Relying on map for directions

+
Relying on map for directions

Traversing the vast landscapes, the vast cities are some of the things I enjoy while playing TW3. To me this game is the closest to what I expect from RPG genre. There's one thing that I think could be made a step forward and that's the reliance of map for directions.

I like playing TW3 with as clear HUD as possible which means no minimap, active quests and other HUD clutters. With this setup, I have no choice but to rely on clicking M to open up map to see where I need to go for my objectives. It's not so much of a hassle and problem for quests that ask me to use my witcher sense to track things to the objective, which usually is monster to kill. The problem is more for objectives that require me to go to another areas that are too far away for witcher sense to be useful.

So, I've thought of this idea and while it might not be ideal, I'm hoping it could be the basic idea to open up more plausible ideas that not only help get rid the reliance of having to use map, it also relatively easy to implement by CDPR. The idea I have in mind is tied to using witcher sense; depending on where Geralt is, using his witcher sense will reveal a faint red cloud over the general direction to where the objective location is, the nearer Geralt is the brighter and more vivid the red color aura is till it highlights the exact location(can be building, person,etc...). This idea will somewhat reflect where Geralt would probably have asked the villagers, guards or anyone else for directions along the way in real life to reach the destinations he wants to go.

Please feel free to add your comments below and hope we can come up with the best idea that hopefully CDPR would implement as patch :)

PS: Hit submit too fast and realize that the title is not really right for this topic, unfortunately, I can't edit it :(

So you hit a button and it tells you exactly where to go?

Woudln't that kind of wipe out the need to do any work on our part?

I think the Op is saying " they Do Not use the mini map and they never want to use the Main Map " , they just want a faint idea if the direction to go in for the quest they are on

with NO compass in the game if you Do not have your mini map up you only have the sun / moon to give you a general idea of your direction .

Sign Posts are all written in A foreign script so you can not even use those to Navigate by if you don't want to use a map in the game .

it is Very easy to be a few degrees off of the direction you want to be going in , especially when riding the horse as Roach has a mind of her own and often veers off to the left or right and you correct it but without a mini map you are now 20 degrees off your intended direction and end up having to back track to get to a place that looks familiar to again try to go in the direction you really want to go .

I am Currently playing with No Mini Map, and No Main map at all ( for reasons ) and with no compass and no Street signs to give you any directions it is extremely easy to end up going off course or worse go in circles ( yes i have gone in circles quite a few times , you get in combat and end up with no idea what direction you were facing )

Compared to the Quest helper Icon on the Mini Map that shows you Exactly what direction to go in, making use of a Witcher sense to do basically the same thing IMO wouldn't hurt at all,

and If it did not work within a 20 mile radius of your objective it would only get you on the Extreme outskirts of the general area you want to be around to find the next objective in your quest .

Positive - another use of Witcher senses , helps a little for people who don't use maps to get them on the extreme outskirts of where they have to go , a very general direction if done correctly ( see Note below )

Negative - can't think of 1 as it doesn't effect anyone else's game play, they are already playing with No Map, No Mini Map ,No Compass , and No Street signs . One tool to give them a very vague sense of direction doesn't seem bad to me.

Note : the Red Mist in the direction you need to go Should Not have the Middle of the Cone point at the exact direction, the Location could be Anywhere in the direction of the mist, it might be off to the far left or the far right or anywhere in between , Example : Point a flashlight in the dark, it shines out in a Cone in front of you say 5 feet long and 5 feet wide ,,, the location could be on the tip of either end, in the middle or anywhere in-between , it would be random and can only be used once every 5 minutes <-- this on top of it only getting you within 20 miles of the objective gives only the vaguest help .

doubt it will happen for you , but i wish you luck :)

Last edited:
@Giralus You hit the nail on the idea I'm proposing an thanks for expounding it further. I just think that it would be enjoyable for those of us who prefer to traverse the lands without the help of minimap or map as a whole and I honestly think CDPR could pull this off rather well.

The only thing that I'm not sure is the complexity of the programming involved to make this happen...

Top Bottom