Sorry Witcher, I'm going with Hellgate London =\

+
Yea, I've got to agree with some of the people here, Hellgate London is the worst game I’ve recently bought. I didn’t even make it through the tutorial and within 2 minutes of loading the game I thought what a load of Bull Shit. I can’t believe there was so much hype around this and it took them so long to develop this crap. God I wish I could return it ! My biggest mistake was not trying out the Demo – had I, I’m sure I would have saved myself some money and frustration.As far as the Witcher goes I think it’s an excellent ground breaking game, The developers were bold enough to try something new in terms of how you can play a RPG game and I really enjoy it. It is refreshing. The story is captivating and most of all it’s Fun. Well done CDPROJEKT RED. And another thing just to add to the quality of the game and developers, I had a little hiccup where the NPC were disappearing – contacted the dev’s they looked into it their replies were prompt and advised me what to do to resolve the problem. Excellent customer care! Am I glad I got the collectors edition all the extra stuff is really worth while. This is by far one of the best games I’ve played so far. As far as CDPROJEKT RED goes I will diffidently keep then on my radar as I’m sure what ever they develop next will be just as good if not better.

Hellgate London is nothing more than a corporate project meant to leach off money from the fame of Diablo. Its a simple, unimaginative, generic Action "RPG" not worth the blank disc its written on. Their "premium" content for extra money is simply a greedy attempt that will eventually backfire.The Witcher is done not by a bunch of marketing suits, but people who love games. It has setting, story, lore, characters and much more.Comparing TW to HL is like comparing a piece of crap with jewelry.

Toke said:
If CDP were to release a demo of the Witcher they could just use the prologue (or Tutorial) chapter - it would be damn near perfect.
Nah, the entirety of Act 1 would be better for a demo. The beginning is almost episodic and the events leading up to the conclusion of the act would be a great cliffhanger for the demo and a good representation of the kind decision making you will have to do. And it cant hurt to pull a Diablo 2 by having a whole act for a demo.

Agreed on an act 1 demo. It covers all the bases of the game. It gets the story rolling, it has contracts, trophies, a quest that uses day/night cycle. gambling, use of alchemy, fist fighting, sex, a prize for out drinking somebody, you can forge a sword. They just need to tone down the beast so they don't turn people off.As for Hellgate, I received about 5 beta invites. I stayed in for 3 client releases. The first was so buggy it should have been called alpha. The second was totally borked and didn't work for anyone. I suspect the third was a re-release of the first. After the third they said they were going to stop beta updates to focus on custom content. I think the first "beta" client I downloaded was the retail version they released. Everything people are complaining about now is the same stuff we complained about and we were told by the alpha testers that they had been complaining about it for months.It became painfully obvious to me that all the talent and brains behind Diablo and Battlenet picked Arenanet for their new company name, not Flagship.If you want to buy and play Hellgate, knock yourself out. I honestly feel sorry for anyone that can only afford one game and gets duped into buy Hellgate over the Witcher because every reviewer has to mention D2 when talking about Hellgate.

wait hes picking hellgate creditcard over the witcher hmmm either he has no idea which are good games, or hes drunk im going with the drunk one :eek:

Common07 said:
Agreed on an act 1 demo. It covers all the bases of the game. It gets the story rolling, it has contracts, trophies, a quest that uses day/night cycle. gambling, use of alchemy, fist fighting, sex, a prize for out drinking somebody, you can forge a sword. They just need to tone down the beast so they don't turn people off.As for Hellgate, I received about 5 beta invites. I stayed in for 3 client releases. The first was so buggy it should have been called alpha. The second was totally borked and didn't work for anyone. I suspect the third was a re-release of the first. After the third they said they were going to stop beta updates to focus on custom content. I think the first "beta" client I downloaded was the retail version they released. Everything people are complaining about now is the same stuff we complained about and we were told by the alpha testers that they had been complaining about it for months.It became painfully obvious to me that all the talent and brains behind Diablo and Battlenet picked Arenanet for their new company name, not Flagship.If you want to buy and play Hellgate, knock yourself out. I honestly feel sorry for anyone that can only afford one game and gets duped into buy Hellgate over the Witcher because every reviewer has to mention D2 when talking about Hellgate.
They don't need to tone it down at all, people just need to:1. Realize this isn't a hack n slash and you might have to think while playing it.2. Pay attention to NPCs like those that tell you "Hey take this sword oil it will make killing the beast way easier."3. Not rush it do some side quests get higher level4. learn how to play the game, learn from their mistakes5. be more prepared, you're told over nad over you need potions to survive you are a witcher after all... then people come and say I have no potion blah blah blah, just poor preparation not the games fault..The beast is so easy on normal difficulty I laughed. I took him on easy, easily and with all this griping I thought I might have some difficulty but nope he died even without aard pretty fast.

