Since the game is in "development" now, it's right time to ask the question about mods

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Suhiira;n9110750 said:
Saints Row just a bit more so

By intent too.

Anyways, what I trying to say is that I'm not really sure if a pitchshifter like that would be the best solution.

But then again... if the character is absolutely going to be voiced and there's nothing in the world that could prevent that, I don't think I really care what voice it is. Good or bad it's still a predefined character limited in tone and delivery by its voiceactor/-actress I'll have to play.

wr3zzz;n9057920 said:
~80% of Skyrim sales was to consoles so many people interpret that as mods weren't important to the game's success. That would be too simplistic. Today's AAA console games are like Hollywood tent pole movies needing peer effect to drive launch window sales. There is reason that Hollywood franchises go out of their ways to pander fanboys/fangirls because they are needed to sustain interest, build momentum and drive turnouts. Without the long tail modding of Oblivion, and to less extent FO3/NV, Skyrim would never be the monster hit it is. Without the lively Skyrim PC community still playing mods FO4 would not be able to deliver that launch window monster sales.

Great games don't need mods but great mod supports do build equity that pays dividend down the road.

80% of Skyrims sales being on console is bs. The game on PC has sold over 11 million units on steam alone not including physical and Bethesda.net client sales. Games typically sell better on console in the short term but better in the long term on PC.

At the least if they would just give a pdb file for the game we could create our own tools. Since the biggest problem with witcher 3 is that you need to be really talented in reverse engineering to figure out a file format.

I don't know what is the niche to always have a game and be dependent of this. I don't see real use as to just making the game, what?

More beautiful than before? And or add features that should be added by default? In this industry, it is so weird that modding is becoming more powerful and important rather than the visions on the developers own. There are games that are reference enough of how bad sometimes the developers might end up depending way too much on modding capabilities and what they offer to the community. to add features, and more important unnecessary/irrelevant ones. I don't want by any means this game to become one of those who have been a joke.

DarthRaver8686;n9051420 said:
When cdpr said that cyberpunk would be a big part of their company for years to come, i almost feel like maybe they want to include mods to help that cause.

^ (with all due respect)

And this is what I am referring to. This type of mentality that runs in most of the general community and or everybody for that matters. I don't like to depend fully on mods. Or at all. Nobody knows how "perfect" this game will be for mods or not, since we do not know basics and or what it will and look. Heck, if this mentality is a norm all games should be "perfect".

For this game to be perfect, will be, by not be dependent of modding to and for everything to be: Successful and Durable, for years to come. The perfection to this game will come from the developers themselves. How amount of in depth dlcs will come after and for the futures of it. With in depth proper cohesive complex stories and what CDPR knows best how to do and are known for.

For me will be, "no thanks". I am worry about this to be honest with you all. I just do not, do not want this game in particular to be dependent fully on mods. Because we already got games that rely too much on this kind of features that becomes cancer that makes developers become lazy and yet again, rely on it too much on mods that when it comes down to, most mods are just trash.

P.s. So Long.

Donum-Dei having modding != depending on modding
modding isn't about doing what the devs forgot to do, it's about playing the way you prefer. just because a company allows modding doesn't mean they will suddenly stop caring. there is always room for it, no matter how good the game is. I for example would be really annoyed if I had to play witcher 3 without my mods.

Depends who you're talking about.

Bathesda, who doesn't bother fixing some known bugs in Skyrim before selling a remastered version? Or CDPR who does their damnedest not to have bugs in the first place then fixes discovered ones as quickly as possible?

Now if you're talking cosmetic (most UI and graphic) or convenience (bigger inventory) mods that is, and always will be, a matter of taste and no game will ever meet everyone's taste standards.

LegateLaniusThe2nd;n9111570 said:
80% of Skyrims sales being on console is bs. The game on PC has sold over 11 million units on steam alone not including physical and Bethesda.net client sales. Games typically sell better on console in the short term but better in the long term on PC.

That ~80% sales figure came from Bethesda a few years ago and I am sure it is more relevant than Steam nominal statistics. Also that 11 mln Steam number includes Skyrim SE, which was automatically given for free to those already own Skyrim LE so a LOT of double counting here. This makes sense as to why Valve would not stand behind those Steam numbers. Skryim SE generated zero PC revenue but console versions are not free. Pretty obvious where the installed base and money is to Bethesda. Lastly, PC may have longer legs but that longer leg has very low unit sales price. Full retail $59.99 copy in 2011 counts 10x than the $5.99 copy Steam sold in 2016 in sales. It is true that PC players are not as impulsive in our purchases but it also diminishes PC's importance to a game's financial success.

It's not just Skyrim. CDPR also was quoted that without console sales the company might not have the kind of financial resources to attempt something as ambitious as CP2077.

Just because you can attach a number to an argument does not make it true. The source and method of how the number came about matter.

While it might, or might not, be true that multi-platform games sell more on consoles then PC's... and where it might, or might not, be true that console exclusive games sell more then PC exclusive games do ... the entire console markets revenue is MASSIVLY outshadowed by both the PC, and Mobile, markets revenue.

In 2016 the collective revenue of the console market was 6.6 billion dollars. Where as the collective revenue for the PC market was 35.8 billion dollars. The Mobile market however is still currently the juggernaught, at a collective revenue of 40.6 billion dollars. A lot of this does come down to that certain games are just more prone to earn a lot of money, and most of those games are just not available to console gamers.

