[POLL] The Multiplayer Thread

+

What do you think about Multiplayer?

• Total voters
It is of my opinion that if CDPR wants to aim high and go for the long run MP-wise, they should aim for something akin to EvE Online, sandbox games or survival games. Or something like ARMA RPG online communities. Not necessarily in terms of overall style to gameplay, but how players can build something in those games and expand it over time, or perhaps also lose it. Such as having gang wars over districts, areas they can gain or lose. Being able to make your own group that isn't just a gang (customization!) is also a good thing, so players can make corps and whatnot. Or perhaps through mods, plugins or whatever they can even police themselves (think of ARMA RPG communities).

Long-term MP doesnt sound very Cyberpunk to me, more like you get your 15 minute of fame and them you get shot down etc. Thats more Cyberpunk Spirit to me. Yeah, theres hundreds of as "hungry" people as you are. Not to mention its hard to get players for continous-online-mode these days.

Anyway, we know too little about what kind of MP they are giving us to have an opinion. My point is that for some games/series MP can actually make it more immersive. Cyberpunk imho belongs to that.

Long-term MP doesnt sound very Cyberpunk to me, more like you get your 15 minute of fame and them you get shot down etc. Thats more Cyberpunk Spirit to me. Yeah, theres hundreds of as "hungry" people as you are. Not to mention its hard to get players for continous-online-mode these days.

I actually think that "getting fame" and "continous online-mode" is not contradicting, but even supporting this. Especially in those games with a large online community or a larger or longer progression, what you do and how you market yourself is more vital than in some game with short rounds. A persistent open world, a bit MMORPG-like without saying you copy those clunkier mechanics, is better for this than a linear map with game modes like "TDM, CTF, ..."

Even though when I ask around in real life yes, many people usually say "They don't have time for this", with this meaning playing in some persistent or long-term MP mode opposed to short rounds.

While I get that preferences or possibilities are different in the end, I think that's a bit amusing. Why? Well, in online mode where you have such "long-term MP modes" (think of Minecraft, or ARMA RPG servers, or anything comparable, like EvE) with sandbox or emergent gameplay elements, I'd argue that you have it easier to progress and enjoy content or progression. What's more suitable if you have less time than others? Playing a game with short rounds that always reset but only let you progress as you play, or perhaps rather an online mode with an on-going world where you do not necessarily even need to play to progress if you are part of a group or faction?

Before it gets confusing, here's what I mean: You get home from work, never have that much time, you think playing games (in MP) that give fast feedback or "gratification" is better over playing games where the progression curve might feel longer. But here's the thing depending on what game we compare here: You only really progress in the "short round games" if you play, and progression might be rather limited by you gaining some valuables, rank, whatever, depends on the game.

But what about my preferred world to play in, a more open emergent or persistent one? The bonus is: You or your group might progress even if you do not play, as progression isn't solely tied to you. You might benefit as other people play while you are offline. If you have base building or safe-houses, etc. they could expand them when you can't. In fact I feel open world games with an emergent gameplay or world are better for those with less time than others.

But of course in the end it's a preference thing. I just feel that even those who think or actually have less time might benefit from such games.

But before this turns into a bigger 'essay' and speculation, in the end, we'll just have to wait and see.

I actually think that "getting fame" and "continous online-mode" is not contradicting, but even supporting this. Especially in those games with a large online community or a larger or longer progression, what you do and how you market yourself is more vital than in some game with short rounds. A persistent open world, a bit MMORPG-like without saying you copy those clunkier mechanics, is better for this than a linear map with game modes like "TDM, CTF, ..."

Even though when I ask around in real life yes, many people usually say "They don't have time for this", with this meaning playing in some persistent or long-term MP mode opposed to short rounds.

While I get that preferences or possibilities are different in the end, I think that's a bit amusing. Why? Well, in online mode where you have such "long-term MP modes" (think of Minecraft, or ARMA RPG servers, or anything comparable, like EvE) with sandbox or emergent gameplay elements, I'd argue that you have it easier to progress and enjoy content or progression. What's more suitable if you have less time than others? Playing a game with short rounds that always reset but only let you progress as you play, or perhaps rather an online mode with an on-going world where you do not necessarily even need to play to progress if you are part of a group or faction?

Before it gets confusing, here's what I mean: You get home from work, never have that much time, you think playing games (in MP) that give fast feedback or "gratification" is better over playing games where the progression curve might feel longer. But here's the thing depending on what game we compare here: You only really progress in the "short round games" if you play, and progression might be rather limited by you gaining some valuables, rank, whatever, depends on the game.

But what about my preferred world to play in, a more open emergent or persistent one? The bonus is: You or your group might progress even if you do not play, as progression isn't solely tied to you. You might benefit as other people play while you are offline. If you have base building or safe-houses, etc. they could expand them when you can't. In fact I feel open world games with an emergent gameplay or world are better for those with less time than others.

But of course in the end it's a preference thing. I just feel that even those who think or actually have less time might benefit from such games.

But before this turns into a bigger 'essay' and speculation, in the end, we'll just have to wait and see.

I wouldnt mind if they used Corps as inspiration for MP mode. Players use all kind of nasty stuff in order to prevent others getting power/money/whatever. From Wiki:

"Cutthroat" business culture is no longer a metaphor, as blackmail, extortion, bribery, kidnapping, espionage, and assassination have all become commonplace in the white-collar world."

That sounds like fun to me. You could throw all kind of crap on other players. I remember playing some web-browser game when I was kid, called Omerta. Dont know if it exists anymore though, but its one place to get inspiration.

Oh damn, good memories... But I guarantee, its concept is a gem in modern game world. If CDPR wants to go out of the box.

Last edited:
I'd love a MP. I think heists and a gang turf war styled mode would be pretty awesome. However they choose to implement something like that, i'd be pretty thrilled about.

