So is matchmaking still screwed or have that many people quit already?

+
So is matchmaking still screwed or have that many people quit already?

I haven't played in several weeks as the lack variety in opponents was getting really stale. Constant Nilf decks. Apparently that's changed, all the lemmings are running SK now, and that's fine. If you can't win on your own, copy the winners. I had read in one of the patch notes that matchmaking for the higher tiers had been tweaked. I figured with all the changes I'd try a match or 2 in casual to see if things were playable again. The matchmaking seems worse than ever. Am I just having a string of bad luck or are things actually no better than when OB first released?

Not sure what you are talking about. If you are referring to you being matched against much more experienced players then the problem is that you are in casual. Casual will match you all over the place. Sometimes with newbies and sometimes with the top echelon. If you play ranked then you will be more appropriately matched.

Well since I haven't played in a while I figured I'd go casual to see how things were different. Closest match so far, 11 lvls and 5 ranks above me. Sadly, I think the game is less playable than ever.

That's one reason rank and level should not be displayed in casual matches in my opinion. It's irrelevant. Ranked and Casual run on a different MMR.

I have only played Hearthstone (a looooooong time ago) but felt like I came up against the same decks more frequently than Gwent has ever been for me. I also come from playing MOBAs and even with their massive character pool, teams will still be fairly the same... It's just the 'meta' in games nowadays, ESPECIALLY when people copy and paste from build sites and YouTube. Most fun thing to do is to read and watch the popular decks, then build counters!!! So many forfeits and sweet sweet delicious tears!
But so far my experience with Gwent has been a lot of fun. I'm really enjoying the latest patch and just plain building really weird decks for fun!

Well, I got into the game again and I remembered why I don't play software based card games like this.

Poor matchmaking that matches you with pretty much everyone, money being law (unless you invest a good chunk of money you will have a shit deck and almost always lose), if you invest in a lot of cards they can be "balanced" so they're shit (unlike physical card games) and you either have to buy even more new cards (or rather, RNG packs so you don't even have control over anything you get) or you mill your cards for a pathetic return.
So if you play casually you just lose and if you take it more seriously and invest you get screwed.

No thanks, I'll stick to physical card games like MtG.

Nothing you said is true, but whatever, seems like you are the one who knows better than everyone else.
BTW, MtG sucks.

nivellen75;n9095300 said:
Nothing you said is true, but whatever, seems like you are the one who knows better than everyone else.
BTW, MtG sucks.

You don't sound close-minded or biased at all, nope.

First you claim nothing of what I said is true without providing any counter arguments. Then you make the statement that what this ellusive "everyone" says is true over what the individual thinks while then ending your post by saying that MtG, possibly the biggest and longest running CCG that many other CCG were inspirired by "sucks", yet again without giving any reasons as to why.

I hope you understand that comments like mine are more helpful for the developers than comments like yours. Blind support/fanboyism is terrible for a games growth.

zheprime;n9094180 said:
Well, I got into the game again and I remembered why I don't play software based card games like this.

Poor matchmaking that matches you with pretty much everyone, money being law (unless you invest a good chunk of money you will have a shit deck and almost always lose), if you invest in a lot of cards they can be "balanced" so they're shit (unlike physical card games) and you either have to buy even more new cards (or rather, RNG packs so you don't even have control over anything you get) or you mill your cards for a pathetic return.
So if you play casually you just lose and if you take it more seriously and invest you get screwed.

Ummm...MtG is the definition of "money being law". The only benefit is that later you can sell your cards back. But let's not pretend like the guy with the fattest wallet doesn't win MtG all the time.

... this thread is not about magic the gathering. Also the topic is not the quality of other users posts. Get back on topic.

Rawls;n9096000 said:
... this thread is not about magic the gathering. Also the topic is not the quality of other users posts. Get back on topic.

Isn't it? You could edit the title and make it so. You have the power!

On Topic - In closed beta (and I assume, the same for open beta) Casual Play had its own MMR. So, if I have a complete set of cards, and bought them all, it wouldn't matter if I was playing casual with casual decks and had a terrible win/loss record, but was playing with heavy meta decks in Ranked Play, then sure, I could be Rank 15 and level 40, but still have a terrible MMR in Casual Play.

In order for you to really have a problem, some guy like me would have to be tanking in Casual Play, and just coincidentally played my top tier deck in the one Casual meeting I had with you.

