People are missing the wood for the trees with artifacts

+
Every time I play against Eithne my units are always one 3 ping use of Eithne's ability away from from a massive scorch, epidemic or schirru, maybe one use of a spear or a thunderbolt boost on top of that. Lining up units with spears and thunderbolt potions alone can take multiple turns and you can play against that yet everyone is complaining about the artifacts. Seriously try to play artifact heavy ST deck without Eithne and witcher trio, it's a much more balanced deck even with undercosted 5 provision spears and shields.

Speaking of witcher trio, 12 point swing is a lot in new gwent, especially in archetype that is focused on removal where every point counts.

I fear that many cards will be unjustly nerfed because of Eithne's broken ability and witchers before everyone realizes what was truly the problem. I'd say, nerf Eithne first, like change her ability to do something completely different and frankly more interesting. Up the spear and shiled cost to 6 provision. Nerf witchers to 3 power instead of 4, keep provision at 7. Mathematically 8 provision and 4 power still makes it worth it to run them in every deck and 9 is way too much. This should drop Eithne's win rate enough to make it less popular without changing the way artifacts work.

It might be an unpopular opinion but artifacts kinda suck. You can't use just 2 or 3 of them in your engine deck for example. You just enable your opponet's removal which is supper efficient, D'ao puts 7 points on board, that's a lot and artifact removal itself costs like 2 provision. You either go all in on artifacts or put none in your deck.

Anyway that's just my opinion. Cheers.

Last edited:

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
The problem rarely lies with just one card. In this case, it's a whole array of things that give shape to the problem. Let's delve into those:

- Unit strength has a smaller variance (usually between 1 and 5), making it easy to align them for a Scorch/Epidemic/Schirrú/Regis.
- Order and leader abilities can be used on the same turn you play a card, meaning there is less (or no) time to react.
- Artifacts can only be countered by anti-artifact cards, which can be baited out.
- Buff/Ping artifacts are too flexible in usage and targeting.
- Eithné only does 3 damage, but it is very flexible and can be used every round.
- Eithné Artifact is arguably a fun deck to play (almost like solving a math puzzle). However, it's not fun to play against, regardless of the balance.
- Opening consisting of only artifacts is a boring play.

As for the Witcher trio:

- It's in the starter deck, so everyone and their goldfish can play it from the start.
- It's good thinning, where thinning in most decks is a commodity.
- It's an easy power swing when you need it.

Neither artifacts or Witchers should be nerfed by just tweaking the provision value. Instead, the devs should look at other ways to improve the balance. For artifacts, I suggested the following: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/equip-an-artifact-nerf-suggestion.10989100/. For the Witcher trio, it's tricky. Let me think about it.

@4RM3D I like your idea of equiping the artifact, even though I don't mind turn one artifact play. But still, what you proposed would be more interractive/interesting while balancing some artifacts. In fact, that could be a way of balancing Sihil too (you need a unit with power equal or higher than the damage Sihil can do in order to wield it, for example).

Having said that, I don't think Artifacts are that far off from the mark, pretty much as you said, it's a whole array of things that needs to be fixed and the game will be back up and running. Most of them aren't even that hard to fix (Eithne for example, could have 4 charges through the course of the entire game instead of resetting 3 damages each round).

For me personally, the Witchers aren't that hard either, they should be 3 power (thus providing thinning only without the ridiculous tempo).

Top Bottom