Red Dead Redemption 2 (Red Dead 3)

+
Sorry.

Long day, too many meetings accomplishing too little. Any humor that runs deeper than a Three Stooges nose twist is probably going to sail right over my head at the moment.
Not to worry, it's impossible to tell via text.

This is one of those situations where I know I'm in the minority (not in these forums, just at large) in terms of what I like/don't like in the game, so it's fun to turn the tables and pretend everyone else is crazy. :p

If you people think walking in your camp is slow, pssh, try walking at an Native American reservation. Ooooh my gosh it takes forever to walk out of that area.
Post automatically merged:

the horse physics
not-A-Okay-sign.jpg

Last edited:
I dont know if it gets harder or not later on but I tamed my first a wild horse and it wasn't nearly as hard as the first time I did it in RDR, plus I didn't really tame that many in RDR either to get any good at it.
This was just a few l stick movements and congratulations you tamed a wild horse increase bond as it still has some wild in it. I got bucked so many times in RDR it isnt funny.
Are Nokota Blue Roans an easy tame in game or did they dumb it down some?

The one I got was a bit lighter with darker hindquarters than this.
I think they may have dumbed it down. :( I had the same experience - hopped on a horse, held the stick back, voila.

Even Breath of the Wild had more hardcore horse taming.

I fell off the wild white Arabian horse in the grizzlies about 10 times, but yeah most of the others have been easy.

I haven't tamed any wild horses yet, but it was surprisingly easy to "tame" someone else's horse.

I am kind of surprised by how many people don't like the cowboy sim parts, to each their own and all, but for me the story is enjoyable but the times I have the most fun are when I'm riding around in unknown country checking out the flora and fauna, figuring out new things, then running into other western folk with no/good/bad intentions.

I will say the horse physics...whew, it is kind of jarring when playing a game that is so tempered in order to present a "realistic" tone, then your horse hits a fallen tree limb and both of you go flying. Though it is such a stark contrast that it is kind of amazing, and I wouldn't change it for anything.

I saw the KKK near a barn today. I was out riding in the dark heading back to camp after a shooting spree in St. Denis. Out in the distance I saw bright orange lights deep in the woods, it was the only brightest thing aside from the moon. As I went closer I saw a dozen white hooded figures cheering. I crept a little more closer just to listen to them from a distance and learned they were initiating a new young member to the clan. So, now I'm just looking wanting to see where this is going and it seemed like they were having a great time. The kid was given a torch to light a 15 ft cross. As he approached, his attire caught on fire and it spread onto the other members and they all ran at different directions like frightened chickens, some bumping into others. I coulda played a Benny Hill song, haha. Karma got 'em.

I've just finished rdr2... masterpiece.

It revolutionizes open world games: main quest and side quests perfectly mix together, you never feel like you are in a hurrry to "save Ciri" but you stop for "finding a witcher armor set". Or you never collect all the possible loot in order to sell it, which breaks immersion even more if it's level based loot.

Yeah, I made this analogy on purpose, I really hope that cyberpunk 2077 wont' have the same kind of flaws.

Come on, CDPR, now you have an harder job if you want (as we hope) to make the best "7th-gen-game".

+1

I love the Witcher 3 and i think it was one of the best games released during its time.
But it had its fair amount of flaws too in my opinion, i would say it being open world crached with the main story narrative, and the leveling and loot system were in my opinion more fitted for an MMO than a Witcher game.

Wishfull thinking for Cyberpunk 2077.

Just finished it rockstar made the most expensive game in the game industry. The art and graphic is masterpiece full of details in this world However the core gameplay is mediocre and the clunky controls reminds me of some witcher. Rockstar and CDPR are more story teller than game designer in the game design area both of them need learn. That's why I love BOTW (Highest game this gen) more than other open world games Nintendo is a truely game design master. Now let's hope CP2077 will have better core gameplay than CDPR's previous game.

Just finished it rockstar made the most expensive game in the game industry. The art and graphic is masterpiece full of details in this world However the core gameplay is mediocre and the clunky controls reminds me of some witcher. Rockstar and CDPR are more story teller than game designer in the game design area both of them need learn. That's why I love BOTW (Highest game this gen) more than other open world games Nintendo is a truely game design master. Now let's hope CP2077 will have better core gameplay than CDPR's previous game.

I found BOTW super super boring, gameplay wise and world setting. Barely made it two hours in. If that.

Both RDR2 and W3 are well ahead in terms of fun gameplay and impactful storytelling. For me, anyway.

Opinions vary.

Something I just noticed last night, if you are on an HDR screen and turned that on when you first loaded up RDR2, go into settings and turn that off to compare. For my money the game looks MUCH better and oddly more vibrant if you do not "optimize" for HDR as that optimization appears to be just adding a weird fog that fades everything out and causes a lot of motion blur during intense scenes. Now I have a pretty middle of the pack 4k HDR TV, so your mileage may vary based on the model you have.