Well, may be a demo might help choosing a game or another, but considering the amount of info on the site, in magazines, the screenshots, the gameplay videos (mainly the gameplay video in fact), I had quite a good idea about the witcher gameplay before buying it. Would a demo have changed my point of view, gave really much more info? I don't think it would have changed anything. Most of the demos I tried in the past never really surprised me after I read the game previews and tests in my PC mag. Maybe some gamers, less hooked on the project, might be convinced by such promotion tool. May be it would be an extra way to hook people to the game. But should it be considered as a key element? I don't think so.To finish, When I decided to look at the Witcher, I was looking for a RPG. Games that I may have considered in competition with the witcher were other RPG (I still not have bought Neverwinter nights 2). I wouldn't have considered a game as hellgate london or supreme commander as a competitor to the Witcher. But maybe, for gamers with no a priori about what will be the next game they will buy (Many people can't afford all the games coming out, even when limitating to the good ones) a demo might make the difference.So, for Hardcore RPGers, those who have been following The Witcher project, or those with unlimited ressources, a demo might not have been a key choice element. But for many other gamers, the more they have opportunities to discover the Witcher, the more probably they will choose it as their next game. It is so worth of it.

I played the hellgate demo for about 20 min I must confess I hated it. Don't know if it was a driver problem but the textures looked terrible and game play seemed dreadful, but i did not realy give it much of a chance before wiping it from my system in disgust. There was so much p.r on this game I expected something blistering from the word go. It looked like some obscure title you pick up in the bargin bin when you are bored out of youre head and then regret you did not go for the bottle of vodka instead. Many people seem to realy like it so it's just down to taste I suppose.I like to play a demo before parting with cash but with the witcher read the reviews saw what people were saying on other forums and went straight out and bought it.Glad I did best fun I have had in a long time and it seems to grow on you considerable each time you play. I bought cod4 at the same time its great, but as I write it's sitting on the side of my desk gathering dust and I suspect it will be their for sometime to come.

Ok I tryed the Demo as well and found it to be ok not what they lead it to be in the begining.For me its the kind of game I would play if I found it on sale and dint have anything better to play For me TW beat it hand down For me HGL is more of a power game Wich is fine I injoy power gaming as well finding stuff and so on.And with TW you have a veary good story line and the quest are not just go to A and B but more then that it a story with in a story.

i just got the witcher today. it's just as good as i expected, although it's prone to crash on my vista system.it doesn't make sense to compare this to hellgate. that's a completely different game. with that said, i bought it and i plan on finishing it, but it's definitely not the worst game ever. however i'm on act 4 (of 5 acts) and i'm realizing this game is EXTREMELY repetitive. if you played the demo, you'll get a feel for the entire game.

it doesn't make sense to compare this to hellgate. that's a completely different game. with that said, i bought it and i plan on finishing it, but it's definitely not the worst game ever. however i'm on act 4 (of 5 acts) and i'm realizing this game is EXTREMELY repetitive.
Does that surprise you? There is a nice drawing by Chris Avellone that pretty much summarizes what Action/RPGs are all about.

I thought someone summed up the differences between Hellgate and The Witcher fairly well based on their experience with both:*You want to kill endless amounts of mobs with no storyline--Hellgate is for you.*You want a storyline where killing mobs is secondary, but fundamental--choose WitcherHaven't played Hellgate and have no interest in it, so I'll defer to the experts.

due to a different thread I figured out the best game to compare it toVampire:Bloodlines. Bloodlines is more complex. Many more factions to align with. Having to feed on helpless bystanders Major side plots that affect your development/abilities.Witcher is more alive. The bad guys offend you. the good guys offend you. The line between good and bad is so close that the players viewpoint makes one side whiter than the other.the fighting in both is rudimentary/ secondary. Better in witcher, but hell it's bound to be. Progress.

