[SPOILERS] Evelyn Parker, wasted potential! Your Thoughts?

+
How is the story about Johny and not V dealing with very bad card being given to him/her /sigh

As for the OP yes I would have liked for Evelyn to have a bigger role in all of this...maybe have you and her discuss/plan how to double cross Dex.
.....to be honest the whole first part could (and maybe should have been) a lot slower. And I liked how T-bug was at Dex's side in the trailer...that way no matter how powerful your V is there is always someone who can counter them so Dex can actually kill you. As it is I wonder why my V didn't just hack Dex's gun and kill the bodyguard then have a few questions with Dex:)

...that being said I am not against important characters dying and I am ok with there not being any way to save them.

to be honest, i want to agree with you but i cant agree with you.
Yes Evelyn was (for me) the best character in the game. I loved her and i wished we would have had WAY MORE to do with her.
But we also have to consider, even though this should be a RPG, that you cant save everyone.
I would say she went out too early, but her going out is not necessarily a bad thing.
Post automatically merged:

Cant save everyone. Im sure you also heard of countless stories of people doing suicide even though they got all the help they could get.
Like i said she went out too early, but her going out is not necessarily a bad thing.

Whats weird is that, even though we couldnt do much with her, she was my most favourite character in the game and i also wished to see her alive, but im not really mad at her dying.

I strongly disagree with this notion "Can't save everyone." especially in games with a strong emphasis on player agency, there was a reason why I mentioned Keira Metz (what's funny is that she dies in two of her scenarios out of three).
Games are not movies and/or books, games are a medium with a strong emphasis on player agency to varying degrees.
And I would like to ask not to resort to comparison with real life, I personally hate when my supposed entertainment (a.k.a games) tries hard to remind me of futility of real-life (my mother died this year after battling with diseases for six years).
My biggest gripes with Evelyn Parker as a character is all the built-up intrigue (which falls flat on the face right after the heist) and her ultimate fate (offing her offscreen after dragging me through multiple missions to save her).

P.S. I'm not against characters dying in-games, I played all the Yakuza series games and loved them (and there are a couple of deaths in each entry of that series). What I don't like is meaningless deaths after played-up players agency for the sake of drama or futility reminders.

Last edited:
I strongly disagree with this notion "Can't save everyone." especially in games with a strong emphasis on player agency, there was a reason why I mentioned Keira Metz (what's funny is that she dies in two of her scenarios out of three).
Games are not movies and/or books, games are a medium with a strong emphasis on player agency to varying degrees.
And I would like to ask not to resort to comparison with real life, I personally hate when my supposed entertainment (a.k.a games) tries hard to remind me of futility of real-life (my mother died this year after battling with diseases for six years).
My biggest gripes with Evelyn Parker as a character is all the built-up intrigue (which falls flat on the face right after the heist) and her ultimate fate (offing her offscreen after dragging me through multiple missions to save her).

well that is just a pov.
Judy said from the beginning that when you take a shortcut, the city always gets you and that is exactly what Evelyn did.
I mean i have nothing against there being a option to save Evelyn, in fact i would appreciate it, since she is my most favourite character, but like i also said, i wouldnt mind her dying.

For her to die though, i want to at least learn more about her and have way more to do with her.
Also i dont like the way she died. It felt like, she was just a tool to push Judys Story / Romance.
I also feel like that she DID in fact play a big role, but they must have done something after they got Keanu Reeves. Probably cut her story short.

So i agree with you that the most stupid thing they did was offing her offscreen. She didnt deserve that.

Judy kinda spoiled the game with her 'don't cut corners' speech, didn't she:)

....honestly, I would have liked to record it and then beat Jacky on his stupid big head with it..../sigh
.....or as soon as Dex told my corpo V what the job is about to just go 'no thank you'....and then leap from the moving car for good measure:D

What's tragic about that is what I mentioned in OP, for "Judys Story / Romance" to work her death isn't necessary (the shit she went through and attempted suicide would've been enough).
yep, i think so as well.