I've just finished rdr2... masterpiece.

It revolutionizes open world games: main quest and side quests perfectly mix together, you never feel like you are in a hurrry to "save Ciri" but you stop for "finding a witcher armor set". Or you never collect all the possible loot in order to sell it, which breaks immersion even more if it's level based loot.

Yeah, I made this analogy on purpose, I really hope that cyberpunk 2077 wont' have the same kind of flaws.

Come on, CDPR, now you have an harder job if you want (as we hope) to make the best "7th-gen-game".

I have the opposite feeling after I played the game.

You have problem choosing doing main quests or doing treasure hunt quests in Witcher 3, yet you have no problem with doing main mission or go spend days hunting animals in RDR2? In a open world game you choose how you spend your time. It revolutionized nothing in terms of mission design. It is worse as the mission design is still stuck at GTA3 2001 and all the other Rockstar open world games - accept mission, exposition on the road, kill waves of nameless npcs at the end. Pretty much all missions are like that. Random encounters on the roads are all predictable after seeing it once, just like the random encounters in Kingdom Come: Deliverance. This is a problem with script events, you can only do so much.

Loots on bodies are useless, waste of time and disrupt the flow of story in RDR2, upgrading the camp is useless other than unlocking fast travel. The only thing you can spend money on are cosmetic stuff as you can find all the guns in the wild. Maybe spend some money on special bullets, but this is also not needed as the game is ridiculously easy with auto aim and full heals.

The good things about RDR2 are the game world is beautiful, graphic/animations (I don't like the time wasting animations like skinning animals after 10s of animal I skinned.) are great. The passage of time - carcass decomposition, some buildings and roads build up over time. Voice acting is top notch. Story is simple but great, it makes me almost cry when you put on your hat and that music started playing as you ride to your camp.

All in all, CDPR have nothing to fear regarding quest design as they are miles better than Rockstar, pretty much all other open world games have better quest designs than Rockstar. All their main missions are very restrictive and linear where it would fail the second you do anything out of the ordinary. I'm pretty disappoint in RDR2, I hoped Rockstar can learn and get with the time by improving their mission design, but it is still the same thing as their other games.

Last edited:
'Quest design is miles better than Rockstar.'..Volition already did this in Saints Row 3...

Don't get me wrong, I still love GTA5 and RDR, but the missions were like pulling teeth.

Watching the post epilogue credits role right now. Great story, great gameplay. Definitely the best game I've played so far this year. A part of me hopes they release an updated RDR1 as an expansion to RDR2, since the two games are so intertwined.

I have the opposite feeling after I played the game.

You have problem choosing doing main quests or doing treasure hunt quests in Witcher 3, yet you have no problem with doing main mission or go spend days hunting animals in RDR2? In a open world game you choose how you spend your time. It revolutionized nothing in terms of mission design. It is worse as the mission design is still stuck at GTA3 2001 and all the other Rockstar open world games - accept mission, exposition on the road, kill waves of nameless npcs at the end. Pretty much all missions are like that. Random encounters on the roads are all predictable after seeing it once, just like the random encounters in Kingdom Come: Deliverance. This is a problem with script events, you can only do so much.

Loots on bodies are useless, waste of time and disrupt the flow of story in RDR2, upgrading the camp is useless other than unlocking fast travel. The only thing you can spend money on are cosmetic stuff as you can find all the guns in the wild. Maybe spend some money on special bullets, but this is also not needed as the game is ridiculously easy with auto aim and full heals.

The good things about RDR2 are the game world is beautiful, graphic/animations (I don't like the time wasting animations like skinning animals after 10s of animal I skinned.) are great. The passage of time - carcass decomposition, some buildings and roads build up over time. Voice acting is top notch. Story is simple but great, it makes me almost cry when you put on your hat and that music started playing as you ride to your camp.

All in all, CDPR have nothing to fear regarding quest design as they are miles better than Rockstar, pretty much all other open world games have better quest designs than Rockstar. All their main missions are very restrictive and linear where it would fail the second you do anything out of the ordinary. I'm pretty disappoint in RDR2, I hoped Rockstar can learn and get with the time by improving their mission design, but it is still the same thing as their other games.

Of course I have no problems in spending days going hunting as long as the narrative is coherent with that, which is not in TW3. You need to save Ciri, no time for helping some random peasant. It would be perfect if left as an end game activity or if the story was told in a different way (it's geralt's job but not his priority since he needs to find ciri first), but not how it is. Same for the fact that Geralt of Rivia, master witcher, butcher of blavikhen, is a level 3 guy who is absolutely destroyed by some random lvl 7 wild wolf while he has a 5 lvl-12-swords in his bag that he cannot handle for some mysterious reason. Is that immersive?

