun
  2. Games should not be designed to encourage unfun activities
  3. Therefore this is a positive change that simply highlights an underlying problem with the loot system
If you want them to add back in savescumming, you've made a fundamental mistake. What they should do is make it so that crafting recipes can be obtained for all gear and you can add slots to a piece of gear with crafting up to the max for its gear type and rarity. Reduce random elements and make crafting more viable.

As i said save/reloading in front of a container containing a legendary that has say 1 mod slot will still change the number of mod slots on the item, i just did it with 3 legendary items in watson, Rockerboy outer, Neo tec badge pants and gold tipped boots, all initially undesired mod slots, all now max on v1.1 xbox

The legendaries get fixed across saves. I got a netrunner visor with 0 slots with my lvl 20, couldn't reroll it (I usually don't but it's a really cool visor with 0 slots...). Then I try to loot it with my lvl 47. Same armor, no slots. The items get determined for all game saves the first time you encounter them, that is... a problem.

3. Therefore this is a positive change that simply highlights an underlying problem with the loot system
If you want them to add back in savescumming, you've made a fundamental mistake. What they should do is make it so that crafting recipes can be obtained for all gear and you can add slots to a piece of gear with crafting up to the max for its gear type and rarity. Reduce random elements and make crafting more viable.

With your suggestion you are forcing everyone to spec into the technical skill tree to fix an issue with loot itemisation.

Much easier to just change it so that each loot tier will roll with a fixed number of mod slots, see my post above yours. That single change would address all your points and be much easier to implement. CPDR can "fix" crafting separately.

I agree with this. The problem is you can't get rid of save scumming until you correct the underlying problem with loot generation/itemization. Overhauling the game's itemization system is a non trivial task that will take considerable time to design and implement. The former is something you could do yesterday if you got super fucked by RNG, but now you are waiting on that itemization patch and I don't think that one is coming soon.

They could easily leave as is and introduce to vendors a item for sale that requires nothing but eddies and will add 1 mod slot to the item of your choosing with as ppl said a limit depending on rarity

There should be a way to farm out items to get max slots or the desired weapon trait. Was save scumming or walking the 150 meters desirable? Of course not, but at least the option was there to farm. Removing the option all together is a bad idea. Having a way to farm loot in an rpg littered with tiered loot should be standard.

With your suggestion you are forcing everyone to spec into the technical skill tree to fix an issue with loot itemisation.
You can upgrade gear without speccing into crafting. I'm just suggesting upgrading gear already at your level instead adds mod slots up to the max.

Edit: And you can craft gear to get different modifiers.

Much easier to just change it so that each loot tier will roll with a fixed number of mod slots, see my post above yours. That single change would address all your points and be much easier to implement. CPDR can "fix" crafting separately.

I agree that it shouldn't be tied to tech. Maybe a minimum legendary strength is guaranteeed and then vendors or tech can max it, idk. Getting a legendary with 0 slots defeats its purpose.

Why save-scum for randomization at all?

Pick up all the things, live with them like that for as long as you feel ethically comfortable with living with them at whatever level, and then ...

use the cybercat GUI SAVE EDITOR over at Nexus Mods to make all the things you want Legendary with a click.
There's even a soft option that automatically deletes some number of crating components for each item you make Legendary this way.

It's not much different than save-scumming for more slots, just, a little quicker, and less random.

It's a single player game. Make it what you want.
or use this, its the only way to get the dress you want:

I agree with this. The problem is you can't get rid of save scumming until you correct the underlying problem with loot generation/itemization. Overhauling the game's itemization system is a non trivial task that will take considerable time to design and implement. The former is something you could do yesterday if you got super fucked by RNG, but now you are waiting on that itemization patch and I don't think that one is coming soon.

Fixing general loot itemisation as far as mod slots go is I would guess is relatively easy. CDPR should make each tier of gear have a fixed number of mod slots. They could do this for all loot both encountered through gameplay and within game saves. For any current game save item they adjust that they add more slots then just add empty slots. These sorts of changes should be relatively easy for them to do assuming their game is using some sort of database to manage things like items.

