[Spoilers] River romance. Oversight or is he really just that open-minded?

+
Spoilers for the River quest line.

With River when talking with him and his family. There's lots of talk about family, family values and IIRC some points about starting his own (?). He struck me as a really straight shooter and kinda conservative old-fashioned guy. However - playing a female V which was born male - with some impressive equipment down there. Once we got going, not only did he not mention anything or stop. He just kept going and rammed me.

Maybe the devs didn't have time to flesh this out proper. Just felt weird that he didn't at least paused for a "Oh... OH!...". He didn't seem to mind at all. However in the cutscene, my penis was temporarily removed. So I dunno. Is he really just that open minded or is this an oversight / bug? I mean - it just felt weird. That he didn't even mention it or it giving him pause.

I just got the impression he wanted a family of his own with V. So I thought chicks with dicks wouldn't be up his alley at all - but it still happened.

When you're talking about conservative, you're using your perception of current societal values to apply it to a future scenario where it may no longer be relevant. You want him to freak out or something? That would have been stupid and would just end up making bad publicity, and then it would go into the stereotype of transgender characters "tricking" straight guys, just no, the game has enough criticism as it is already. It's pretty intended as it should be for transgender players to feel like everyone else, but still, Kerry should have been the straight or bi character instead of River since he had a wife and kids and talked a lot about women but then he's exclusively male.

As some have said, genital is just like clothes, they don't get checked by contents.

Last edited:

Ashii

Forum veteran
Short and simple answer: genitalia doesn't affect anything, that's it. There's no conspiracy going around it. It was just some PR stunt to make people talk about the game more. :shrug:

So I dunno. Is he really just that open minded or is this an oversight / bug?
AFAIK the game only checks V's body type (male of female) and voice type (masculine or feminine) for the purposes of determining V's gender (and thus is he/she an appropriate romatic interest for the specific NPC in question).

Top Bottom