What you say it's useless in rdr2, it's actually not, since it's there for the purpose of immersion, including all those animation (which I hope will be included in CP2077 since they claim they want to give a complete immersion)

"open world" means that the map is open, not what you claim. "Sandbox" is the world for that and neither of the 2 games is a sandbox (try to kill some random NPCs in novigrad). Zelda and skyrim are open world sandboxes.

One of the witcher 3's flaws was exactly the quest design (all missions are the same: go there, talk with some guy, kill monsters and sometimes use the witcher senses to find hints), so I wouldn't say that CDPR did better. What is better in TW3 is the narrative behind the secondary quests (excellent, one of the best ever), but RDR2 has a better story telling in the main quest, in particular considering photography and direction which is as good as hollywood movies.

So I've been playing a lot of Red Dead Redemption 2, and I have to say I still think it is a good game, I have no regrets about buying it, but the honeymoon is definitely over and it has begun to show its seams.

They have both done too much and too little to create a realistic involved world. The amount of effort they have put into it makes it more jarring when you encounter some very gamey aspect which breaks the illusion. For example the random scripted events are meant to be temporary and isolated to the point that if one generates a wagon, you steal it, take it across the map, but then get off of it and run to the other side of a building it will immediately disappear.

Aside from that, there are issues with the crime handling, like I was pickpocketed in the "big city" so I ran after the culprit and without pulling my gun or making any physical contact with the pickpocket they eventually stopped and gave me back my money, which the game then considered "robbery" earning a $5 bounty and turning all of the lawmen to converge on my location using lethal force rather than letting me turn myself in.

Last but probably most frustrating is that the game constantly takes the reins preventing you from actually playing because something is supposed to happen. I've ridden past a quest giver at a full gallop only to have my horse stop and Arthur get off the horse, every time I got back on the horse Arthur would get back off, if I just tried to walk away the further I got the slower I could walk and run was disabled. I've had cutscenes remove Arthur's mask and then get immediately identified after the the cutscene, and many other minor times when the game prevented me from playing it or forced an action or outcome that was contrary to the actions I was taking while pretending to give elevated freedom.

It is good, I still feel like I'm playing a decent western. It can be a little hackney at times or it repeatedly uses the same narrative a few times over, but then it can be amazing at other times. So I still suggest it, but I can now only consider it a good game not a great one.

i am now in the epilogue and boy was the main story good!!!!!! i even dare to think its better than Witcher 3 loool maybe i am starting getting old and senile. So i must play Witcher 3 another time and RDR2 a second time. Music i like waaaaay better in Witcher 3. Narrative like the drawn pictures are reeeeeally better in Witcher 3 and the girls are better. I don't know but in Red Dead Redemption 2 is everything that i couldn't do in Witcher 3. Main Story is so good but what makes me a little bit angry is you can see how empty the world is after the main story is over because its for Multiplayer. In Witcher 3 you have instead the best Sidequests. But right now i would say main story is in Red Dead better and only because the talking in Witcher 3 was so much but still epic but main story in Red Dead is so diverse. My honest opinion is wait for sale because right now its slightly overpriced but if you only play main storys and have not so much time Red Dead is your game. If you go hunting, challenges, poker then you can get your time but Red Dead Redemption 2 has collecting like Assassin's Creed. 144 if i am not mistaking cigarette pictures which is a disgrace. 10 mountain pictures, 30 bone collectings, treasure looting i like in Witcher 3 better. I don't know man but Red Dead Redemption 2 has the best hunting system ever. So if you like hunting in games its your game. Horse riding is atrocious i fast traveled in the first RDR after i beat 100% but here oh boy. But great game if you can value main story and slow pace but later it really is only shooting but still too easy. I like the shooting in Doom better. The Sidequests in Witcher 3 better but main story is so good. Multiplayer will be a beast but for main story only wait for sale or maybe a little bit discount.

edit: but yes i think RDR2 is slightly overhyped but has a really good main story but Witcher 3 had an epic main story plus 100 sidequests or more so Witcher 3 has now maybe worse graphics but is overall the better package. Its still ahead of its time. Other people may dislike the main story in RDR2 so they can say Witcher 3 is way more epic.

But now comes my honest opinion. I have never seen such a diverse main story as in Red Dead Redemption 2 and it even better story than RDR1 , a better beginning and a good ending so you can't say something was cut out. The DLCs are a joke don't buy but main story is epic. I must play Witcher 3 another time lol
The Girls in Witcher 3 are waaaaay more hot!!!!

Witcher 3 in terms of Content, Girls, Sidequests is on my first place of all time games.
Origins is second only because i like egypt, Sidequests and landscapes so much.
Red Dead Redemption 2 has the maybe best main story of them all and the crazy graphics, world and everything you can't do in the W3 and Origins.
They are pretty close the three games in my Top 3. God of war i also must play, haven't played it yet. But the boooy i don't like. my horse is a good boy.
Dragon Quest 11 is on the fourth place.

so don't hate me :D and goodbye

Last edited:
Top Bottom