Savegame load performance? Typical vs. ideal times? System load?

+
Install the chipset drivers from here if you haven't already: https://support.amd.com/en-us/downlo...%2010%20-%2064 (Windows 10 only for Threadripper).

Then go to your Windows control panel power settings and make sure "Ryzen Balanced Power Plan" is selected (if you are still using Windows 7 try the High Performance power plan). Please report back as to whether this improves your load times. Ryzen (and Intel X99) don't work well with Microsoft's default balanced power plan.

By the way, try as I might I've been unable to fully resolve stuttering in this game on an Intel 5820K and GTX 1080 despite trying everything on the forum. There are a minority of systems on which the game refuses to work consistently well it seems.

Last edited:
ltron;n10687811 said:
Install the chipset drivers from here if you haven't already: https://support.amd.com/en-us/downlo... 10 - 64 (Windows 10 only for Threadripper).
Then go to your Windows control panel power settings and make sure "Ryzen Balanced Power Plan" is selected (if you are still using Windows 7 try the High Performance power plan). Please report back as to whether this improves your load times. Ryzen (and Intel X99) don't work well with Microsoft's default balanced power plan.

Thanks! That sounds like the angle we're looking for!

ltron;n10687811 said:
By the way, try as I might I've been unable to fully resolve stuttering in this game on an Intel 5820K and GTX 1080 despite trying everything on the forum. There are a minority of systems on which the game refuses to work consistently well it seems.

Had similar issues crop up again with v1.2X on my rig (i7-4790K and GTX 980 ti). What fixed it for me was manually setting the Frame Limit to 48 (ensuring Vsync is On through the game). Just edit user.settings and change FPSLimit=48. (Also try 52, 54, and 58. One of those normally smooths things out for me if I'm getting weird stutters or FPS dips.) On my end, I used to be able to run a pretty solid 50-60. With the 1.2X and onwards, it looks like they did something optimize the engine. Performance took a hit, and I started seeing weird FPS dips for no apparent reason, but the pop-in was gone. After setting the frame cap to 48, I get exactly the same performance everywhere. It's beautiful. It must be a frame-timing issue with something in the engine.

SigilFey;n10689441 said:
Thanks! That sounds like the angle we're looking for!

Had similar issues crop up again with v1.2X on my rig (i7-4790K and GTX 980 ti). What fixed it for me was manually setting the Frame Limit to 48 (ensuring Vsync is On through the game). Just edit user.settings and change FPSLimit=48. (Also try 52, 54, and 58. One of those normally smooths things out for me if I'm getting weird stutters or FPS dips.) On my end, I used to be able to run a pretty solid 50-60. With the 1.2X and onwards, it looks like they did something optimize the engine. Performance took a hit, and I started seeing weird FPS dips for no apparent reason, but the pop-in was gone. After setting the frame cap to 48, I get exactly the same performance everywhere. It's beautiful. It must be a frame-timing issue with something in the engine.

I don't want to hijack the thread and will be making a new thread if I still have problems after a clean install of Spring Creators Update in April. I completed the game and all DLC over a year ago so it's not that important, I just want to solve the mystery.

Here's some info if you have any more quick suggestions:
Thanks, but I've already tried your suggestion as well as disabled Gsync etc. My problem is that the stuttering randomly happens: very rarely I'll start up the game and it will be perfect with no stutter at all, other times when I start it up it will be stuttering like crazy and often it is somewhere in between these two extremes.

Closing the game and opening it again often helps, but not always. This leads to believe maybe it's something to with the game storing and accessing things from VRAM and/or RAM, but I'm not an expert. My save is in the middle of Beauclair although have tried older saves in cities/villages with same results (stuttering is much better although sometimes not gone completely in countryside).

I have three SSDs in my system: one is a Samsung SM961 512GB with 3000MB/s reads, the others are a Samsung 840 Pro 256GB and Crucial M4 256GB. I've tried installing the game to each of these drives and the OS is on the 961 although it has been on the 840 Pro before.

I started playing the game on a GTX 690 and I7 940 in 2015, then transferred the save to an I7 5820K and AMD R9 390X withe 16GB RAM, before upgrading to a Palit GTX 1080 Gamerock Premium, 32GB RAM and a GSync Dell S2716DG 144Hz 1440P monitor. Only the last configuration has had random amounts of the stutter, the other two have had repeatable stutter (although this was solved completely in the second config by changing shadows to medium, this does not work for the current config).

My friend plays on an I7 5820K, 16GB RAM, 34" Gsync Asus 95Hz 3440x1440 monitor and GTX 1080 with no stutter at all, his save is in a village in Skellige although he had a 2600K with a 980TI before and in Novigrad that didn't stutter either.

​​​​​

Last edited:
If there is any further issue with this, starting a new thread would be best.

ltron;n10691811 said:
I'm not an expert.

Neither am I. ;) Just figured stuff out the hard way as the decades passed.

Windows Creator's Update was initially very problematic. I would definitely stay current with it. That could be the cause.

Sound like it must be something running at the same time as the game. Various anti-virus programs are the most obvious, but things like overlays (Steam, Galaxy, etc.) have been known to introduce weird issues. Also, stuff like Geforce Experience or Razer Booster often do much more harm than good ( -- uninstalling these completely may help.)

The only other thing I can think of is checking the file system for errors. Maybe the motherboard is having trouble communicating between the three different drives. If that does nothing, manually disable Virtual Memory on all drives except the fastest one (which, ideally, should also contain the OS.)

But, yeah, new thread if this goes on. :)

Top Bottom