Romance: Quality over quantity, V

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will have to side with more quality like being able to take your romance option out for repeatable dates and booty calls every few hours real time spent in the game .also maybe just call them over to spend time with v to watch the tv or just to hang out for a while maybe they fall asleep and have v's romance option wake up beside v on the couch. sometimes they call v and they ask v out. This would make it feel more like a romance option if it is added to the game .

I wish Kerry wasn't gay but I respect Dev decision. Also Blue Moon are so damn cute. There is few characters that I wished to have a closer relationship but can't.

There is also a problem with CDPR talking they remove gender from character screen since you can be whoewer you want. But then they lock romance options gender wise....
Not to mention romance is lacking and cut almost at the point its started.

I think it would be better to have more content with current romances than to create more romance options.
I really doubt that CDPR will be able to create another straight woman on a similar level at Panam, she just perfect.
No piercing. No many tattoos. She has nothing cyber on her body.

The Problem that by adding 1 more option and you would have to create 3 more. And it would take a lot of work to create enough content so you wouldn't be so far behind the others.
Or create 1 bisexual man and woman.
or create a customizable romance option with a story already defined with the same tool that you create V. And then you could make the character look like you prefer.

I really get why Goro isn't a possible love interest so far. He has a mission to fulfill and Takemura explains that the only thing that has ever given his life a purpose is Arasaka. He seems like an ancient Samurai to me.

I think these flirty vibes between V and him (i play female, don't know how it's with a male V) are there on purpose, but his mission is much more important to think about a romance with a dying merc.
I don't think the devs cut a possible romance due to the lack of time. It's just not appropriate currently.

But it would be possible to bring in a romance with a dlc, when V chooses the Arasaka ending (and find a cure in the future). I could imagine to leave NC and follow him to Japan.

I can't believe we won't see him again. Every romance in this game follows a specific path and it's only possible to keep your love interest if you take this path. Why should it be different with Goro?
What do you think? If they can improve the relationships, they can add one 😅

I really get why Goro isn't a possible love interest so far. He has a mission to fulfill and Takemura explains that the only thing that has ever given his life a purpose is Arasaka. He seems like an ancient Samurai to me.

I think these flirty vibes between V and him (i play female, don't know how it's with a male V) are there on purpose, but his mission is much more important to think about a romance with a dying merc.
I don't think the devs cut a possible romance due to the lack of time. It's just not appropriate currently.

But it would be possible to bring in a romance with a dlc, when V chooses the Arasaka ending (and find a cure in the future). I could imagine to leave NC and follow him to Japan.

I can't believe we won't see him again. Every romance in this game follows a specific path and it's only possible to keep your love interest if you take this path. Why should it be different with Goro?
What do you think? If they can improve the relationships, they can add one 😅
Many of the characters felt like they would get more time and be eventually romance options, most outstanding there is probably Stout and then Takemura. CDPR is very definitive in designing characters along some obvious archetypes, for example Takemura being that loyal honorable samurai, entirely dedicated to his oaths, Stout being that ruthless strict mistress that enforces her will and way in life. It is understandable why many wish to crack that hard exterior and expose them as people with their own fears and virtues, leading of course to fall in love. And CDPR did their best to give us these personalities, make them relatable and give us desire to learn more about them. You noticed they give you brief moments where you can glimpse inside Takemura's past and evaluate his convictions but it feels unfinished. The text messages again expose bit of his quirky boomer side which ends up being adorable. No one will blame you for wishing to get closer to him.

And these 2 are corpo romances essentially, corpo path to me seems non existant, I was expecting at some point to be given the option to switch to corpo from street kid, as I felt joining Aldecaldos would take me onto the nomad path, but didn't feel like that ever happened with corpo really?
Now @andrezzyn up above your post noted very correctly why some decisions likely weren't followed tru. If you were to add Takemura, you have another male option, well then you have to add another female option, okey, he is straight? Well then the female has to be straight, but then what about the gay male and female, well you gotta add those 2 as well in that case. So adding 1 means adding 4 total again, which of course is a lot of work.
However there is no bisexual options atm, they could have made Takemura and Stout bi if they wanted, but we have to see if they go down that route. Kerry is bisexual lore wise, I don't agree with that change to the original material but it was done to level the field, although I don't see many ladies upset over it so it is likely fine with the community, but I might be wrong. It is logical we could see bisex characters we can romance if they want to save on time and give everyone one more option.

