Space Travel

+
Space Travel

As far as i remember from what i've read back in the day, there were quite a few space stations and many missions to Mars and other planets in our solar system. Also there were a few space colonies. (I remember that because there was an orbital colony revolt or something) I don't remember if there was a Mars colony or not, but i think even if there wasn't, by 2077 they would colonize Mars. (57 years is more than enough)

So wouldn't it be nice if we get the chance to visit them? Not as in buying a spaceship and going from planet to planet, but buying a ticket to Mars colonies (or any other colonies out there) and doing a few missions there. I mean the main story could take you to the colonies at some point, (like small settlements) but then you would have to go back to Earth. What do you guys think?

View attachment 858
View attachment 857
View attachment 859
View attachment 860

Attachments

• MarsDome.jpg
    MarsDome.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 61
  • big.jpg
    big.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 94
  • Space_station_tracking.jpg
    Space_station_tracking.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 653
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 103
If there's a way to an insane and destructive transhumanism in Earth (and an innate coloniamism in our occidental/asian cultures), I believe that should get reflected to the rest of the space.

It all depends in considering the development stage of technology, ability to travel long or very long light-year distances could be too much of a topic for only a game. Well, that topic is somewhat mentioned in EVE Online with the wormhole that bridged civilizations across the universe (and suddenly, that wormhole closes and each one that isn't near enough gets isolated).

Maybe Cyberpunk 2120 could be about a future where humans are able to manipulate space and time, there are lots of sci-fi and cyberpunk-like stories to inspire about it too.

If there's a way to an insane and destructive transhumanism in Earth (and an innate coloniamism in our occidental/asian cultures), I believe that should get reflected to the rest of the space.

It all depends in considering the development stage of technology, ability to travel long or very long light-year distances could be too much of a topic for only a game. Well, that topic is somewhat mentioned in EVE Online with the wormhole that bridged civilizations across the universe (and suddenly, that wormhole closes and each one that isn't near enough gets isolated).

Maybe Cyberpunk 2120 could be about a future where humans are able to manipulate space and time, there are lots of sci-fi and cyberpunk-like stories to inspire about it too.

Are you at all familiar with Cyberpunk? There were space colonies and many space missions in Cyberpunk 2020... I remember the mention of a Mars base on one of the Cyberpunk books as well.

I guess when i said space travel, you didn't read the rest of my post and assumed it was about something like Stargate or Star Trek, where you can travel to other star systems. I was talking about a trip to the space colonies that exist in 2020. (And like i said, there was a Mars mission, but i'm not sure if they colonized it.)

Space missions and tech are present in Cyberpunk, but not very commonly experienced by the players. The Crystal Palace slides far above earth, it's Euro-elite dictating the future for the rest of us. The ESA, European Space Agency, uses massdrivers to blackmail/control the planet and enforce their relatively gentle but ruthless when necessary rule.

There are whole Highrider colonies and culture, though. Quite interesting stuff.

Space missions and tech are present in Cyberpunk, but not very commonly experienced by the players. The Crystal Palace slides far above earth, it's Euro-elite dictating the future for the rest of us. The ESA, European Space Agency, uses massdrivers to blackmail/control the planet and enforce their relatively gentle but ruthless when necessary rule.

There are whole Highrider colonies and culture, though. Quite interesting stuff.

Wasn't there a story arc called "Deep Space" though? Where players could have space related adventures and stuff? I only remember the name though, so there is that.

Deep Space does in fact state that there is regular traffic to and from Mars, that we have established a colony there, complete with robotic manufacturing.... however efforts to terraform Mars have pretty much been minor and inconsequential. There is even a manned research probe at Jupiter by the year 2025 (the year Deep Space takes place in).

However, gameplay wise, there really isn't that much that is appealing for a long term game of space travel. The ship can't deviate from course as its all automated, and because of the hyper-realistic nature of space travel in Cyberpunk 2020, you spend most of the trip asleep, in a vast empty void.

