Scrapper perk dismantles expensive jewellery

+
the point is the everything is tag as junk, and that is the real issue. They can tag some items as Valuable so they dont get scrap

Well, the perk does tell you that it will dismantle all junk items. The item mentioned is labelled as junk. What they should add is a third option for junk items when going to pick them up when you have that perk. Dismantle. Code in a price threshold that at a certain value, a new Command Option appears and players could either choose to take or dismantle.

dont worry guys im sure the game will be fun when they fix all of the bugs and this glaringly obvious poor design and gameplay choice is just an isolated incident and the game really is just a diamond in the rough with engaging revolutionary gameplay and mechanics
Post automatically merged:

Well, the perk does tell you that it will dismantle all junk items. The item mentioned is labelled as junk. What they should add is a third option for junk items when going to pick them up when you have that perk. Dismantle. Code in a price threshold that at a certain value, a new Command Option appears and players could either choose to take or dismantle.
i think the better option would be to have 2 factor authentication as a level 2 version of the perk with your mobile device so everytime you pick up an item you can get a text message and you reply YES or NO or STOP to to automatically dismantle the object or not for the respective choices. could also use email but for pc user you would have to alt tab so using your phone would be easier and the better design choice

As the OP mentioned the best option would be not to have valueable items marked as junk. If not then the perk should only auto-dismantle items below a certain E$ threshold. Perhaps anything below E$50 etc.

What does it matter? Money practically grows on trees (and is next to pointless to begin with) and you can’t wear any trinkets.

I read the perk description and purposely chose to not take it, for that simple reason. Also, the junk items have no weight, so they don't impact my carrying capacity. I just sell all my junk at drop boxes when I turn in quest items.

I have restarted this game several times now. Taking the 'convert all junk' perk was one of the reasons. Everything is so expensive in this game (mods, cars, and weapons). I need every little bit I can scrounge up.

View attachment 11077655

That was dismantled.

Either this has to change or add a warning in the perk.
They should make it obvious 100%, but I personally double checked the jewelry category before getting the perk, saw it is labeled junk and decided it would be best to not get that perk. They should move expensive junk over to a valuables category would be best

I'm 18 tech but never picked that perk and regret it. Like you guys I didn't want to lose a lot of money with the game auto-salavaging expensive junk. However: I only got like 5-6 of these and my character lvl is 12. So TBH. They drop so rarely that you don't lose a lot of eddies. Not having to ever care about the junk tab is a luxury well worth sub-10k lost IMO.

I picked that perk pretty early not realizing how much eddies i wasted. once i noticed it it was too late. man i burnt quite a lot.
Now i skipped on the perk and i barely find any valuables. Just wait 'til i pick auto-salvage and the gems come flying at me

Considering how much time one might spend in the inventory section of this game one starts to look for features that one would expect in a rl ui. I'd like to beable to star weapons that I'm not currently armed with but never want to throwaway or break into components. Sure I could put it in my stash where there's no categories at all!

Anyway once you're out of watson and if you choose to use the $4k painting to get all the free money then selling junk becomes meaningless. Then you can complain about how tedious it is to go to all the ripperdocs and dropboxes stealing all their money.

Last edited:
Either/or,
1. Valuable category for valuable "junk" items so as not to be affected by scrapper.
2. Make valuable "junk" break down into epic+legendary components.

I would like to see the perk be expanded to affect hydration+nourishment too. Either disassembling both or turning them into more base element like water and cat food.

Seriously, did this game have any QA testing?

If the function/perk is to dismantle all Junk, and it does just that, then what do you expect the QA tester to do? This Perk is a design choice and a player choice (you are not forced to have this perk), since some Junk is valuable I didn't get the perk.

It's also unclear why some objects have a value of 750 eddies (like dog tags or the ribbon) and other 3 eddies (gold chain).

Maybe the value of 'junk' should be proportional to the amount of rare/uncommon/epic components that can be harvested.

