Sitting down with your character ingame and watch actual movies like: Akira, Ghost in the shell, Blade Runner etc.

+
Something I thought to myself would be a friggin beyond awesome idea would be if you could watch ACTUAL real movies like these ingame. Like at your apartment or at a bar or such. It would be some next-level stuff if you go to a store to buy weapons and you end up being distracted by sitting down there to watch Blade Runner, not as a few minutes loop thing but the real deal.

The questions I have is:

1) Would it be too expensive for CDPR to actually buy the rights to show these movies in the game? Is watching actual full movies inside of a game something that is simply financially impossible even if it would be cool as hell?
2) Timeline and immersion. Is the CP universe diverged from our own timeline too early for it to make sense in that it would break immersion?
3) Are there other problems I'm not seeing here with implementing such?

I just think this is an idea that would be really fucking great. But maybe I'm missing some big issues with it.

It would be cool to sit down and watch television in game like in GTA or heavy rain. Though I doubt if we could, there would be copy written material you'd be able to watch. Why would they buy the rights to a property just to incorporate it in a small portion of their game? That just seems crazy. Though I would like immersion activities like watching TV, going to clubs with a date, or just sitting and eating at a diner.

The easiest way to do it would be to encode a media player into the game and let you play content you already own, but even that seems like a lot of work and money for too little a pay off.

This game has this thing called "Braindance", you can be for example one of the celebs if you want, can you replay take game with Keanu etc.

This sounds like a "mod" that could be implemented, but seems like a waste of time on the devs part.

Gotta say it would be very cool. I'm just hoping that braindance is more popular. I can imagine that "the movie-going experience" has been very very replaced by everything from drugs, braindance, android strippers, or even just staring out the window at the city.

Unlikely to be covered on the dev-side and could raise potential copyright and law issues depending on how it's done. Alternatively might also need an internet connection (most might not mind, but some do), thus have to be optional of sorts.

Frankly I rather see this is as a thing of certain (modded) online communities that have the proper tech enabled (like in G-Mod where you can stream radio - sound files - or videos - from YT - in-game) or you'd need good modding support to realize it here.

I vote no not because I wouldn't like it (I do), but because I think it would be unlikely a lot. Almost impossible. I mean it would be hella cool to sit in your appartment or whereever and look at things as in-game time passes. But just not likely to expect intertwined content from your harddrive or our reality through YT or whatever.

Sild

Ex-moderator
Eh.. 'whole' movies might be a bit too much. Something short and sweet? Sure.

Eh.. 'whole' movies might be a bit too much. Something short and sweet? Sure.

like the TV shows of Grand theft auto 5? (Although less parody, even though Robocop did parody too)

Over all its more likely that if such shows would exist, they would be purposefully scratch-built for CP2077.

Sild

Ex-moderator
like the TV shows of Grand theft auto 5? (Although less parody, even though Robocop did parody too)

Over all its more likely that if such shows would exist, they would be purposefully scratch-built for CP2077.

Something along those lines, yea.

Purposely build would make the most sense (and be more interesting to me).

The issue I see with making it specifically for this is: it's immersive and fitting, but limited. GTA did it but eventually you just know it all.

If you had an "interface" to our internet, YT, etc. then it would be limited too in the technical sense, but due to the mass of content already there and coming, basically "infinite" for you to go through in a lifetime.

The issue I see with making it specifically for this is: it's immersive and fitting, but limited. GTA did it but eventually you just know it all.

If you had an "interface" to our internet, YT, etc. then it would be limited too in the technical sense, but due to the mass of content already there and coming, basically "infinite" for you to go through in a lifetime.

Why would you be watching 50 year old shows in 2077? I find this immersionbreaking. Not to mention the world is still its own unique world, not an extension of ours.

I find this immersionbreaking.

You would, but others would likely enjoy the idea of being able to sit in your in-game appartment in front of a screen and watch videos from YT, whatever kind of video it might be. Could just be a music video so you use it as "radio", or it could be a sci-fi movie, thus appear more fitting, or you know, anything that would technically be "immersion breaking" or not if you assume it's 'old stuff'.

Frankly if the ability existed I'd use it. Not sure in what capacity or range, but I might. Even though I am an advocate of immersion myself, most of the time.

Top Bottom