You could run an interesting one shot or two there, but nothing that would be all that interesting from a larger game perspective. Even when you get to mars, life would be pretty fucking boring unless you really are into playing the role of a research scientist collecting dirt or a factory worker watching the robots do there thing...

The manga Planettes (and the anime series it spawned) offer a pretty spot on glimpse of what a Cyberpunk space campaign might look like...

But even at one of the satellites or colonies, it would be far more 2001, without the aliens and obelisk and much less Total Recall. At best you might end up with some Outland type action, but that would be pretty rare...

The reality is, space is boring...

Being able to go to the crystal palace space resort in orbit around the earth might be a fun DLC expansion, but beyond that there just isn't anything out there, and everyone is way to dependent on everyone else for there to be any real conflict.

Deep Space does in fact state that there is regular traffic to and from Mars, that we have established a colony there, complete with robotic manufacturing.... however efforts to terraform Mars have pretty much been minor and inconsequential. There is even a manned research probe at Jupiter by the year 2025 (the year Deep Space takes place in).

However, gameplay wise, there really isn't that much that is appealing for a long term game of space travel. The ship can't deviate from course as its all automated, and because of the hyper-realistic nature of space travel in Cyberpunk 2020, you spend most of the trip asleep, in a vast empty void.

You could run an interesting one shot or two there, but nothing that would be all that interesting from a larger game perspective. Even when you get to mars, life would be pretty fucking boring unless you really are into playing the role of a research scientist collecting dirt or a factory worker watching the robots do there thing...

The manga Planettes (and the anime series it spawned) offer a pretty spot on glimpse of what a Cyberpunk space campaign might look like...

But even at one of the satellites or colonies, it would be far more 2001, without the aliens and obelisk and much less Total Recall. At best you might end up with some Outland type action, but that would be pretty rare...

The reality is, space is boring...

Being able to go to the crystal palace space resort in orbit around the earth might be a fun DLC expansion, but beyond that there just isn't anything out there, and everyone is way to dependent on everyone else for there to be any real conflict.

You could go to space colonies as a side mission. (to steal research data for third parties, to recruit a scientist for a corporation, to kill someone to fulfill a contract, to make people of a certain colony rebel and so forth) Assuming it's done right, it could be really fun.

It could be like; You need to gain access to a military base, there is only one person who can help you with that, Doctor Sarah Winfield. You then go to Dr. Winfield's office on Night City, you ask for her help, but she tells you she will only help you if you help her first. She then sends you to a space station colony to retrieve something, (like i said, what you have to retrieve can change, depending on who you are. A nomad, a corporate guy, a cop or whatever.) When you reach there, you learn that what you are searching for is no longer there, its now on its way to Crystal Palace. (or the guy you are there to recruit is gone to Crystal Palace), now you have to go to Mars colony to gain access to Crystal Palace, and from there you could go to the Crystal Palace space resort and finish your mission. Then you have to go back to Earth to access the military base so you can proceed with your main mission on Earth..

Does it sound any good?

You could go to space colonies as a side mission. (to steal research data for third parties, to recruit a scientist for a corporation, to kill someone to fulfill a contract, to make people of a certain colony rebel and so forth) Assuming it's done right, it could be really fun.

It could be like; You need to gain access to a military base, there is only one person who can help you with that, Doctor Sarah Winfield. You then go to Dr. Winfield's office on Night City, you ask for her help, but she tells you she will only help you if you help her first. She then sends you to a space station colony to retrieve something, (like i said, what you have to retrieve can change, depending on who you are. A nomad, a corporate guy, a cop or whatever.) When you reach there, you learn that what you are searching for is no longer there (or the guy you are there to recruit is gone to Crystal Palace), now you have to go to Mars colony to gain access to Crystal Palace, and from there you could go to the Crystal Palace space resort and finish your mission. Then you have to go back to Earth to access the military base so you can proceed with your main mission on Earth..

Does it sound any good?

No... not really... because it takes 2 bloody years to go to mars. then two bloody years to get back to Crystal Palace/Earth...