This can help a little bit:

This kind of thing happen in Fallout4 as well with scrapping old world dollar bills. Mods fixed it. This game really needs good modding tools.

Yeah modding isn't the answer. This is a design flaw and needs to be corrected in the code. Modding tools are great and I have modded the crap out of some games but the Devs have some responsibilities that should not be pushed off to modders. Not everyone is willing or capable of using mods.

If the function/perk is to dismantle all Junk, and it does just that, then what do you expect the QA tester to do? This Perk is a design choice and a player choice (you are not forced to have this perk), since some Junk is valuable I didn't get the perk.

You missed the point. It appears that everyone commenting knows what the perk currently does. The argument is that not all items collected that are considered junk in the code are junk by common definition. Common sense tells you that an item worth 750 euros is not junk by any standard and should not be automatically disassembled.

Last edited:
The perk is meant as a quality of life option to save time and effort on the component/money grind. However, as currently implemented, it works against its own express purpose by making you *lose* money (requiring more looting to make up for it) by disassembling valuables that are categorized as junk when its clearly not in any meaningful sense.

An easy fix benefitting all regardless of taking the SCRAPPER perk, would be to make these valuables break down into epic/legendary instead of nearly worthless common/uncommon components.

Yeah modding isn't the answer. This is a design flaw and needs to be corrected in the code. Modding tools are great and I have modded the crap out of some games but the Devs have some responsibilities that should not be pushed off to modders. Not everyone is willing or capable of using mods.

You missed the point. It appears that everyone commenting knows what the perk currently does. The argument is that not all items collected that are considered junk in the code are junk by common definition. Common sense tells you that an item worth 750 euros is not junk by any standard and should not be automatically disassembled.

I get that, I just don't see why it is QA issue. As I understand it, everything, irrespective of monetary value, which you can't consume, shoot, or wear is junk, I may not agree with that but that was a dev classification decision.

For me, I would prefer to just have a manual function which allows me to break down all junk present, that way I can sell the 'good' stuff and dismantle the cheap stuff.

About making a "valuable" category, while it wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea, I think it would be better to straight up redesign Scrapper.

I mean, even if the ability doesn't automatically dismantle valuable junks (which kinda sound weird, said like that but whatever), it's still detrimental to the player. It still forces you to do something with no additional benefit and remove the option to sell your junk for money, should you need it. It's still a step back from the position you're in before picking this Perk up.

If they really want to keep it that way, they have to imagine some sort of additional value for Scrapper to provide, like every junk dismanteld give you a small amount of extra ressources or even a very small amount of eddies (so, you kinda get a mix of both advantages).

As it is though, there's way more valuable Perk to spend our points on...Perks that actually do something for you.

Meh, small price to pay to not have to manually recycle the junk.
I guess but honestly, junks are better sold, all they give you are uncommon crafting materials that you're likely to be overloaded of very quickly.

Money is never a pass, if you have all the best implants for your build, you can buy weapons/outfits, if you don't need them, you can buy vehicles...There's always something to do with it.

Selling your junk can be done by litteraly pressing one button when you're selling the weapons and other stuffs that you're gonna have to get rid of at some point anyway.

I'm not saying it doesn't save you some time here and there but it really doesn't justify a Perk point, at least to me (all this is my opinion of course).

I guess but honestly, junks are better sold, all they give you are uncommon crafting materials that you're likely to be overloaded of very quickly.

Money is never a pass, if you have all the best implants for your build, you can buy weapons/outfits, if you don't need them, you can buy vehicles...There's always something to do with it.

Selling your junk can be done by litteraly pressing one button when you're selling the weapons and other stuffs that you're gonna have to get rid of at some point anyway.

I'm not saying it doesn't save you some time here and there but it really doesn't justify a Perk point, at least to me (all this is my opinion of course).

I like the perk because it levels Crafting slowly but automatically. Would miss it.

Regards

Top Bottom