Real or Memorex - The Mechanics Debate Thread

+
Being realistic I know the healing inhaler IS going to be in CP2077 (after all 80-90% of the target audience could care less about logic and would be perfectly happy if 'V' just regenerated health, in fact many may prefer it). That doesn't mean I can't point out the inherent farcical matter of it's inclusion in the game.

Ya know ...
Come to think of it ...
'V' regenerating health actually make mores sense the the inhaler :unsure:
Maybe its not like healing but more numbing the pain or something. I remember from a video that Mike went to a front medic or something and asked how to like get bullets out and shit. how to Heal the person. Like maybe the healing is only temporary and you have to quickly get to a medic or something

Maybe its not like healing but more numbing the pain or something. I remember from a video that Mike went to a front medic or something and asked how to like get bullets out and shit. how to Heal the person. Like maybe the healing is only temporary and you have to quickly get to a medic or something
We know from the demo that healing is done through an inhaler, the word healing is used so we have good reason to assume it isn't just a matter of ignoring wound penalties or preventing bleed-out, but is actually repairing structural integrity (allowing for more damage to be taken before death than without it). If you were just ignoring or stopping progressive effects of trauma I think the effects being temporary is sound, but it is difficult for me to think of why the repair would be stable enough to allow the user to take additional bullets but not be stable enough to last more than n minutes.

Ultimately, we know as a fact that the demo has wall running, double jumping, slow-mo/bullet-time like effects, & healing inhalers. The existence and effects of these are established arguing those is kind of pointless, I think the only arguments that makes sense at this point are ones to see if we can sufficiently rationalize the logic to determine whether or not we can personally accept them as consistent within the universe or not.

We know from the demo that healing is done through an inhaler, the word healing is used so we have good reason to assume it isn't just a matter of ignoring wound penalties or preventing bleed-out, but is actually repairing structural integrity (allowing for more damage to be taken before death than without it). If you were just ignoring or stopping progressive effects of trauma I think the effects being temporary is sound, but it is difficult for me to think of why the repair would be stable enough to allow the user to take additional bullets but not be stable enough to last more than n minutes.

Ultimately, we know as a fact that the demo has wall running, double jumping, slow-mo/bullet-time like effects, & healing inhalers. The existence and effects of these are established arguing those is kind of pointless, I think the only arguments that makes sense at this point are ones to see if we can sufficiently rationalize the logic to determine whether or not we can personally accept them as consistent within the universe or not.
We dont know the specifics of double jumping. We dont know if the wallrunning will be a simple wallrunning or prince of persia style.

We dont know the specifics of double jumping. We dont know if the wallrunning will be a simple wallrunning or prince of persia style.
WE don't, but some do as it has been implemented and shown in off in a demo. So there is a very low likelihood that any argument we make at this point regarding how or if it should be would have any impact, and have a decent chance of setting up expectations on how it should be that will most likely result in disappointment since the implementations we will argue for or against will be based more on platonic ideals than the practicalities of professional game design.

On the other hand, our arguments at this point do have a pretty good chance of affecting how we as players will receive these features. Will we be incredulous and thus have these features prevent us from really embracing the world, or can we figure out ways to make these features plausible so we can completely dive in?

Way I understood it, the wall-running is vertical, because the player hooks their arm blade into a wall to perch and drop down on people.

A little off tangent, but the universe isn't necessarily a perpetual motion machine, it COULD be, but much of what we've figured out this far points towards the likelyhood that it is not. We can't really prove that it is actually a fully closed system, and even if we could many universe models propose an end to it in some way like the big crunch or the decay of matter into a sea of free electrons.

This is very true. Which gets to how the laws of thermodynamics point out that perpetual motion machines are prone to the same weakness as everything else: You can't fight entropy.

It's also why you can't make a small perpetual motion machine. You need all of the space an entire universe has just to keep entropy at bay long enough for it to be useful :p

Hopefully it's more along the lines of Deus Ex where you can upgrade your standard jump with a high jump. Makes a lot more sense than a double jump.

