Start over witcher series (book+game+comic), trying to find gwent-worthy characters.

+
Start over witcher series (book+game+comic), trying to find gwent-worthy characters.

I have all the fan-translate books and 3 games and all the comics, So now I will start all over again and note down important characters, and with thought about what ability he/she should have if he appear in Gwent

---------- Updated at 10:11 PM ----------

First character I want to mention is actually from neither books, main game series and comics.

Vabjorn, anyone remember him? :)

This is the berserker guy in Battle Arena, I think it can be a good idea to salute our fallen arena by making the original character in the game a gwent card XD

---------- Updated at 10:21 PM ----------

I will start with book The Last Wish

The first important name is Velerad, the Wyzim castellan. He is loyal to his king but certainly his specialty is not for battle.

I think adding a fourth tile in the Gwent deck --- for example the court--- might be a good idea, and people who focus on governmenting can be put there.

He will have a low strength, of course, but we can give him special ability to collect tokens (like money/supply etc), and tokens can be used to do things like recruit neutral cards, strength army, or even trigger special abilities on other cards

---------- Updated at 10:29 PM ----------

Foltest, The temerian King

I don't like the way that in Northern realms we have 5-6 Foltest with different abilities. He is only the temeria King and other leader cards can be given to Visimir, Radovid, Henselt etc.

Strengthing engine tile like in original gwent is suitable for him, and I think it can be a good idea that He can also strength temeria cards as the faction leader.
(For example, you can use any cards and leader cards of Northern realm in your deck, but faction leaders, like Foltest to temeria, Visimir/Radovid to Redania, have bonus ability to strength his own faction cards

Geralt of Rivia, the white wolf
He has all kinds of abilities, so I think instead of trying to show all his abilities in different cards (like Geralt:Igni), he can simply appear as a hign strength card.

Also, I think there should be restrictions in summoning neutral cards like geralt, like spending tokens I mentioned above, to make sure player's deck is not full of strong neutral cards, hiding the special feature of different card deck

---------- Updated at 10:35 PM ----------

Olaf summons Vabjorn in skellige deck both 8 strength

Haven't try skellige deck yet (haven't even start blood and wine yet actually), but thanks for telling me :)

---------- Updated at 10:37 PM ----------

Vizimir of Novigrad, in sigi's word, is one of the best monarch in the witcher history, how can we ignore him XD

Sadly there isn't a lot record about how he is doing on battle, but he is the man fit for ruling.

How about give him the ability to have few extra cards in the begining of game?

---------- Updated at 10:40 PM ----------

Ostrict (the suspect who may cursed Adda the white, a magnate)

Segelin (Captain of Temeria Royal Guard)

These two are not that important, so maybe they can be cards without special ability

---------- Updated at 10:44 PM ----------

Adda the White, in the book after the curse is removed her hair turned white, but in the game she is still red hair, that part always annoyed me :(

Hard to think about a ability for childish princess ... but maybe turning into a strigga ? XD

This is basically all for the first story in The Last Wish. I will keep posting if people/RED found this interesting or useful ~

Geralt of Rivia, the white wolf
He has all kinds of abilities, so I think instead of trying to show all his abilities in different cards (like Geralt:Igni), he can simply appear as a hign strength card.

Also, I think there should be restrictions in summoning neutral cards like geralt, like spending tokens I mentioned above, to make sure player's deck is not full of strong neutral cards, hiding the special feature of different card deck

---------- Updated at 10:35 PM ----------

Haven't try skellige deck yet (haven't even start blood and wine yet actually), but thanks for telling me :)

---------- Updated at 10:37 PM ----------

Vizimir of Novigrad, in sigi's word, is one of the best monarch in the witcher history, how can we ignore him XD

Sadly there isn't a lot record about how he is doing on battle, but he is the man fit for ruling.

How about give him the ability to have few extra cards in the begining of game?