By the way, not sure if you missed it in my comment earlier, but what do you think about Evelyns Icon when calling her? When i saw it for the first time, i was even more intruiged, because no other character had that kind of "scary" icon. It felt to me like she was a character with a big secret, just by seeing her icon. That picture is also a big reason for why i think she played a bigger role in the game, but maybe its just me and my stupid imagination xD

eve.PNG

Damn.. just writing about how Evelyn got wronged makes me appreciate her even more, even though we barely got to know her. Now i am really sad that she is dead..

yep, i think so as well.

By the way, not sure if you missed it in my comment earlier, but what do you think about Evelyns Icon when calling her? When i saw it for the first time, i was even more intruiged, because no other character had that kind of "scary" icon. It felt to me like she was a character with a big secret, just by seeing her icon. That picture is also a big reason for why i think she played a bigger role in the game, but maybe its just me and my stupid imagination xD

View attachment 11116931

For me personally, I didn't even get to calling her (to get intrigued), I was intrigued right from the start (from the very first interaction), she just had that "femme fatale" atmosphere in all her interactions pre-heist.

Damn.. just writing about how Evelyn got wronged makes me appreciate her even more, even though we barely got to know her. Now i am really sad that she is dead..

That's the reason why I started this thread, she got wronged really bad, really underappreciated character! :(

For me personally, I didn't even get to calling her (to get intrigued), I was intrigued right from the start (from the very first interaction), she just had that "femme fatale" atmosphere in all her interactions pre-heist.
Same, but it was during the heist when we called her automatically and i saw that icon that got me even more intrigued.

I was even going to betray dex when Evelyn gave me the offer to and split the money 50/50.
Sad that we never got to that.. Now that would have been a great story to go from there. You can either side with Dex or with Evelyn and get different results depending on which one you choose. Instead of that, they all just.. die? yay.. great story.

Same, but it was during the heist when we called her automatically and i saw that icon that got me even more intrigued.

I was even going to betray dex when Evelyn gave me the offer to and split the money 50/50.
Sad that we never got to that.. Now that would have been a great story to go from there. You can either side with Dex or with Evelyn and get different results depending on which one you choose. Instead of that, they all just.. die? yay.. great story.

In my 2nd playthrough, I sooooooooo wanted to betray Dex and take Evelyn's deal, alas game about life choices gave me no choice!

He is a character who immediately fascinated me. Too bad for three things, the first that there is no chance to betray Dex, the second that she died so soon and the last that there is no way to save her. Although I personally don't think she committed suicide ... but they finished the job.

He is a character who immediately fascinated me. Too bad for three things, the first that there is no chance to betray Dex, the second that she died so soon and the last that there is no way to save her. Although I personally don't think she committed suicide ... but they finished the job.

When i heard that she died, i tried to convince myself that she didnt just kill herself but that she was either killed by someone else while Judy was gone or that Judy killed her.

Does it matter now to think about it though? They completely wasted her..

I am not sure why they didn't give us the option to side with Evelyn (aside from time constraints) as it would have been easy thing to implement. We still would have needed T-bug to do her thing, so working with Dex still.
....there is a part where you can tell Jacky that 'you need to do something first' so he goes and wait for you in the taxi....I thought that this was the part where you can call Evelyn and discuss things further, but sadly she only has normal dialogue:(

When i heard that she died, i tried to convince myself that she didnt just kill herself but that she was either killed by someone else while Judy was gone or that Judy killed her.

Does it matter now to think about it though? They completely wasted her..

As things stand right now you are right, there's no point in debating how she really died (she got offed offscreen badly for plot or budget reasons).
But I think it's important to discuss these characters, these wasted potential moments in this game right now, to remind CDPR that they can do better (and hopefully fix this game not only bugfix wise).
IMHO this game needs something akin good old "Director's Cut" (like in some movies) real bad.

P.S. Sorry for a bit offtopic rant! :D

Last edited:
I am not sure why they didn't give us the option to side with Evelyn (aside from time constraints) as it would have been easy thing to implement. We still would have needed T-bug to do her thing, so working with Dex still.
....there is a part where you can tell Jacky that 'you need to do something first' so he goes and wait for you in the taxi....I thought that this was the part where you can call Evelyn and discuss things further, but sadly she only has normal dialogue:(
I think it was planned for us to grab the chip and then you could have decided to go to Evelyn or to Dex, but they obviously scrapped that and went ape shit on the "we have to push Johnny Silverhand aka Keanu Reeves (nothing against Keanu Reeves, i like him but i just dont like the forced Johnny Silverhand story) Story"

Evelyn's fate is probably a symptom of how the story and its characters were changed over time, and their importance diminished or completely disappeared despite having gone through a lot of development time. Ev is a very well fleshed out character for how little importance she's given in the story. Has a ton of personality, highly individualised model, fantastic VO, very atmospheric introduction into the story with an aura of mystery, was featured extensively in the game marketing etc. The reason it's surprising that she is gone so quickly is because she probably wasn't supposed to be.