Legendary weapons, inner torsos and outer torsos can roll anywhere from 0 and 4 sockets while all other clothing can roll anywhere from 0 to 3 sockets. The same thing occurs at lower item rarity but the maximum number of sockets is lower. For example, epic outer torsos can roll anywhere from 0 to 2 sockets and rare outer torsos can roll either 1 socket or 0 sockets.

Prior to 1.1, it was possible to reload a savegame in front of a lootable container to re-randomize the number of sockets on an item, as well as its rarity to a limited degree.

Save scumming in this case is a problem related to the way randomization is used to generate items in Cyberpunk 2077. Save scumming isn't fun - Its shit gameplay and exposes game mechanics to the player, which is a real problem in an immersive, narrative focused game.

Nevertheless, players do it because the difference between a 0 socket outer torso and a 4 socket outer torso is very significant. The number of sockets on clothing items is really the only variable that matters: a legendary outer torso scaled to level 50 has 180 armour. A single epic armadillo mod scaled to level 50 gives +240 armour and is stackable.

We know enemies have minimum and maximum levels but otherwise track player level within this range. We know the level difference between enemy and player is expressed as "threat level" by the game UI. We also know that damage reduction% from armour scales linearly per point and is modified by threat level so this is something that will affect everyone at all stages of the game. Its not just a level 50 thing.

Now that save scumming sockets is no longer possible, it exposes a different problem with Cyberpunk's itemization. Legendary themed sets only spawn once in the game world and never again, meaning if you get unlucky and roll 0 sockets, there is nothing you can do about it.

Socket randomization is fine in a game like Diablo 2 because if you get unlucky, you can just re-instance and farm the same containers again until you get what you want. This type of item randomization was the bedrock for Diablo II's skinner box gameplay. It is the reason why a grey market exists for Jeweler's Monarch of Deflecting (JMoD) - a 4 socket shield of white/common rarity. In actual fact, the probability of rolling the Jeweler's prefix and Deflecting suffix on a white Monarch shield is extraordinarily low which is why people ended up paying real money for one. This type of item randomisation can only work in Diablo II because you can always try again. It has no place in a single player game with a finite number of one time lootable containers and no ability to re-instance.

This change is not documented in the 1.1 patch notes but could be related to the changes to the way save data is handled.

Possible solution:

The easiest fix for this is to remove socket randomization so it behaves like it does for iconics - all items at all rarities will always roll the maximum number of sockets for their item quality.
We'll probably see changes like this WAY later on, right now they full focused on bug fixing, broken quests, and consoles.

Nice to see people talking about it but it's not a priority, before that they'll need to fix tons of balance issues, starting from enemys to perks.

They could easily leave as is and introduce to vendors a item for sale that requires nothing but eddies and will add 1 mod slot to the item of your choosing with as ppl said a limit depending on rarity

Good idea and it shouldn't be a difficult thing to implement either. It could also work a bit like Larzuk in Diablo 2 with a bit more work (an npc who offers to socket items for money and/or crafting components). Adding the suggestion to the OP.

Last edited:
You can upgrade gear without speccing into crafting. I'm just suggesting upgrading gear already at your level instead adds mod slots up to the max.

Edit: And you can craft gear to get different modifiers.

Sure but why make changes to one system to fix a problem in another? The fundamental issue here is that loot whether crafted or dropped is subject to mod slot RNG. Just give every tier a fixed number of mod slots with a global change to loot itemisation and you have dealt with the save/reload timesink and RNG frustrations.

CDPR can then address crafting and upgrading at a later date as that system needs a significant overhaul to be enjoyable rather than a quick fix.

All three of my V's have speced into 18 technical as I am always a fan of in game crafting in games but I would not force that onto players who maybe do not like crafting stuff.

Top Bottom