Ruined the game

+
The game suffers from an identity crisis right now.

Factions no loger have identities of their own, rows no longer matter much what with all the agile units and weather is too easy to use. It looks like the game's less tactical than it used to be. Forethought is no longer required when placing units, selecting weather cards for your deck (since now any weather card spawns weather on any row, removing the need to decide which row you'd want to affect with your deck) or managing where you place your units since weather buffs them where ever they are. (Monsters)

Then you have monsters that are no longer weather imune, foglets get damaged in fog and ancient foglets get buffed even if they're not in the fog. And most importantly, weather no longer spawns on your side of the board.

It seems they went for a more streamlined gameplay so more people can get in it but I think it's doing a disservice to the game. It's simply all over the place now and lost some of its tactical approach.

Last edited:
It's true that many cards have changed. My favorite Scoia'tael deck is completely unplayable now. Skellige faction for my is too strange jet 'cause I do not have good cards for them . But overall game is lot better now. Previously, I have not played Monster, now I have a good monster cards and with 3 new Bitig Frosts have fantastic deck. The saying that Biting Frost is now useless is not accurate.
It seems to me that it is now much more balanced and can say that the devs did a great job.

Last edited:
Snake_Foxhounder;n8611490 said:
The game suffers from an identity crisis right now.

Factions no loger have identities of their own, rows no longer matter much what with all the agile units and weather is too easy to use. It looks like the game's less tactical than it used to be. Forethought is no longer required when placing units, selecting weather cards for your deck (since now any weather card spawns weather on any row, removing the need to decide which row you'd want to affect with your deck) or managing where you place your units since weather buffs them where ever they are. (Monsters)

Then you have monsters that are no longer weather imune, foglets get damaged in fog and ancient foglets get buffed even if they're not in the fog. And most importantly, weather no longer spawns on your side of the board.

It seems they went for a more streamlined gameplay so more people can get in it but I think it's doing a disservice to the game. It's simply all over the place now and lost some of its tactical approach.

my thoughts

For now most of the changes seem pretty reasonable to me. The faction abilities were definitely an issue before, so removing them appears like the smartest thing to do. And yeah, of course now faction cards are what defines a faction which is not a bad thing if done right.

Still, I agree that rows should matter a bit more and some units should definitely have weather immunity. Besides the concept of weather immunity seems a lot easier to understand for beginners. And of course I'm missing certain strategies to play this game (spy play for example seems a lot less fun), but I guess CDPR didn't have a good answer to nerf them in time, so for now it may be for the best. We'll see what happens when new cards are available.

Anyhow, for me it's a bit early to judge and I still miss a lot of cards (only have 230 or so), so we'll see where the meta goes...

There are some things I like and some things I don't like about the public beta version, but it's way too early to judge it.

I played a number of games yesterday and overall I'd say my experience is positive.

The positives include...

1. Northern Realm Changes
2. Extra Mulligan between rounds.
3. Weather changes.

The only comment I've seen which I'm agreeing with right now is it seems the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction related to being able to put cards on whatever row you want. It's too early to say for certain though. Could of been because of the deck I'm playing and those I was playing against.

I am likely biased right now as I have a very powerful deck thanks to some good luck so I'm running about a 2:1 W:L but I like the changes a lot. The mulligan at each round is just brilliant and has radically changed the game for the better. Furthermore a lot of deck archetypes are actually viable like Wild Hunt Eredin. As for the weather changes they seem much less all of nothing now which adds a dimension to the game that is quite useful. That said there are some crazy OP cards at the moment the new Ragh nar Roog for example, though that may only be my deck thats very susceptible too it.

For me, the game is dominated by NG. Which doesn't surprise me because they weren't nerfed and reworked like other factions.

KALOWG;n8615750 said:
I played a number of games yesterday and overall I'd say my experience is positive.

The positives include...

1. Northern Realm Changes
2. Extra Mulligan between rounds.
3. Weather changes.

The only comment I've seen which I'm agreeing with right now is it seems the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction related to being able to put cards on whatever row you want. It's too early to say for certain though. Could of been because of the deck I'm playing and those I was playing against.

How is Northern Realms better? Granted I haven't really been able to try all of the new catapult cards yet.

TH3WITCH3R;n8610920 said:
If you are not caring about anything then just chill & enjoy else quit.. simple as it is as cdpr also not cares about what you want, It's about over all game mechanism & balance. If you don't give a try then how you will learn?

Closed beta is also a new at start & If you find this totally new game then just forget about CB & play it as a new game... good luck

The game does not feel more balanced than before from what I have seen.

StrykerxS77x;n8617520 said:
The game does not feel more balanced than before from what I have seen.

That's why it's still in beta... CDPR took good move with all these new changes so hope to get final polished version very soon :)

Open beta started yesterday and most players don't have much cards (To example do I have some nice ideas for monster consume,but because I'm missing some key bronze cards, I can not test it). So it's way too early to talk about how balanced it is, although it wouldn't be surprising that it is not more balanced than before because they changed the game so drastically and it's still in beta. But it's ridiculous to say SK and NG are OP after ONE day, because they are the most played factions at the moment. This crying mentality in this forum makes me pretty sick. Wait how things will develope the next weeks and judge then.

Last edited:
Kingoko;n8609420 said:
Im a bit disapointed too, No idea why we tested cards and balance in closed beta when CDPR created completly new game.

Thats a fair point. They should have done all this changes on closed beta IMO... all the closed beta experience we had seems to have done in vain. I mean, we still in beta, but still, that reflects a certain lack of direction from the devs.

I stopped playing closed beta after a month or so. really didnt like the mechanics, it felt a bit simple and cluncky, really liking the game now. Every game is different and really makes you think. The animated cards are ridulously expensive thou..

Valvatti87;n8619580 said:
I stopped playing closed beta after a month or so. really didnt like the mechanics, it felt a bit simple and cluncky, really liking the game now. Every game is different and really makes you think. The animated cards are ridulously expensive thou..

Every game is different?

Well i guess i'm unlucky of facing 99,9% of nilfgaard and 0,1% of skelliege everyday than....

Right now not many managed to get to lev 10 (that's where the ladder starts). People still experiment. When most of the good players move to ladder climbing we'll see where it goes.

Overall i like the "New Gwent"

I just wish I've had more time..been busy af all week with work...and its not letting up until friday night

thank the maker I have a 3 day weekend to just become part of the recliner

Ya... the game is so radically different it is kind of insane. Though I do love how no matter how much changes people still use the shit out of those damn rot tossers...

Top Bottom