TBug is a similar story. In a way that's even more shocking because the devs clearly spent a lot of time designing her, and she literally made an appearance twice, not counting the calls with V during the heist mission. Many characters feel like they've received a lot of love from the devs but were ultimately cut short and remained as kind of expensive leftover assets.

I totally sided with Evelyn against Dex because if I'm going to be a part of anyone's intrigue, I prefer it to be hers. It was very, very disappointing that this decision didn't matter. Again, it was probably supposed to matter at some point.

Perhaps this is not a common view, but to me, the whole dynamic of the game is reflected by what happened to Evelyn with many doors slammed shut for no good reason.
Several characters dying, like Ev and Jackie, before we get to even get to know them enough to feel bad for their deaths. V dying or leaving Night City in pretty much every ending. Judy and Panam leaving NC no matter what.
Kind of feels like the writers were very determined to make sure this story with this cast of characters can't go anywhere after the events of the main story as we've played it. And it's a bloody shame because it feels like reading a great book and finding out that there are only the first 2 chapters printed, and the rest is blank pages. It would take some heavy handed edits at this point in order not to cut this so short. Maybe they'll do that, who knows.

Knowing how much seems to have been sliced off this game, they probably had a bigger role for her but couldn't manage to finish the story in time or had to wrap it up before it was completed and some writer went 'ah fuck it just have her commit suicide offscreen and call it a day'

Evelyn's fate is probably a symptom of how the story and its characters were changed over time, and their importance diminished or completely disappeared despite having gone through a lot of development time. Ev is a very well fleshed out character for how little importance she's given in the story. Has a ton of personality, highly individualised model, fantastic VO, very atmospheric introduction into the story with an aura of mystery, was featured extensively in the game marketing etc. The reason it's surprising that she is gone so quickly is because she probably wasn't supposed to be.

TBug is a similar story. In a way that's even more shocking because the devs clearly spent a lot of time designing her, and she literally made an appearance twice, not counting the calls with V during the heist mission. Many characters feel like they've received a lot of love from the devs but were ultimately cut short and remained as kind of expensive leftover assets.

I totally sided with Evelyn against Dex because if I'm going to be a part of anyone's intrigue, I prefer it to be hers. It was very, very disappointing that this decision didn't matter. Again, it was probably supposed to matter at some point.

Perhaps this is not a common view, but to me, the whole dynamic of the game is reflected by what happened to Evelyn with many doors slammed shut for no good reason.
Several characters dying, like Ev and Jackie, before we get to even get to know them enough to feel bad for their deaths. V dying or leaving Night City in pretty much every ending. Judy and Panam leaving NC no matter what.
Kind of feels like the writers were very determined to make sure this story with this cast of characters can't go anywhere after the events of the main story as we've played it. And it's a bloody shame because it feels like reading a great book and finding out that there are only the first 2 chapters printed, and the rest is blank pages. It would take some heavy handed edits at this point in order not to cut this so short. Maybe they'll do that, who knows.

Couldnt have said it better, thank you.

I agree honestly Io really didn't care about T-bug and Jackie dying I had no connection to either of them but when I saw what the dev's did to Eve I was hurt . I know she died to progress Judy's story line and make her available t o date the player but really I wish they were not "together" so I could have dated or "hired " her .

I side with netwatch and burn all Voodo boys to the ground every time now for the attack that lead to all the horrible things she had to go to and eventually her death,

Last edited:
Knowing how much seems to have been sliced off this game, they probably had a bigger role for her but couldn't manage to finish the story in time or had to wrap it up before it was completed and some writer went 'ah fuck it just have her commit suicide offscreen and call it a day'
That's what I'm saying. Her death felt ridiculously lazy and frankly this fits with the rest of the game.

Top Bottom