[Spoiler] Was Evelyn Parker supposed to have a bigger role?

+
Yeah, and sadly the cat didn't poop even once.

1605047_Deckard_Zhora.jpg

Seen quite a lot of people talking about this. Personally, I like when characters that appear to be important or complex are killed of in similar fashion, for me, it highlights the ruthlessnes of the world or the settings, in a way, that no one is safe, yourself included. Which proved to be true more than i anticipated. Her death caught me off guard but at the same time i thought: 'Man, this is really fucking good.'

At least before i started thinking about her epitaph - 'Here lies Evelyn Parker - She indeed was a nice cut of fuckable meat.' sorry :D

I would have to say I'm in the middle. They had a good background to her. But the way she was used in the game. She's just a plot device. Her purpose in the game where: Start the heist, make the player go to the VDB, trigger your romance for Judy. She did not have anything that solely involved herself. I gotta ask though. If she knew she was messing around with the VDB's. I would have thought she'd hire some people from the animals. To at least protect her, if shit went to hell.

Last edited:
Evelyn isn't exactly wealthy, or she wouldn't be a doll. She can't just pony up protection money.

Besides, there are other problems with gang association since these are the worst kinds of criminals. If you don't have power and leverage in your dealings with them, they will use you and throw you away, as the VBDs did when it was no longer convenient for her to be around.

That is the great tragedy of Evelyn's character. She wanted to escape Clouds where she is subjected daily to a kind of AI controlled date rape. Where paying clients can use her like a toy and then throw her away, without her knowledge or consent and without awareness that its even happening.

When she gets involved in corporate espionage, it is because she believes it is her only chance to escape the life of a doll but she ends up just getting used and thrown away by different people. More powerful and more dangerous people in the information game.

How did Evelyn even get the scratch together to contract a runner (T-Bug) and two solos (V and Jackie) through a fixer? The only answer I could come up with is that all parties concerned were desperate enough to take on a high risk/high reward job and accept payment upon successful completion. Dex was desperate to get back into the fixer game after a 2 year exile. V and Jackie were desperate to get above street level. T-Bug was desperate for the one big payday so she could hang up her runner suit for good.

There are tonnes of problems with this arrangement but the obvious one is what happens if the heist fails? Who gets paid what and by whom? We know the answer to that having played the game - nobody gets paid and everyone dies.

I really disagree that she is just a plot device. The story doesn't feature Evelyn as herself because she doesn't own her own life. She isn't free to do what she wants or be what she wants to be. The heist is the only plan she has left for how to get there.

Last edited:
I'd use being a doll to "hire" protection. She was already doing this type of stuff as it was. You'd do anything to get out of it. She's a plot device. Regardless of her stance in life. They didn't feature her as a person. It was all background elements to the missions and other people. This also goes for T-Bug. And Jackie was barley higher than plot device. This is the fault of them not wanting to write for these characters more. You want me to invest. You need to write missions with the characters. Judy was with us. Panam was with us. River was with us.

I needed that for EVE to be on the same level. I really didn't care about her death. Because, at the end of the day. I saw it from this POV. She gave me this mission, it fucked up. She tried to get out of her problems. Which are bad. But V got screwed by everyone. I wouldn't feel remorse for her, before my character. Did she deserve death, no. But she jumped into the pot on her own. This is why I didn't date Judy. Not my place to get involved with.

Last edited:
No one really knows much about Evelyn. Even Judy tells us she has a different personality for every person and that no one really knew her.

She was a person who was suffering, who tried to escape the horrors she had to endure everyday. Like almost everyone in NC she failed. I just wished her fate was not so horrible. When you read the Messages in the Scav BD den you can see what they had put her through you kind of wish the VB had a better Hitman.

One of the Scavs wrote a message about her being a bad Omen and how she should be released. He was right. Her being their led V to them, who then proceeded to massacre them.

Last edited:
Well if they max out The Heist and you could choose with which one make a deal, Evelyn would be the one to whack you, then she gets whacked at the landfill and Dex runs away and you look for him instead for her. But its pure theory and it would work in a complex RPG, but based on how little real choices we have during whole game storywise, I don`t think they ever worked on that.
It could also have been a red herring, giving the idea that after the Heist, everyone has a plan for what they are going to do next. Making you as V think about whether you'd fuck over Dex or not - icnreasing the level of surprise about how the Heist actually unfolds.

Damn, its like we played entirely different games or something...
Dam Hayte!!! great info on Eve !! I played your game and is awesome to see how well you wrote about Eve

this game is a gem this is why we feel let down because we wanted more !!

Cyberpunk 2077 (like the literary genre cyberpunk) is hugely influenced by hard-boiled detective fiction and it's film adaptation in noir. Look no further than Blade Runner (especially the original version with the Harrison Ford voiceover) for this. The CP77 writers even nod to hard-boiled fiction in the job "Raymond Chandler Evening".

Evelyn is functionally the femme fatale that plunges the protagonist into a world of double-crosses and intractable dilemmas. Femme fatales don't need to be fully dimensional in hard-boiled fiction, only seductive, the honey pot that ultimately brings the detective woe.

Her character worked for me in this role. She's smart, uses her charms, and offers the protagonist a short-cut to everything (s)he wants in life. It might not work for other players, or if roleplaying a straight female, male homosexual or asexual. But it worked for me.

The player's response to Evelyn's plight after The Heist is intended to be motivated by the clues Evelyn might possess, or perhaps common human empathy for someone who herself was dealt a pretty bad hand by life. The protagonist keeps Evelyn's cigarette case for the same reason they keep the bullet charm: not out of sentimentality, but as a memento of past mistakes.

No one really knows much about Evelyn. Even Judy tells us she has a different personality for every person and that no one really knew her.

She was a person who was suffering, who tried to escape the horrors she had to endure everyday. Like almost everyone in NC she failed. I just wished her fate was not so horrible. When you read the Messages in the Scav BD den you can see what they had put her through you kind of wish the VB had a better Hitman.

One of the Scavs wrote a message about her being a bad Omen and how she should be released. He was right. Her being their led V to them, who then proceeded to massacre them.
There is one dialogue option when you play as Corpo :some details about hotels like Konpeki, where her act was failing - she had no clue what Corpo V was talking about.

Top Bottom