The games timeline is going to be wonky enough as it is...

Not to mention what you are suggesting is pretty far off the charts for your average cyberpunk .... Going to mars requires a pretty specialized set of skills, not to mention psych workups, complete background checks, and all sorts of other red tape... it would be far to much work for any agency to send a random schmuck off the streets to do something like that when they could just hire someone who was already going...

No... not really... because it takes 2 bloody years to go to mars. then two bloody years to get back to Crystal Palace/Earth...

The games timeline is going to be wonky enough as it is...

Think about it, it took 2 years of time on 2025, but that was 52 years ago, they may have shortened that time to a great extent. They may have space ships that are way more advanced than what they had back in the day. Cyberpunk is all about technological advancement and abusing that advancement any way humanly possible. So it is possible they would invent a faster space ship engine.

It'd be cool, but it wouldn't make much of a difference. It'd essentially just be another district in the city with a different skybox. I'd prefer the full focus of development to be on Night City.

Forum veteran
Given that "space" sections in games tend to be little more than groan-inducing padding, I hope we remain within the realm of gravity. All the interesting stuff is here. I mean, space is boring and constantly throwing rocks at us. It's like a jealous ex boyfriend on a cosmic scale who can't get over the fact that life is in a long-term relationship with earth. Even if they could put interesting stuff in space to experience in the game, why not just dress that up a little differently and add those elements to the main area?

I can't think of any compelling reason to have a space section except for the sake of having a space section present, and that's not much of a reason. Seems like a great way to flatten the metaphorical tires of the narrative by forcing them to work in unnecessary travel.

Think about it, it took 2 years of time on 2025, but that was 52 years ago, they may have shortened that time to a great extent.
I was under the impression that they moved the date up so that it'd be far enough away of a date to seem plausible. Have they given any indication that they're actually moving the technology forward fifty years with the date?

Given that "space" sections in games tend to be little more than groan-inducing padding, I hope we remain within the realm of gravity. All the interesting stuff is here. I mean, space is boring and constantly throwing rocks at us. It's like a jealous ex boyfriend on a cosmic scale who can't get over the fact that life is in a long-term relationship with earth. Even if they could put interesting stuff in space to experience in the game, why not just dress that up a little differently and add those elements to the main area?

I can't think of any compelling reason to have a space section except for the sake of having a space section present, and that's not much of a reason. Seems like a great way to flatten the metaphorical tires of the narrative by forcing them to work in unnecessary travel.

I was under the impression that they moved the date up so that it'd be far enough away of a date to seem plausible. Have they given any indication that they're actually moving the technology forward fifty years with the date?

Are you serious or your imagination is really that dull? There are many possibilities space missions can bring. I rather visit space colonies rather than do a few fetch missions on Earth.
They invented whole new technology called braindance. Some of the other technologies (if not most of them) might have been greatly improved. (Like space shuttles.)

I'll prolly be having too much fun in Night City to be worried about space. At least in this installment....

Think about it, it took 2 years of time on 2025, but that was 52 years ago, they may have shortened that time to a great extent. They may have space ships that are way more advanced than what they had back in the day. Cyberpunk is all about technological advancement and abusing that advancement any way humanly possible. So it is possible they would invent a faster space ship engine.

Not without moving into the realm of science fantasy...

What you are suggesting is a star trek game, not cyberpunk. It was the main failing of the otherwise brilliant Cowboy Bebop, which would have been an excellent cyberpunk series, had it not been for the patently absurd space travel and unrealistic spaceships

I could see Crystal Palace, but only as a DLC expansion, absolutely nothing more... Anything more and the game moves completely out of Cyberpunk and loses focus completely to become fantasy.

I was under the impression that they moved the date up so that it'd be far enough away of a date to seem plausible. Have they given any indication that they're actually moving the technology forward fifty years with the date?[/QUOTE]

No, and popular hopes and wishes are exactly that... that the date is being pushed forward, but that the timline itself is stretched out with a new point of divergence being 2020.... That other than a few obvious things, like cell-phones and computers being updated, the tech level of 2077 stays relatively the same as that of 2020. Really, anything else will be kind of a dissapointment.

Are you serious or your imagination is really that dull? There are many possibilities space missions can bring. I rather visit space colonies rather than do a few fetch missions on Earth.
They invented whole new technology called braindance. Some of the other technologies (if not most of them) might have been greatly improved. (Like space shuttles.)

It seems you know about as much about space travel as you do Cyberpunk 2020... that is very little... It;s not a question of imagination... its a question of plausibility. This isn't star trek, it has to be believable as being tomorrow... no warp drive, no folding space, no FTL travel...

Cyberpunk is about the human level, the gutter... it's not about light sabers and zipping across the galaxy... if you want that, there are a whole slew of star wars games out there to choose from.

Really anything beyond the outer rings of the crystal palace is a bad idea anyway, where centrifugal force generates false gravity. Do you have any idea of the headache that would be involved in trying to simulate anti-gravity in a video game... the hundreds of different animations that they would have to program just for the character to move around and not look ridiculous?

Not without moving into the realm of science fantasy...

What you are suggesting is a star trek game, not cyberpunk. It was the main failing of the otherwise brilliant Cowboy Bebop, which would have been an excellent cyberpunk series, had it not been for the patently absurd space travel and unrealistic spaceships

I could see Crystal Palace, but only as a DLC expansion, absolutely nothing more... Anything more and the game moves completely out of Cyberpunk and loses focus completely to become fantasy.

No, and popular hopes and wishes are exactly that... that the date is being pushed forward, but that the timline itself is stretched out with a new point of divergence being 2020.... That other than a few obvious things, like cell-phones and computers being updated, the tech level of 2077 stays relatively the same as that of 2020. Really, anything else will be kind of a dissapointment.

It seems you know about as much about space travel as you do Cyberpunk 2020... that is very little... It;s not a question of imagination... its a question of plausibility. This isn't star trek, it has to be believable as being tomorrow... no warp drive, no folding space, no FTL travel...

Cyberpunk is about the human level, the gutter... it's not about light sabers and zipping across the galaxy... if you want that, there are a whole slew of star wars games out there to choose from.

Really anything beyond the outer rings of the crystal palace is a bad idea anyway, where centrifugal force generates false gravity. Do you have any idea of the headache that would be involved in trying to simulate anti-gravity in a video game... the hundreds of different animations that they would have to program just for the character to move around and not look ridiculous?

You seem to fail to read what i'm writing, yet you do not fail to comment. I was talking about traveling to nearby space colonies like Deep Space arc. To mars and such, not any further away. Where the hell did you ever read me saying "I want to explore other galaxies"? When the HELL did i ever say i wanted a game like Star Trek? (What are you smoking? Because i must have some) Also, did you know it takes about 8 months to reach mars from Earth? (depending on your origin point) Even now they are searching ways to shorten that time. You seem have no idea what you are talking about. Yet you claim to know anything and everything.. (Well, you think you know everything and i will not try to convince you otherwise, after all, we all have illusions we have to live with) Very mature of you...

Forum veteran
There are many possibilities space missions can bring.
There any many possibilities that roving gangs of sex-crazed clowns could bring, too. Doesn't mean that they're a good idea.

What's with the personal attacks? Seriously, take a step back.

There any many possibilities that roving gangs of sex-crazed clowns could bring, too. Doesn't mean that they're a good idea.

What's with the personal attacks? Seriously, take a step back.

Seriously? How and when did i ever personally attacked anyone? If you are talking about what i've said to Wisdom just now, i consider him as a friend.. (Even though he never actually bothers to read what i'm saying and doesn't really think much highly of me... yeah) We are just having a discussion.

Perhaps I simply dull-imagined it.

I'm sorry if i offended you, that wasn't my intention. I really didn't think that would in any way upset you. (And that wasn't, in any way, a personal attack. To be perfectly honest, i though we were having a decent conversation... Perhaps i was wrong...)

Top Bottom