Casual play will never be balanced, i already had a discussion on another thread with the OP about this very same issue and i explained to him why he will never face same skill level opponents on casual no matter what cdpr does to it. But the guy doesnt want to accept the fact, so yeah, what can you do? Complain on the forums i guess....

frbfree;n9095920 said:
Ummm...MtG is the definition of "money being law". The only benefit is that later you can sell your cards back. But let's not pretend like the guy with the fattest wallet doesn't win MtG all the time.
Unlike in say Gwent there are many formats. Also unlike in say Gwent there is trading and selling of cards, while in Gwent there is only milling which gives you horrid returns. Not only that in MtG cards don't change and can become useless or unviable.

frbfree;n9095920 said:
In order for you to really have a problem, some guy like me would have to be tanking in Casual Play, and just coincidentally played my top tier deck in the one Casual meeting I had with you.
So are you calling me a liar or delusional? Since apparantely my experiences never happened.

You also seemed to have completely missed the points I made and simply focused on trying to prove me wrong. This isn't you trying to work towards a compromise or a solution, but to ignore it. How is this helping the game? Do you think I want the game to be bad?
I saw problems in the design of the game (and other online card games) and decided to share it. Not because I want to hate on the game or something, but because being vocal about issues is important for the development of the game. Blind praise or denial never ever helps the developers.

Laveley;n9097240 said:
Casual play will never be balanced, i already had a discussion on another thread with the OP about this very same issue and i explained to him why he will never face same skill level opponents on casual no matter what cdpr does to it. But the guy doesnt want to accept the fact, so yeah, what can you do? Complain on the forums i guess....

It could be balanced just like any other aspect of pretty much any other game. Just because you think something is a fact, doesn't actually make it one.

zheprime;n9094180 said:

Your issues seem to be with the overall design of online CG's, and not Gwent specifically. Gwent does require either a decent time investment or some cash to develop competitive decks, but I think the game is reasonably balanced in that regard. Do you have actual suggestions on how card acquisition and/or the monetization model should be changed in Gwent?

zaosha;n9098720 said:
Your issues seem to be with the overall design of online CG's, and not Gwent specifically. Gwent does require either a decent time investment or some cash to develop competitive decks, but I think the game is reasonably balanced in that regard. Do you have actual suggestions on how card acquisition and/or the monetization model should be changed in Gwent?

Yes well I pretty much said that I find several of the issues I mentioned to be present in software based CCG.

Matchmaking is tricky to fix, I know, since you're also reliant on the pool of players currently on. Then you also have to decide if you want to create a matchmaking system that focuses on speed or accuracy, personally I prefer accuracy since it results in better quality matches (but in many games devs focus on speed, even in bigger games like say Dota 2). But if a game has bad matchmaking it needs to be fixed in the areas it is lacking.

I also know that devs/publishers wants to make money, so they can't make it too viable to not pay and still have fun if the game is free to play. That said you shouldn't feel that the one with the biggest money investment is heavily favored no matter what in any mode you play. That creates a kind of all or nothing mentality (you either invest nothing to try and play it casually or you have to invest a lot to have a decent chance at winning consistently).
To work around this you could create seperate modes where you put restrictions on either the players or the decks. For example a "bronze card only" mode (but possibly still allowing leaders) could be an alternative. You wouldn't really move up in rank by playing it but you could play it more casually and on a more affordable level.
To use MtG as an example again they not only have blocks containing only a select number of cards but also different ways to play that are more affordable than the super competitive constructed ones like limited and commander.
But the potential big money investment problem also ties into another problem...

Rebalancing of cards. This is good for less experienced card designers that also don't have a lot of resources for playtesting cards since they can rebalance things that are too out of wack... however it means that you can shaft players with existing cards and decks (in terms of viability and how they play). In many software based CCG this is a problem because you can't sell or trade your cards to other players, which means you have to mill them for borderline pathetic returns. This makes investing money in packs feel like a waste or potentially an even bigger investment.

I mean I could go on and on about these and other problems, but it's up to the devs to fix this. I'm not dedicated enough to Gwent to spend a lot of time and effort trying to figure out potential solutions to all of their problems which might only maybe be read by the devs. So this is most likely my final post unless I decide to check in with Gwent again maybe 1 year from now. Because as it stands it's not a game I want to invest either more time or money into.

zheprime;n9098180 said:
while in Gwent there is only milling which gives you horrid returns.

Man i have spent 40$ on gwent and i have all Monster, all Skellige, all NG cards and every playable card from NR and ST. I dont have few playable nautral cards like Drought, RNR, Vilen, Ciri Dash but i have 5k dust left. I dont think its possible in any other game.

PS I play only to 2nd tier reward and got 34 kegs from closed beta.

I play the game from merely 4 days so I'm not that knowledgable but casual play is not balanced at all from what I've seen. On ranked until I got to around 2300 rating 80% of the time I got matched against people using Monsters deck with Unseen Elder leader, using the exact same strategy every time, same cards. But after I climbed up now I see way more variety. So I guess on lower ranks almost everyone is using Nilf decks or Monster decks and that is why its repetitive.

Top Bottom