---------- Updated at 10:40 PM ----------

Ostrict (the suspect who may cursed Adda the white, a magnate)

Segelin (Captain of Temeria Royal Guard)

These two are not that important, so maybe they can be cards without special ability

---------- Updated at 10:44 PM ----------

Adda the White, in the book after the curse is removed her hair turned white, but in the game she is still red hair, that part always annoyed me :(

Hard to think about a ability for childish princess ... but maybe turning into a strigga ? XD

This is basically all for the first story in The Last Wish. I will keep posting if people/RED found this interesting or useful ~
no I'm talking about the new game ,, in W3:B&W Olaf works differently and Vadbjorn doesn't exist

Villentretenmerth (Borch) is already in the game, but I would definitely add Tea and Vea - Zerrikanian warriors. They didn't say too much, but were loyal and liked Geralt. There's a lot of story which includes them in "The Sword of Destiny" book.

A character I think about a lot when I think of the books is Leo Bonhart. So if I can suggest any character from any time in the Witcher world I'd pick him. I generally thought that if the story had him facing Geralt, Leo would kill him.

Bonhart -The Witcher Slayer, close combat hero. Shame theres no Nilfgaard faction (yet?) as I guess thats the best fit.
Same points as Geralt and Ciri.

Oh and Angouleme as a brand new card and bring back the other felllowship cards Regis/Cahir and Milva.

Last edited:
A character I think about a lot when I think of the books is Leo Bonhart. So if I can suggest any character from any time in the Witcher world I'd pick him. I generally thought that if the story had him facing Geralt, Leo would kill him.

Bonhart -The Witcher Slayer, close combat hero. Shame theres no Nilfgaard faction (yet?) as I guess thats the best fit.
Same points as Geralt and Ciri.

Oh and Angouleme as a brand new card and bring back the other felllowship cards Regis/Cahir and Milva.
Geralt who defeats the wild hunt and Gaunter gets killed by a typical cutthroat ,, nice one

looks like my post got some attention XD

Nenneke, priestess of Melitele, a very good healer, her skill can be quite useful in Gwent

Lola, strange girl with strange ability, what happened to her is still a ? to me. She might not be that Gwent-worthy though.

Yennefer and Dandilion's names are mentioned here, though I doubt I need to introduce them...

---------- Updated at 02:05 AM ----------

Now, A Grain of Truth

Roach! I would love to see her card XDDDD

Rock dragon, though dragons (except the golden one) do not leave names in books and games, they are quite powerful, worth mentioning at least

Nivellen,nickname Degen or Ganger, the cursed one who fell in love with bruxa. his power is only limited in the house, and his combat ability was never showed.

This is just thinking aloud, I added them under each other as points:

The old good company:
Cahir (can be tied to Nilfgard but since he always denied it, he can be neutral??)
Milva (a very wild and strong archer - equals an elf's ability and at a point in the story she bought a better weapon so she's strong and developing)
Regis (two forms and very strong, he shouldn't be affected by sunlight or any weather effect) Bat form, human form, and maybe add a spying ability as in his mist form? idk just thinking loud. Or umm or focus on his healing side, he's a surgeon after all. And very diplomatic, talks his way out of trouble, maybe make use of this ability in a way.
Angouleme (had a weapon and a dagger, but not strong enough. Might have something to do with acquiring money or something like that?)

Other characters,
vilgefortz has to be there, so I'd hate my life each time he wins over me. He has to be the strongest mage. And has abilities even against monsters and high vampires (ahem melting them) and very tactical.
Leo Bonhart, has to be strong in a way he's no ordinary bandit. Maybe summon lesser bandits? Oh and make Bonhart's weakness Frost lol
Iola has this very strong intuition ability, maybe use her as some kind of spy? or anything that would unfold something strong about the opposing enemy. (their best card maybe?)
Nenneke has to be the strongest healer, she is no ordinary. And might have an ability to summon other (less) Ellandar healers and pupils.
Idk just a thought why not utilize Philippa's owl form? as an advance, later stage ability, maybe as a spy and in a way this form is affected by weather. Although she walked in a cursed and magical sky (in witcher 2).
Tea and Vea, maybe as summoned by Borch's human form.
Yennefer's spy ability her Raven/Kestrel?
If we have more than one sorceress card, they get buffed up a little (you know Lodge of Sorceresses bonus).
Galahad? I thought of something but it didn't go with his story in the books so um not sure.
Nimu and her (dreamer) friend as together they're strong not in combat but maybe in telling something about the opposing enemy.

