release the meshes

+
release the meshes

Let's get down to the real nitty gritty. How about release the model's meshes and letting us have a go at fixing up the characters a bit?Give us the max files and I guaranty you will see high quality results in character builds, armor, clothing and sparked desire in expansion of fan mods.We just need that missing link and witcher will become the next oblivion.Or better yet, a direct export/import plugin 3ds that allows us to export meshes directly out of the game, edit them and bring them back in (better, faster, stronger).Is that too much to ask for? :wall:

For example it would be nice to have some female zerrikanian warriors, as I saw in the wiki... :)bye

the one's you see on the english wiki (if that is the one you mean) are from the movie / TV series, they are not game models, sadly :wave:

bumpBumping a thread that is on page 1 after 12 hours is not acceptable. Next offence will result in a warning.

Bumping, especially after one day, is not an acceptable practice here. Please behave and do not anger the mods.

:eek: Sorry, brand new, didn't realize it was an issue. didn't see the post in the list, thought it was moved down further, turns out it was moved to a different spot.

Now, excuse my lack of knowledge on the topic, but couldn't one simply look through D'jinni which meshes are which, and then change those with Blender or 3DSMax? ???

TheSilver said:
Now, excuse my lack of knowledge on the topic, but couldn't one simply look through D'jinni which meshes are which, and then change those with Blender or 3DSMax? ???
If only it were that simple.The game's models are stored in a format that needs special procedures for importing/exporting it to/from an editing application. So far all we have is an export plugin for 3DSMax->MDL exporting, an import plugin for MDL->3DSMax importing (NWMax) that's not entirely compatible with the exporter, and Djinni can compile MDL->MDB. There is, so far, no MDB->MDL decompiler, which would complete the set.

Ailinon is absolutely correct. it's a real shame too, if this were made available to the community we would be able to correct minor flaws in the models, re-skin them to our liking and fully customize the game. UV Mapping would then be possible and the whole game would go to the next level. It would more than pique more interest in customization, mods would be popping up all over the place and sales would go insane. unfortunately, it would seem that, after a year on the market they would have opened this up by now and let the modders have their way with the game. perhaps someone will come up with a clone (like two worlds was to oblivion) and maybe the clone will afford us the luxury of customizing. or maybe if enough people ask for it, we may receive it. State your opinions here, maybe we can make a difference!

Ahh, thank you, Ailinon, I wasn't aware of those problems.Now I can see the problem. Hmmm, it would indeed be good if we could access the meshes and change them.

Reskinning is easy as 1-2-3, however - you can quite well change existing textures, or add new ones for your new characters on existing models by adding new "head and body" replacements to appearances.2da .

sort of, you don't really have a UV map to go by, you have an existing dds file that you try and figure out were everything is at. Much simpler with the map. But yes re-skinning can be done with what we have now.

Ailinon said:
Reskinning is easy as 1-2-3, however - you can quite well change existing textures, or add new ones for your new characters on existing models by adding new "head and body" replacements to appearances.2da .
Hm, that makes me think of something, say Ailinon, is it possible to change only the head of Geralt into another one in the appearance.2da, say we Yaevin, and then play with the Geralt-player template that is looking like Yaevin? You know what I mean, playing the normal Geralt-body with all his abilities and swords and armors but with head looking as Yaevin?

Ailinon said:
Sounds like you do not have the problem with the partly invisible becoming characters. What I do wrong, that there is nothing of my character with modified textures then eyes, teeth and something that resemble the reflection after I talk to them.

Either that, or you didn't supply a normalmap/specular image (these are the ones with 'n' after the body/head set number) if you're adding a new texture set. Are you, or are you just editing an existing texture?

I first just edited the normal one of the little bald salamandra thug so that it look like a cultist of the lion head spider and added the original specular image for my new appearance. It looked like it worked. But I noticed that the specular image still shows the salamandra sign. So I edited it. But then the character looked like I describe in my last post after talking to him. So I added the standard specular image again. But this does not change anything.

I don't know how it works in other games or how proficient in texturing 3D models you are, but in Witcher the specular channel is taken from the alpha of the normalmap image. Have you been editing that, or are you talking about something else?The "proper" method to add appearances is to add a new line to appearance.2da, for example, copying the cr_citi2_c1g1 line to look like:729 cr_citi2_c2g2 cr_citi2 2 2 then copy some files:cr_citi2_c1.dds -> cr_citi2_c2.ddscr_citi2_c1_n.dds -> cr_citi2_c2_n.ddscr_citi2_g1.dds -> cr_citi2_g2.ddscr_citi2_g1_n.dds -> cr_citi2_g2_n.ddsAnd if you now start editing those files, keeping in mind to always save in DXT5 format and keep alpha channels saved, there shouldn't be any problem with anything disappearing, when using the new cr_citi2_c2g2 appearance.

Top Bottom