Replaying the old ones

+
Doesn't sound convincing. The village elder is the daughter of the Vault Dweller and mother of the Chosen One. Did she glorify her father in such a way? It's like the Vault Dweller, while still being alive, encouraged these primitive screwheads to worship him/herself. But not only them, but his own kid as well. Instead of enlighten the folk. While it's definitely possible, the game presents it with a straight face, and it's a problem for me.

I feel it follows exactly the path of many primitive cultures (and some remaining tribal cultures in the world today). Tough, perhaps, for people in our far more secular societies to accept as "likely" today, but part of studying historical and pre-historical societies is to consciously set aside "what we know now".

Fallout 1 clearly went to great lengths to portray its world as a new "Medieval Age". From the feudalistic societies led by warlords, to the barter system economics, to the quasi-religious orders of "knights" in the Brotherhood of steel, to the heretical, spiritually corrupted cult of The Master and the FEV. In that same line, it's easy to see that a bunch of uneducated people scratching a living off the land would "deify" a figure of legend that happened to walk into their midst. Did the wife believe it? Maybe she did. But even if she didn't, the rest of the society clearly did. Welcome to celebrity. It doesn't matter who one actually is, it matters what everyone else believes one is. The individual has little to no say in this. Same for the kid. (I think, like most of the game, this was intentional, social satire.)

By visual inconsistency I mean visual and stylistic difference between re-used assets from FO1 and some newly created assets for FO2. It was rather distracting and made the game feel like a fan modification at times.

That's what I meant about the limited graphical capabilities. Hard to simultaneously create variety, subtlety, and a unified tone when the dev team is limited to basic color crayons. I can sort of see what you mean with the approach for certain things, but I'm sure art assets were rushed along at some point. I do remember feeling some of the assets were less polished than others. Nothing that ruined my day, though.

Humor is great, but there should be time and place. I enjoyed the humor, but I believe it spoiled the mood of the game.

This I couldn't disagree more with. The first and second game were not taking themselves seriously at all. Constantly breaking the 4th wall, constant pop culture references, what I felt was a brilliant mix of in-your-face, Mel-Brooks-style humor with a very dark undercurrent. It was the same type of engrossing, absurdist experience as Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy or Dr. Strangelove.

Take Harold, for instance. A mutant, who was alive pre-war, and had mutated to have a tree growing out of his head. And yet despite the ridiculous humor that was instantly engaging, learning about his past was almost a tear-jerker. Like Shakespeare, the game knew how to lift the player's spirits so they could drop it from a higher point in other parts. (Although, it's fair that not everyone will like such a style and approach.)

I feel the Bethesda games (while fun in their own right) completely missed where the energy and weight of the originals came from. FO3 did a decent job, while feeling a bit flat. FO4 totally missed the mark.

I feel it follows exactly the path of many primitive cultures (and some remaining tribal cultures in the world today). Tough, perhaps, for people in our far more secular societies to accept as "likely" today, but part of studying historical and pre-historical societies is to consciously set aside "what we know now".

Fallout 1 clearly went to great lengths to portray its world as a new "Medieval Age". From the feudalistic societies led by warlords, to the barter system economics, to the quasi-religious orders of "knights" in the Brotherhood of steel, to the heretical, spiritually corrupted cult of The Master and the FEV. In that same line, it's easy to see that a bunch of uneducated people scratching a living off the land would "deify" a figure of legend that happened to walk into their midst. Did the wife believe it? Maybe she did. But even if she didn't, the rest of the society clearly did. Welcome to celebrity. It doesn't matter who one actually is, it matters what everyone else believes one is. The individual has little to no say in this. Same for the kid. (I think, like most of the game, this was intentional, social satire.)
I don't have a problem with primitive tribes per se. Raise of cults can be a coping mechanism or a new ideology in context of the apocalypse. Or various shady dealings, that hide behind fake "enlightenment" and spirituality (like the cult of Master). Cults always raise head when societies are in disarray. It makes sense in context of the vanished civilization too. But I still can't accept the way the VD is written into the tribe. His (apparently it's a canon) child is another primitive screwhead, and the grandkid can talk differently from everyone else. Which again doesn't make sense if everyone else supports the cult of the Chosen One.
This I couldn't disagree more with. The first and second game were not taking themselves seriously at all. Constantly breaking the 4th wall, constant pop culture references, what I felt was a brilliant mix of in-your-face, Mel-Brooks-style humor with a very dark undercurrent. It was the same type of engrossing, absurdist experience as Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy or Dr. Strangelove.

Take Harold, for instance. A mutant, who was alive pre-war, and had mutated to have a tree growing out of his head. And yet despite the ridiculous humor that was instantly engaging, learning about his past was almost a tear-jerker. Like Shakespeare, the game knew how to lift the player's spirits so they could drop it from a higher point in other parts. (Although, it's fair that not everyone will like such a style and approach.)

I feel the Bethesda games (while fun in their own right) completely missed where the energy and weight of the originals came from. FO3 did a decent job, while feeling a bit flat. FO4 totally missed the mark.
I didn't say FO1 took itself 100% seriously. But shift in tone was pretty apparent to me. Perhaps due to proportions of serious and funny. There was less Guide and Strangelove in FO1 than in FO2. Or more like It was more subtle, imo.

Also, I'd like to point out again, that while I prefer the tone of FO1, I still consider FO2 to be a great game, that is much better than anything that came after. Overall, a worthy successor despite shortcomings. I played it a lot more as a kid, it's just I have a different perspective on the classics as I'm older now. I appreciate more about them, at the same time I noticed something I didn't even care about 20 years ago.

Bethesda FO games are shit. From ugly visuals to flat writing, to murdered atmosphere. I tried FO3 and FO4, but I didn't play New Vegas, since it's made with the same assets as FO3. I won't be able to play it. Potato faces of characters make we want to vomit, not talk with them. It's like FO3/NV were made with character editor of Dark Souls. I read people compliment visuals of Beth's FO games, but I think they took art of Fallout in the wrong direction and executed it poorly.

What was the 10+ years old title what you replayed last time?

Settlers 3 and Caesar 3. Both originally released in 1998, but they still look pretty good considering their age and I still love the gameplay (although Caesar 3 has quite a few bugs and missing features I've never noticed until I saw a youtube video about it lately). Late 90s and early/mid 2000s were the golden age of strategy games. Settlers, Caesar, Zoo Tyconn, AoE, Battle for Middle-earth, Paraworld.... Man, I miss those times. It's so hard to find good RTS games today. I hope Relic doesn't mess up Age of Empires 4. The only newer strategy game I really enjoyed was Frostpunk, great game.

Last edited:
Settlers 3 and Caesar 3.

Kudos to both! I used "Plebeian" as a nickname for years because of the Caesar games. The Settlers is a great series, and I'd say 3 and 4 are my favorites by far.

I also remember Knights and Merchants being fun, but maintaining armies was a real mess. Totally dragged the gameplay down to a crawl (...and consider the genre for a minute...:oops:...)

Guest 3847602

It's so hard to find good RTS games today.
Cossacks 3, Sudden Strike 4, and Ancestors Legacy are all fairly recent and pretty awesome.
If you like turn based combat you might want to try Panzer Corps, a spiritual successor to Panzer General (although that one is 7 years old already).
Speaking of old favorites that are not mentioned yet: Panzer General 2, Stronghold Crusader, Empire Earth and Grand Prix Legends.

Last edited by a moderator:
I miss the Ultima series...

I finished Ultima III: Exodus, Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny (and the Lazarus remake!), Ultima VI: The False Prophet, Ultima VII: The Black Gate, Ultima VII part 2: Serpent Isle, Ultima VIII: Pagan and Ultima IX: Ascension. Also played quite a bit of Ultima Online.

About to install Ultima IV for the first time and give it a shot...

Paradoxes Grand Strategy games are RTS and very popular. Though they are not "tactical" really at all.

I'm playing Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age on PS4 and loving it again. FFXII is IMO a horribly underrated game.

I want to replay Dungeon Keeper 1-2. I adored these games back in the day. If even I'm not the biggest fan of strategy games. DK1 was so much fun. Molyneux created great stuff in 90s.

This intro kicked so much ass for me:

The sequel was more goofy, took itself much less seriously (or not seriously at all), but still good.

Last edited:
I miss the Ultima series...

I finished Ultima III: Exodus, Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny (and the Lazarus remake!), Ultima VI: The False Prophet, Ultima VII: The Black Gate, Ultima VII part 2: Serpent Isle, Ultima VIII: Pagan and Ultima IX: Ascension. Also played quite a bit of Ultima Online.

About to install Ultima IV for the first time and give it a shot...

I will always nod in support of Ultima love.

Molyneux created great stuff in 90s.

Black and White 1 & 2 were excellent fun. 2 is my favorite by far, but 1 had so much charm.

B&W1 looked SO impressive in 2001. But I didn't play anything from him from 2000s. I guess I'll need to try some games one day.

From strategy genre there was Starcraft what I played for 2 years when it was released. I still have a boxed version with the printed handbook, contains lot of background stuff. Ground Control more a tactical game but an other one what I loved back then. Oh, and Starsip Troopers:

Recently finished Gabriel Knight: Beast Within [1995] Very good game with interesting story and
some nice puzzles.

Never tried any of Gabriel Knight games. I need to add it to a bunch of FMV games I always wanted to try. I'm not a fan of FMV games overall. I played only few of them, but they were mediocre at best - 7th Guest, 11th Hour, Congo... They quickly lost their appeal with arrival of 3D.

Heroes of Might & Magic III has been installed on my computers since the release in 1999. I have a friend that is equally fond of it so it's always HOMMIII in hotseat when we have our "guys night" once every 6 month or so. It's the best in the series and still going strong.

Heroes of Might & Magic III has been installed on my computers since the release in 1999. I have a friend that is equally fond of it so it's always HOMMIII in hotseat when we have our "guys night" once every 6 month or so. It's the best in the series and still going strong.

I never cared for the campaigns in HOMM, but we've put a ridiculous amount of hours in the hot seat matches with a friend since the very first game in the series.

Too bad it might not see continuation anymore after the 7th game flopped and the team got sacked (unless there's some recent news I'm not aware about). The series has been under a number of developers, so "never say never" I guess, but it doesn't look very promising.

Top Bottom