To conclude, if we are to see new romances it is likely Takemura and Stout in my opinion. It still bares repeating that in the current state it would only disappoint you if they did add Takemura, you will end up depressed like many of us. They will likely first focus on expanding and making current romances more meaningful before adding new ones, if they don't, they would just be underlining the issues we listed across more than just the initial 4 options. It is vital for romances to get more time and depth and integration with other features for purpose of interaction and quality of the relationship before any new one is introduced. Otherwise they can throw away any innovation they were hoping for with this feature to begin with. Just to have insanely beautifully written characters to romance isn't enough to make a relationship meaningful.

@Trinixy in your original post you mentioned that it would be nice to find characters in different states when we visit them (sleeping, cooking), and I think it would be nice if these states were not random, but that it would be full day cycle. If the CDPR could not at the moment do this for the NPCs on the streets, then for such characters as Panam and Judy (and for others of course) they should add this system. The characters will feel even more alive. Because what we have now is just ridiculous - Judy is endlessly standing by the window, Panam is sitting in the truck, Kerry is on the couch, and so on

To be honest I kind if find romance subplots in games kind of cheesy and not really my sort of thing, personally I recon if you are going to allow the player to hook up with characters in a game then just make it cheap and plentiful, let us fuck everything then get crabs and spread those crabs on to everyone else.

Saints Row 4

@Trinixy in your original post you mentioned that it would be nice to find characters in different states when we visit them (sleeping, cooking), and I think it would be nice if these states were not random, but that it would be full day cycle. If the CDPR could not at the moment do this for the NPCs on the streets, then for such characters as Panam and Judy (and for others of course) they should add this system. The characters will feel even more alive. Because what we have now is just ridiculous - Judy is endlessly standing by the window, Panam is sitting in the truck, Kerry is on the couch, and so on
Yes, great idea, it would be even proffered to have it tied to a certain time of day, giving you a reason to visit during any hour and not just spam in and out to get a certain state. Other NPCs seem influenced only in their quantity as it regards to streets based on night or day.

But certainly for this set of characters I feel it would be really nice and doable. These details would allow the game to innovate in simple ways that don't necessarily take up too much development time and hopefully that is what they aim for if they wish the game to stand out in this aspect at least. Lets say its 4 states per character during the 24 hour cycle, dialogue choices and interactions based on each. Need to make more animations, record dialogue and it would already break the monotony of them just being a stationary NPC. I couldn't care less how some other NPCs spend their day but for these that we love and are invested, those have to be able to be elevated to bit more than just your casual scripted random.

Fingers crossed some of our ideas find CDPR somehow and they give them time to evaluate.

Yes, great idea, it would be even proffered to have it tied to a certain time of day, giving you a reason to visit during any hour and not just spam in and out to get a certain state. Other NPCs seem influenced only in their quantity as it regards to streets based on night or day.

But certainly for this set of characters I feel it would be really nice and doable. These details would allow the game to innovate in simple ways that don't necessarily take up too much development time and hopefully that is what they aim for if they wish the game to stand out in this aspect at least. Lets say its 4 states per character during the 24 hour cycle, dialogue choices and interactions based on each. Need to make more animations, record dialogue and it would already break the monotony of them just being a stationary NPC. I couldn't care less how some other NPCs spend their day but for these that we love and are invested, those have to be able to be elevated to bit more than just your casual scripted random.

Fingers crossed some of our ideas find CDPR somehow and they give them time to evaluate.
This is reminding me of RDR2 and interacting with people at camp. It felt natural, it was easy for the player to engage in and feel immersed, and sometimes it even lead to a quest or task.