Hopefully it's more along the lines of Deus Ex where you can upgrade your standard jump with a high jump. Makes a lot more sense than a double jump.

Although the DX high jump was pretty meh compared to Cpunk 2020.

A cyborg using Corvette Cyberlegsp can leap 13 meters, or more than 40 feet.

A Full Body Conversion with their frame built for speed and mobility can leap nearly 19 meters, or about 60 feet!

So, yeah, DX enhanced jump was kind of weaksauce compared to 2020.

If you have the appropriate cyber legs being able to single jump incredible distances is certainly reasonable. And using the blades on cyberarms to hook into a wall, while probably a bit messy (after all you're chopping a hole in the wall, debris) and noisy (again, you're chopping into a wall) is doable, expecting to play "Spiderman" probably (hopefully) isn't in the cards.

Care to explain healing inhalers to me without the use of magic?

I think, just like double jumps (which may probably looks more like wall runs from Titanfall) the "inhaler" is simply the "activer" of the Sandevistan speedware, just like in the book Hardware (Sarah have those in it), you need to inhale in the inhaler to activate your speedware (sandevistan are the cheap one, better one have a thought induced activer, if I recon correctly), it's in the pnp sourcebook, so I'd rather believe it than profane gamer journalists.

Last edited:
I think, just like double jumps (which may probably looks more like wall runs from Titanfall) the "inhaler" is simply the "activer" of the Sandevistan speedware, just like in the book Hardware (Sarah have those in it), you need to inhale in the inhaler to activate your speedware (sandevistan are the cheap one, better one have a thought induced activer, if I recon correctly), it's in the pnp sourcebook, so I'd rather believe it than profane gamer journalists.
Not a bad idea, but probably not.
After all you "need" useful drugs (magic potions) in a game so the players have a way to boost their characters performance during "Oh Shit!" situations but you don't want them playing the whole game with such heightened abilities.

As to the healers ... I'm pretty well resigned to it, even if it makes zero sense.

As to the healers ... I'm pretty well resigned to it, even if it makes zero sense.
Same and it all goes back to making a Game Playable vs Immersive for the Larger Crowd. Hopefully there will be options to tweak settings around on them, or just ignore them if need be on a self handicap run.

They had a drug in 2020 called Speedheal that had a regenerative effect, it probably works like Fallout's stimpacks increasing the speed of the body's natural reaction to injuries fast forwarding blood clotting and the various other processes of a wound healing. It wouldn't be a perfect heal but it would keep you alive long enough to get actual medical treatment.

On the double jump I would assume it would be a Cyber limb/leg upgrade composed of air jets.

On the double jump I would assume it would be a Cyber limb/leg upgrade composed of air jets.
I see it going a different way.

They had a drug in 2020 called Speedheal that had a regenerative effect, it probably works like Fallout's stimpacks increasing the speed of the body's natural reaction to injuries fast forwarding blood clotting and the various other processes of a wound healing. It wouldn't be a perfect heal but it would keep you alive long enough to get actual medical treatment.

Speedheal increased your natural healing by 1 additional point per day so it is a pretty big jump from 1 box in 24 hours to 1+ boxes immediately, but they've also had 50 years.

Speedheal increased your natural healing by 1 additional point per day so it is a pretty big jump from 1 box in 24 hours to 1+ boxes immediately, but they've also had 50 years.
There were also "Enhanced Antibodies" (+1 point healed per day) and "Nanosurgeons" (double healing rate) and of course hospitalization. But none of that was of any use during an actual battle, it just got you back on your feet faster in the days that followed.

Ahh I didn't know it took that long, never played but I have been reading the various books. I assumed the 2020 version was faster because in the stats I saw it said 1D6+1 hour(never played a PnP RPG), but that may have been for the side effects. Like you said though I would assume that by 2077 they could have a more potent/advanced version. I hope that what ever it is in game it has side effects, and that there are slower ways of healing with less risks.

Top Bottom