Rant and some attempt of analysis of what is wrong in this game.

+
Burza46;n8992090 said:
We are looking into weather, since it's become auto-include in most archetypes.

It is good, but I'm interested in more how Devs view state of the removal cards (direct damage and weather together). I watched one of the podcasts and your representative stated that you wanted to promote more wide play in general but currently it not that viable. There is too much area of effect removal even without weather.

If you're concerned about weather you could try a general power boost across the board. So e.g. right now weather is strong because it can do 3-5++ damage per turn while the average play is only 10-12 power. On the other hand if the average play were 100-120 power, then 3-5 damage per turn is inconsequential. Obviously these are just numbers, and will need to be tweaked.

As a new player, my perspective is one of someone trying to get up and running competitively. I won't comment on faction balance since I don't fully understand it.

#1. It cost me $80 just to get a deck that is somewhat competitive. I still don't have all the needed cards for me to gain mmr though. Free kegs and all, at this point in the game you can't make a competitive deck without a significant investment.
#2. Way too many players are relying on gold and specials to win games and there is hardly any board interaction.
#3. Frost is just shitty to play against. I had to take breaks over a few days just to come back and play because of this one weather effect.
#4. The game doesn't have much rng the first round or two, but then round three is basically a coin flip. I'm getting to the point where I'm going to have to see a psychiatrist because of bad luck mulligans on turn 3.

If number 2 and 3 especially don't get resolved, I don't feel like I can invest any more money or time into your game.

Jeydra;n8992520 said:
If you're concerned about weather you could try a general power boost across the board. So e.g. right now weather is strong because it can do 3-5++ damage per turn while the average play is only 10-12 power. On the other hand if the average play were 100-120 power, then 3-5 damage per turn is inconsequential. Obviously these are just numbers, and will need to be tweaked.

Why balance the whole game around weather when you can balance weather around the game (like pretty much anything else)?

Weather needs a fix and i'm really glad they are looking into it instead of just adding counter measures to weather that generate their own problems.

Shabob

1#
You are correct I don't like how game is focused around few expensive cards. I think no one would mind if we had cheaper gold cards that we can use to play but that is not the case.Gold cards are vital part of deck and without them you just can't play. Price tag on something that should be basic for every deck is not helping this game at all. Ok i get it some cards could be more expensive then other but cmon we need something to work with.

2# I tend to agree with this matches are way more fun when golds are not present. I would be nice if gold/silvers weren't auto include so we are not forced to use up all slots on them. I just find that golds in current state suffocate game to some extent.

3#
Well weather is was always issue but i find it now even harder to deal with since my units always take damage while before I had option to row stack and try to mitigate it.

4#
There is no rng even in round 3 you have strategy for all 3 rounds.

Laveley;n8947380 said:
Weather is another wild ride. Weather wasnt on a bad spot on the end of CB imo. Ok, it needed some tweaking maybe. Transform it on a Dot was a good call imo. But than they transformed it on DoT, removed the symmetrical weather, remove the weathers immunit and, transformed weather agile and all this changes at once created a whole set of new problems.

And with this whole new set of problems they tried to come up with some solutions. But than again, this solution created another problems... like most units being agile now, which kinda weakens the tactical aspect of a 3 row game and breaks immersion. Giving auto-include anti-weather mages + clear weather units to all factions which kinda ruins deck diversity and so on and so forth.

Wow, it's weird to think back through the chain reactions caused by the weather change.

When weather affected both sides, weather immune units were what allowed you to play weather decks. It was a powerful effect and you had to plan ahead to use it. Now there's no downside, so yeah just dump weather on your opponent. But CDPR recognized that was too powerful so they added all this anti-weather tech to every faction, and even with the additional cards the number 1 complain is still weather being too powerful.

I wish they could just rewind the weather change and all the subsequent balance changes. This is truly become Gwent: The Weather Card Game.

Top Bottom