I'm not saying CDPR should totally steal this system and implement it, but ... :ohstopit:

This is reminding me of RDR2 and interacting with people at camp. It felt natural, it was easy for the player to engage in and feel immersed, and sometimes it even lead to a quest or task.

I'm not saying CDPR should totally steal this system and implement it, but ... :ohstopit:
Yeah, they could have some activities, idk find Judy in her desk doing BD stuff, or see her sleeping, or not find her in her apt. But nope, she's glued next to her window forever. :rolleyes::giveup:

Yeah it could be an amazing way to improve the romances, im with you trinixy that i dont care what other npcs do, but our romances need more dev time and make them to look more alive!

I just imagine coming back to Judy´s appartment and see her cooking something and being able to help her, them you can dinner with her and so on, things like this really marks the difference with the feeling of the game!!
I really hope that CDPR take our ideas and make some of it real in the future, in my oppinion is one of the most important features that this game need!!

If you call the characters after a big story mission they will comment on it with you, it is a nice touch.

I disagree, you must be talking about DAO. Because Judy only comments 1 thing after a main mission, Panam says nothing about main missions that she has no part of.

The romance is below standards right now. Meaning other games have done it better.

Here is how to "fix it"

1. The ability for your romance to come on your missions with you like FO4, this is the quick fix because at least there is an illusion of a deeper relationship, and there wouldn't need to be cinematics to be added for this one. This would be the most minimalist fix.

2. A simple date situation, of going out to eat/drink. Or if anything coming to your apartment.

To bring this game romance to standard the fix would be.

3. Your romance comes with you on all the main missions, the earlier your romance the more missions etc. For example lets talk about that maelstrom chip mission (I know its early but for the sake of convo) You know when you and Jackie are held up by gunpoint, what if Panam was there too? what would she say, imagine the conversation?

4. More dialogue, if you do this romance with a lot of the game left to play, you are stuck with nothing else than 3 dialogue options. and if you lack all the things I pointed out, it leaves you kinda regretting your support of the game because thats below standards.

You want to be above average and set a new standard in gaming? Add all 4 points. Idk I'm married now, but I love romances in RPGs so I can go on forever.

CDPR's red engine just is not capable to do such a things, I'm afraid. It can't manage any complex AI procedures.

Btw, that is exactly how camp and home work in RDR2. I loved it. Playing as John Marston, you can come back home, and seeing your wife and son doing different things, talking to you and each other, a lot of different context dialogs are available for them, you can have a family dinner, kiss your wife when she's going to sleep, help your son cleaning the horses, do some home job, at evening sit with family in front of the fire and sing songs, and a lot of other things. When you get captured by police, your wife can go to police station to help you out and such. You receive letters from your ex gang members and you can discuss it with family. Family reacts on what you are doing, how do you look, you can argue with them or have a lovely chat, or get drunk and make your wife upset with that.
RDR2 is a true nexgen experience of life simulation. Too bad CDPR (and any other dev) still can't reach this level.

Yeah it could be an amazing way to improve the romances, im with you trinixy that i dont care what other npcs do, but our romances need more dev time and make them to look more alive!

I just imagine coming back to Judy´s appartment and see her cooking something and being able to help her, them you can dinner with her and so on, things like this really marks the difference with the feeling of the game!!
I really hope that CDPR take our ideas and make some of it real in the future, in my oppinion is one of the most important features that this game need!!
Yeah, when I first saw how NPC's in this game behave I was really disappointed, but I just started to ignore it, I have stopped paying attention to how lifeless they are and decided to treat them as background. And I got used to it. But much bigger disappointment was still waiting for me. I have completed the romance questline with Judy which was amazing and thought it would be cool idea to go to her place immediately. Since she gave me keys to her house I was sure I will have now lot of stuff with her to do. Bruh how wrong I was, when I saw the same three old dialogues I had with her before and completely nothing new I fucking died inside. My disappointment when I saw one liners zombie NPC's was nothing compared to that. I'm still pretty mad cuz of that, I really hope they will add way more content to Judy and other romance options soon. I didn't expect this game to lack such an essential stuff considering how crazy detailed The Witcher 3 was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom