Provision caps and lack of diversity

+

Guest 4344268

Is it just me, or does it seem like there's less diversity in deck building than ever before? I'm currently at rank 5, and I've basically lost interest in pushing any further because of the ubiquitous Crach decks and the netdecked Morvran variants that differ from one another in only one or two cards. Obviously netdecks flood the game whenever "meta snapshots" come out, but it seems worse than ever at the moment...

On the one hand, I think the provision system makes a ton of sense as an additional lever to balance the game, but it also seems to have diluted the variety in deck building by establishing a fixed cap/cost for all leaders and cards. Everyone is clearly working with the same constraints, but before, you could run any four golds, any four silvers, and any bronze core you wanted. I'm not saying this was necessarily a better arrangement, but my impression is that there was more flexibility in deck building as a result (though there was obviously a lot of copycat netdecking in beta as well). Don't get me wrong: I think the provision system makes sense, but it may have also had this unintended side effect. Does anyone else feel this way?

Of course, the problem could also be the limited card pool, which I know will be expanding shortly (not to mention the difficulty of sticking cards to the board given all the removal). Anyway, I'm taking a break until the March expansion; I can't bear the thought of another paint-by-numbers Crach match-up.

The game is a bit stale which is why I play different stuff just for fun.

NG needs to be changed heavily. It's such a poorly designed faction. Reveal is worse than it's ever been since being put into the game in beta. It's a whole lot of boring RNG cards. On top of that you have NG cards that go into your deck and banish your best cards so you never even have the chance to play them. I can't believe developers thought that was a good idea.

Yes. There is variety but it's all the same key cards and concepts. For all the hype about the provision system it sure seems like every meta has devolved into stagnant rinse/repeat rather quickly for every HC season. A card here or there might be different but it's the same stuff over and over again.

Guest 4344268

Yes. There is variety but it's all the same key cards and concepts. For all the hype about the provision system it sure seems like every meta has devolved into stagnant rinse/repeat rather quickly for every HC season. A card here or there might be different but it's the same stuff over and over again.
Yeah, this is my feeling exactly. And I don't think it's just nostalgia for beta Gwent (where you also saw a lot of the same stuff over and over again); I just think the provision system inevitably tends toward more uniformly in deck building because of the constraints it imposes.

The problem for me is the lack of diversity between cards.

Sure I can run card X that does Y damage, instead of card Y that does X damage, but it does not change the way I play the game. This hurts my gaming experience way more than seeing my opponent playing the same deck. I can rotate Geralt professional out and replace him with Leo Bonhart, or remove Wolf pack and add some other vanilla damage 2/3 points card, but overall my strategy does not change, nor my immersion.

It feels like I'm playing the same deck, even when I switch faction!

The loss of armor, strengthening, the third copy of a card one row, plus iconic ability like the Dun Banner cavalry made the game less interesting to me. Hope the new expansion brings new abilities along some of the good old ones.

Top Bottom