I played both games, HGL and The Witcher.While HGL is and has been buggy beyond belief and the SP community did not receive any support in over two months....well if you ignore that, HGL is something for a quick kick and fun.You can hack'n slach, shoot'n bomb or shoot'n cast your way through a couple of levels. The story is...well a bit dull to some extend and the story line is very very obvious and straight forward.The Witcher gives you a more vivid enviroment and what I like the most is the atmosphere. While you run around and know that you are always killing the 'bad guys' in HGL you often only have the choice between shitty and shittier (excuse my language but it just suits the situation). The world evolves around you and doesn't stay linear all the time. While you get sidequests in HGL as well, you will not stumble over the mere chances of clicking on townsfolk and suddenly (well after a bribe or a decent amount of drinkining) you will get infos and journal entries.I admit I am a bit fed up with HGL since they treated us badly but I will stick with what I said:HGL: Short time funThe Witcher: Play it over and over again and for hours.But everyone is entitled to an opinion

I bought HGL and was heavily shocked about the synchro...The Intro Movie was alright, and spicy... but when that guy started to narrate the whole good and evil thing from the book my ears started to bleed... *shudder*I also found it dumb that all characters looked like Poser 5.0 3D Models, faking age by dying the hair gray and propping a beard into their faces. They still looked all like teenagers to me.I played a while, because its easy fun when I just want to chill and mouse-click-spam. But usually that doesn't take much longer than 15 Minutes... and I want more substance in my game.I refuse to buy myself into this weird online system so I can play elite level. Paying money for extra items and stuff is plain sick... and in my opinion it kills a game since it's only a question of the biggest money-bag.But nothing beats The Witcher fantasy-roleplay-wise.This game got action, complexity, depth, snarky dialogues, sexy content, authentic feel to the surroundings and much more.

KainsDaughter said:
I played both games, HGL and The Witcher.While HGL is and has been buggy beyond belief and the SP community did not receive any support in over two months....well if you ignore that, HGL is something for a quick kick and fun.You can hack'n slach, shoot'n bomb or shoot'n cast your way through a couple of levels. The story is...well a bit dull to some extend and the story line is very very obvious and straight forward.The Witcher gives you a more vivid environment and what I like the most is the atmosphere. While you run around and know that you are always killing the 'bad guys' in HGL you often only have the choice between shitty and shittier (excuse my language but it just suits the situation). The world evolves around you and doesn't stay linear all the time. While you get side quests in HGL as well, you will not stumble over the mere chances of clicking on townsfolk and suddenly (well after a bribe or a decent amount of drinking) you will get infos and journal entries.I admit I am a bit fed up with HGL since they treated us badly but I will stick with what I said:HGL: Short time funThe Witcher: Play it over and over again and for hours.But everyone is entitled to an opinion
HGL in my opinion is a pile of dog pooh - with so much hype the game just does not live up to what the dev team must have planned for. Same with Two Worlds, another frigging let down by the game developers. Then comes along "The Witcher" - i had my doubts at firsts but after reading up on game reviews and watching the game trailers, i was tempted but resisted the urge. But finally with nothing else to do i gave in and bought the game. After playing it through the first time with just the info from the game NPC's i finished it. Checked the game guides and realized that there was more to this game then what it appears to be. Played it the second and third time just to appreciate the whole game in general. It may not be 100%, but it was worth the buck.

I had quite some hours of fun with HGL but unlike The Witcher it has a lot less replay value. Scenes are always very similiar, mobs don't vary all that much either. After a while the game feels a bit dull. And even now that they have brought out the next patch...I still haven't caught the little spark again to play again. I might one day...but I am known to play games I love over and over again and I am pretty sure it will be the case for this one :)

HGL is nothing compared to the witcher,first it got zero atmosphere and about no story what so ever and it is so damn repetitive,but it got one thing a very good pr man bill roper and thats why all this hype come from.The witcher is an fresh wind in the RPG games some things could been done better yes but I do love this game :)and yes I know my english is bad sorry.

HGL = Hack and Slash and finding loot and showing it off to your friends TW = Lots of quest Story line that mixes in with the main quest as well as finding about your char.Finding quest thing not for the quest sake but also for your self Now to me it all depend on what one is in the mood for I dont mind having a few hr of fun with HGL but in time it can gets oldwhere TW has a lot more hr of fun and a lot of replay

Top Bottom