It is mostly games of the nature of Clash Royal, Pokemon Go, League of Legends, and Overwatch, that drives a large portion of that... so might not be as importent to the question about "which platform sells more for multi-platform games", and does not really change something like that the reason for CDPR being able to make CP2077 might be thanks to the console market for Witcher... but while it might be true that consoles might sell more of each game then PC's do... it's still a huge underdog in general when it comes to total revenue.

Source of the numbers (click the left most image for where I got the info).

Last edited:
Consoles are a great platform for action (side scrollers,platformers, timed reaction (i.e. twitch), and many FPS) games. While PC can certainly run them they're really built with the highly reactive console controller vice mouse & keyboard in mind. For those that think such arcade game reactivity is vital to a game I certainly understand their preference for the platform that best accommodates that style of game. What I don't understand is those that (often loudly) proclaim every game must be made in that style.

The "Street Fighter" games are HUGELY popular, I've played around with a couple but have no real interest in them. I've also putzed with some of the "Tomb Raider" games, same result. There a lot of people that feel the same, and we want, and will pay for, games to. My point is, there is no "best" style of game, there are only personal preferences; and just because X style of game sells well doesn't mean all games should be made in X style.

wr3zzz;n9145860 said:
That ~80% sales figure came from Bethesda a few years ago and I am sure it is more relevant than Steam nominal statistics. Also that 11 mln Steam number includes Skyrim SE, which was automatically given for free to those already own Skyrim LE so a LOT of double counting here. This makes sense as to why Valve would not stand behind those Steam numbers. Skryim SE generated zero PC revenue but console versions are not free. Pretty obvious where the installed base and money is to Bethesda. Lastly, PC may have longer legs but that longer leg has very low unit sales price. Full retail $59.99 copy in 2011 counts 10x than the $5.99 copy Steam sold in 2016 in sales. It is true that PC players are not as impulsive in our purchases but it also diminishes PC's importance to a game's financial success.

It's not just Skyrim. CDPR also was quoted that without console sales the company might not have the kind of financial resources to attempt something as ambitious as CP2077.

Just because you can attach a number to an argument does not make it true. The source and method of how the number came about matter.

False the 11 million is purely from the regular Skyrim version(I saw the it reach the 11 million mark before SE was even announced). The SE version of Skyrim is separate from the regular Skyrim on steam. Meaning Steam treats both like completely different games.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/48...ecial_Edition/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/72...olls_V_Skyrim/

Last edited:
Availability of Mod Tools doesn't mean there will be mods for a game. You need to get the modding community on board and that depends on much more than tools. Think of a fixed main protagonist. How much of Skyrim mods are about customizing your main protagonist, 50%?. I just try to imagine Geralt using some of my beloved Skyrim Bikini Armours and it just feels wrong :). Or thinking of Fallout, there are quite some clothing mods and about 90% look ridiculous in game with colours simply not fitting the world. Or do i need additional quests for the Witcher? Some goods ones, why not, but there are already a lot of them and think it would be quite some work for a modder to create something of a similar quality. I use mods a lot and skyrim is getting old without any replacement in sight. Would be great if Cyberpunk2077 fills this role, setting would allow a lot of possibilities i think, but i'll be happy enough to get a great game without any modding.

Guest 2364765

Sardukhar;n9265931 said:
Interesting related note, pro-modding:

skacikpl has an area-expansion and OTHER STUFF mod released for Witcher 3. http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2562/?

Worth checking out, if you're interested in what modders can add to CDPR games in terms of play content. Let us know what you think about it, if you do.

I'll check it out myself in a bit.

Speaking about this, it managed to sparkle few discussions online - i recommend reading one of them to see how target audience perceives modding:
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/c..._3_devils_pit_mod_introduces_a_brand/dl7crnd/

Some people are only happy when they can find, or invent, something to complain about.

Sardukhar just please dont think he did it with the official tools, because it might look bad for CP modding
It uses DLC method, which was not intended by CDPR, perhaps it wasnt in their vision

sv3672;n10965488 said:
The majority of copies of Skyrim was sold on platforms (PS3 and especially X360) where modding is not supported at all. Actually, I recall Todd Howard saying only about 7% of all Skyrim players uses mods. The game also has the highest Metacritic review score on the X360, 96%, again this is a platform without mods, so that has to be the vanilla game. Therefore, I am not convinced it is fair to attribute its success to the modding community. If anything, my personal opinion is that from the developers' point of view, mods could overall do more harm than good, for multiple reasons. Which is why I think it was in the end the smart decision by CDPR not to release the REDkit for The Witcher 3.

In what way can mods do more harm than good, and why is it a smart decision not to release a REDkit for the Witcher 3?

Snowflakez;n10965581 said:
In what way can mods do more harm than good, and why is it a smart decision not to release a REDkit for the Witcher 3?

I do not see it proven that mods significantly improve the sales of a game, yet they can be a source of bad PR in a number of ways (what I quoted above is an example of that, I doubt CDPR would want to be seen as lazy developers who outsource work to the modding community, or that their games exist solely for the purpose of being used as modding platforms), increased tech support costs, and making it a priority to support them can take away resources from the development of more important things. And the licensing of some middleware may not permit the release of free tools to the public, of course there is the choice of using different middleware or implementing the same functionality in-house, but if the alternative is technically inferior or requires more resources then that is again a compromise made for the sake of mod support. I could go into more details, but it is off-topic, I only wanted to point it out that it is a decision that seems to have made sense for CDPR. They are not actively hostile to modding (like for example GTA V's publisher taking down the community made tools), but do not make compromises for it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom