Space Travel

+
I could see the Crystal Palace as an expansion, but I don't expect to get there, right out of the gate. I *certainly* don't expect travel to Mars.

Yep. See, the thing about near-future games is that their attraction is their plausibility. For me, anyway. Much of Cyberpunk can happen. Some of it has. That gives it a spooky "duck, because tomorrow is here and it doesn't like you at all" feeling.

Space tourism and localized travel is quite realistic and has a place in Cyberpunk, but a very local travel and space culture takes place. All thoroughly riddled with cynicism, greed, moral bankruptcy and desperate heroes trying to do the right thing in between bringing home the soy-bacon.

I doubt we will see the Crystal Palace or LEO or Highriders from CDPR. It's tough enough to keep things plausible without extra-atmospheric options.

i am not really intersted in this...i want Night City and some outlands, i am happy with this. Too much is never good.
I want to hear from space travel in news and people talikng about it but i dont want to go in the mars and such things...

Just show us hints that offworld colonies exist.

But, as much as I like cyberpunk stories set in places like Mars (Total Recall, Armitage III... Cowboy Bebop...) I don't know how developed these colonies are. If it's going to look "urban" or "Straylight Villa-ish" it's okay, but if it's going to need assets that make it too "Space racey" and "Astronaut-ish" better not to have it as a playable scenario. I would be more interested in seeing other cities of Earth in this or future expansions, sequels...

Warsend... I was having a shitty day yesterday, and I got a little harsh... I still think anything beyond the crystal palace, and even then only as post game DLC, would be a bad idea... but I could have been not so douchey in saying so...

Warsend... I was having a shitty day yesterday, and I got a little harsh... I still think anything beyond the crystal palace, and even then only as post game DLC, would be a bad idea... but I could have been not so douchey in saying so...

Wisdom, you know i respect and value your opinion, and i don't necessarily think my opinion is always right. Next time, please try to remember i'm not your enemy.

I just don't want any place in the Cyberpunk universe unexplored. Also i want this game to be very similar to the PNP game. But it wouldn't really matter to me if this game didn't had any similar story arcs like "deep space". I just thought it could be fun.

I wouldn't mind visiting space as long as they stay true to source material. But I'd rather not see any dlc for this game. Either put it on release version, solid expansion (20-30 hours) or just save it for sequel.
Also length of the trip shouldn't be a problem. Story-telling in games should be able to handle skipping days, months even years (Dragon Age 2).

But if not directly contact with space maybe we could see about it in news and files. I personally like me some mystery so maybe there could be discovery of some spaceship that vanished some years ago or ship returns to Earth with everybody on board dead. Then maybe you could be part of solving the mystery somehow.
Thinking here bit something like the tanker from Bloodlines.

I wouldn't mind visiting space as long as they stay true to source material. But I'd rather not see any dlc for this game. Either put it on release version, solid expansion (20-30 hours) or just save it for sequel.
Also length of the trip shouldn't be a problem. Story-telling in games should be able to handle skipping days, months even years (Dragon Age 2).

But if not directly contact with space maybe we could see about it in news and files. I personally like me some mystery so maybe there could be discovery of some spaceship that vanished some years ago or ship returns to Earth with everybody on board dead. Then maybe you could be part of solving the mystery somehow.
Thinking here bit something like the tanker from Bloodlines.

I may sound controversial in this aspect, but I always believed adventure genre mixes quite well with RPG one. Solving mysteries and such can be some form of side-quests related to the overall universe of the game, and able to add deep to it.

Space is a difficult topic to use, because it can go quite terror and amazing or boring and cheesy. That's one of the bad aspects of Star Trek, it had great topics and stories but it had too cheesy moments to take it as serious. But don't worry, Star Wars made it worse with some kind of space samurais with tons of stuff from children adventure books (and gone even worse with new stuff, I'm "excited" to see what kind of absolute and patetic bullshit Disney and EA is going to make).

Here there is my opinion about what I think are some nice examples from classic science fiction movies that make good use of space in their plots, even if they have different flaws that can be discussed in a very lenghty way:

- Silent Running: The script could be better in many ways, but the essence is correct. There's a contradiction by the main character, and a critic to the stupid and retarded selfish attitude we humans can have.
- Moon
- The Andromeda Strain
- Serenity
- Forbidden Planet: It's cheesy as hell for today standards, but it's an old movie and has an interesting cyberpunk-like plot.
- Outland

For example, some abilities or contacts would only be done by doing certain risky and mysterious missions. There you will need to investigate, talk others and be smart in some way.

Of course, I'm more of an adventure game nerd than a RPG guy and role-playing is new to me but attracting in many ways. But fantasy is too boring to my pseudo-scientific mind, so I prefer Cyberpunk and geekish sci-fi stuff (I need to check about possible complex role-playing games about other stuff like politics, but Risk is too childish to me).

As far as space goes I think the farthest they should take it is references to asteroid mining, and perhaps making up some new elements they found out there.

Given it's their first large sci-fi game and one they hope to keep to schedule, if there are plans for other planets, they'll part of DLC. Personally, if they do for the DLC approach, I really hope that it will be less like Mass Effect and more like Far Cry 3 where the story concerns a different character whose story will run parallel to the original content or be a set up for a sequel.

As an absolute glutton for space sci-fi, I would be over the moon if it were to really occur.

It's a cool idea! few chain missions in space would be total kickass! ..It doesnt have to be implemented in main game even if they cant for some reason they could just release some DLC later on that allows us to travel to one of the colonies in spaces.

It would be nice if we were able to hack into a NASA terminal and be able to control a Mars rover or some other rovers on diferent planets ;)

i think it's a matter of how people of the near future would react to the lifestyle outside earth. I mean, cyberpunk is about how people of the near future would react to a lot of things like augmentations and cyberspace stuff. We had games like deus ex about it. Some other games like shadowrun included magic and monster society with a dragon running for president. Long story short it's about what martians are going through. Nearly everyone on mars might be 99,99% augmented because of this and that, while "natural" people might almost be non existant due to mars effects on health.
Also there's no need of the whole thing to be part of C2077. We could hear of mars from some people talking in a bar or in tv, w/e

I like the idea of space and space exploration, but that might be a bit much to realistically undertake, at least in the first game installment. I'd prefer CDPR spend their resources tightening up the main city and surrounding Hubs.

As for future games and/or DLC's? I absolutely endorse it, provided it's properly done and executed.

It would be nice if we were able to hack into a NASA terminal and be able to control a Mars rover or some other rovers on diferent planets ;)

For some strange but totally cool reason, that sounds awesome :D

i think it's a matter of how people of the near future would react to the lifestyle outside earth. I mean, cyberpunk is about how people of the near future would react to a lot of things like augmentations and cyberspace stuff. We had games like deus ex about it. Some other games like shadowrun included magic and monster society with a dragon running for president. Long story short it's about what martians are going through. Nearly everyone on mars might be 99,99% augmented because of this and that, while "natural" people might almost be non existant due to mars effects on health.
Also there's no need of the whole thing to be part of C2077. We could hear of mars from some people talking in a bar or in tv, w/e

Compared to us, it is not "near future", now, is it? They already had cybernetic implants and many other highly advanced technology by 2013. (I would say, they are ahead of us by 100 years or so)

well yea they are pretty far, i still don't know much about c2020 background story, however in sci fi societies everything is solved and they are very far from us in terms of space and time while cyberpunk worlds are between ours and (for example) the star trek one and still going through changes. In that sense they are closer to our world

well yea they are pretty far, i still don't know much about c2020 background story, however in sci fi societies everything is solved and they are very far from us in terms of space and time while cyberpunk worlds are between ours and (for example) the star trek one and still going through changes. In that sense they are closer to our world

Try reading earlier posts, also i suggest reading Wisdom's Cyberpunk Database.. There, you will find almost everything you will ever need about cyberpunk.

Keep it on Earth. While this stuff exists in Cyberpunk, it is a very different environment to the nitty-gritty on the streets that embodies the feel that the studio wants to give this game. I feel like it would likely end up as a disjointed, incongruent distraction, and I don't see any very compelling reason to stuff it in the game.

Top Bottom