I'd love a MP. I think heists and a gang turf war styled mode would be pretty awesome. However they choose to implement something like that, i'd be pretty thrilled about.

I first thought gang-war too, no doubt players would love it, but lets face it, Corps are way more significant in Night City than Gangs are.

I started brain-storm the Corp idea, it would be so fun if players could run own Corp and do some blackmail, extortion, bribery, kidnapping, espionage, and assassination missions, especially against other players, and of course think Corp management and such. But yeah, from business perspective its a shot in the dark, whether players like to play something like that or no.

Last edited:
I first thought gang-war too, no doubt players would love it, but lets face it, Corps are way more significant in Night City than Gangs are.

I started brain-storm the Corp idea, it would be so fun if players could run own Corp and do some blackmail, extortion, bribery, kidnapping, espionage, and assassination missions, especially against other players, and of course think Corp management and such. But yeah, from business perspective its a shot in the dark, whether players like to play something like that or no.

Fair point, but why not both in that case. Corpos & gangs ; )

I think they should do M.P. for one reason, Role play - i think this is a untapped market and i think they would be dropping the ball huge if they do not do it 1st.
Cause someone will and once they do, gta 5-6 maybe even 5?! All it takes it a mod team and boom gta's popularity will sky rocket and you missed the boat.

I would rethink things very carefully, i would want to do it, this would also bring back the 3rd person issues everyone wants and tbh i don't see why we just can't zoom out and or back in as nearly every other game in existence does this. The only issue i see with is in m.p. is seeing through walls, then again no-clip ?

idk just revisiting the thread to see the results and i am surprised, though statement i said way back when stands, add it for those that do and for those that don't, they get their S.P. we get our M.P. & S.P. and roleplay and replay ability of this game goes into the decades and not just a few months. But i mean you only been working on this for what? 10 years, i'd like if i ever worked on thing like this for it to last at least that. idk just me?

Good luck either way the waters seem to be rocky since last video, i'd regain all that as if nothing happen and do what most are saying except listening to the no-multiplayer issue. They do not have to participate in it, its that easy isn't it? don't lock the game out if people don't have internet that might be the issue people are upset about with m.p.

Quick edit:
Yea do the GTA thing - no subs - people that want to support servers get support for people that want online, let us i suppose do the server thing and you can step out of it, like how that old game quake 3 arena did it, people bought servers once the official ones went down and the game lived longer.

Another bone edit:
V.R. CyberPunk .... i mean really ? V.R. ROLE PLAYING Cyberpunk ... i mean how do you not want this... down the road of course.

If they were to turn this into a first-person only multiplayer game I would just write it off completely.

@CyberedPunk

Yes, they could tap into a big market. But only if "done (relatively) right".

For a negative counter-example, look at Fallout 76.

Ideally (from my eyes), eventual MP turns into something the community can customize further, akin to G-Mod, GTA or ARMA (Armed Assault).

Because then MP keeps itself going, while catering to many people at once.

A win for all but perhaps not easy to implement or get right.

Just like modding is a huge customer benefit but tricky to add as Pawel Sasko said in the community podcast (22) recently.

I would honestly like multiplayer, COOP, just something.

Not sure how'd I would want it handed, but being able to RP because of it sounds pretty fun to me.

I would like to have a social hub where we can hang out with other players dancing, having a good time and etc....... similar to what Sony did with PlayStation Home

I would like to have a social hub where we can hang out with other players dancing, having a good time and etc....... similar to what Sony did with PlayStation Home

Let's push the concept farther... CDPR could even make a similar service like PS Home, for the GOG Galaxy platform !
Starting with Cyberpunk and Witcher looks (virtual meeting points, avatar custom), and then (admitting that they make contracts with other companies), we could get other fun stuff coming. Just imagine how fun in would be to hang up at a "bar" and see tables where other avatars are playing Gwent, someone else making the DJ, etc...

Let's push the concept farther... CDPR could even make a similar service like PS Home, for the GOG Galaxy platform !
Starting with Cyberpunk and Witcher looks (virtual meeting points, avatar custom), and then (admitting that they make contracts with other companies), we could get other fun stuff coming. Just imagine how fun in would be to hang up at a "bar" and see tables where other avatars are playing Gwent, someone else making the DJ, etc...
I can entirely get behind this, especially if it stays there and we can avoid turning 2077 into "The Division"

The prime example of multiplayer for me is Portal 2,thats the type of multiplayer that i want,i wish Cyberpunk has an incredible fun coop campaign,but i personally dont need it but it will be an incredible bonus content for the game

The bad kind and the type that its likely to take is the Gta 5,the reason why im worried is that the game will be reduced into a cesspool of clickbait youtubers and 10 year olds but the worst part is that Cdpr maybe become the next Rockstar in a sense that why make single player content when you can make more money by focusing on the multiplayer aspect of the game,then slowly the focus will shift away from the single player content to more multiplayer content

Last edited:

Anybody know what happened to this?

"Cyberpunk 2077 To Feature Seamlessly Integrated Social Hub – Rumor"

Sorry for the necro, but do we know whether Digital Scapes were bought for this? Someone said I'd get a free copy of the game at launch if they weren't.

If CDPR can't say one way or the other for legal or other reasons, then they could give me one instead, and say they they're not saying one way or the other. ;)

I'm not keen on things getting "balanced" because of multiplayer content. I hate it when really cool things are nerfed into the ground in primarily single players games simply because there is a multiplayer feature and people scream and shout that other people are "OP".

Also, what would I even do in multiplayer? Why would I want that? Co-op? Maybe. Playing with other people that are just gonna sneak up on me when I'm crafting a nifty item to sell and gank me and take my shit? Nah.

Top Bottom