There are other characters that are cool but idk if they would make good cards. I was thinking of the two detectives in the middle of the books who dug up the info about Ciri? Forgot their names but they were written in a good way that's why I remember their situation. I think one was short as a dwarf/or a dwarf, maybe use them as very strong spies. They were good.

Just throwing this out there, I'm not with or against, but let's see Vampires as a race. They're quite a lot and have different forms and special abilities. It's also a nod to the beautiful twisted lore of the Witcher, not the classical vampire lore as just undead creatures. So, have the Unseen Elder as the leader and his ability to force/summon other vampires (from the graveyard, if they die I mean..Ah the irony!) back in game..maybe play straight from the graveyard lol, no this fact makes them absurd if not used right or limited. Okay we've higher vampires, Regis and Detlaff -hero cards?- and Hubert -lesser but still not less like the other vamp monsters- and Lesser vampires. Maybe add Oriana, in two forms? Persuasive at the human form, brutal at monstrous side.Also Vereena, Bruxea, Alps. Other creatures like fleders, Gara kins, katakans, and the already existing vampire cards in the monsters deck. And we can have special weather cards affecting the lesser ones but not the higher. Maybe add a weather buff card to be crafted or whatever, full moon night to confuse armies -depuffs the others- and strengthens the vamp brethren. Maybe add a buff to a werewolf, if there is such a card. [edit: Yes there is Morkvarg] Total enemy of this deck, Vilgefortz with his white beam lmao!

Maybe add a Siren? or that mermaid character from Sword of Destiny, and she buffs with any water effect. Oh and maybe a character or two from the Ys world? Remembered that from a special card in the adventure game, and witcher 1. They're mentioned in the books, too. [edit Oh wow they actually added Dagon as a leader! wow I hated him in witcher 1, man that's awesome!]

Maybe the Lady of the Lake, special abilities, healing as a hermit and a strong card (she always had good weapons). Oh she's similar to the Lady of the Vally of the Flowers or something like that in the "The Edge of the World" story. Btw add Torque.
Adda with less power but if we had a buff ability for her, it would be Ostrit lol. She transforms into her Striga form, if we use him. (if it wasn't explained it would be confusing, because it ties to her story and who cursed who..)

That's all I remember for now. It's really amusing to think of the characters in this way.

[edit: There is an existing Alchemist common card, why not name him Kalkstein? we've our own annoying alchemist.]

Last edited:
The lionheaded spider church.... well that's amysterious cult, maybe can be added as DLC or something? XDD

Vereena, the bruxa with some intelligence, and quite strong, though I don't believe she is a high level vampire, but she is not bad for a Gwent card

---------- Updated at 04:16 AM ----------

And also Geralt mentioned ordinary vampire cannot come out under the sun... so maybe clear sky card can do some harms to the lower vampires?

---------- Updated at 04:35 AM ----------

Falwick, count of Moen

Taillies of Dorndal, a young knight

Both are members of Order of White Rose, So maybe they became part of Flamming Rose too?

Duke Hereward, never appeared, but sounds quite important in Temeria, one of the member of Royal Council

His Wife Ermellia, not important at all though

Geralt who defeats the wild hunt and Gaunter gets killed by a typical cutthroat ,, nice one

He struck me as a bit more than your typical cutthroat and IMO he would be a Gwent worthy card.
Although we never found out if he really did kill those three Witchers himself, the more we saw of him doing what he does the more I began to think this evil f**k might just stand a chance against Geralt! (especially with Vilgefortz on his side)

I've not played the original W1 but the wiki says he is mentioned in the game, and unless it was a sarcastic quote that I'm taking out of context, it's high praise.
'"Old Leo" was a witcher slayer and is known as a legend, witchers and mages were no match for him'

This is just thinking aloud,.... ]

I thought the same thing about the Bonhart card mustering a small crew. Although I think he probably should just be strong in points and nothing else but definetly weak against frost.
I like all your idea's for the original company and the Nenneke card too. Perhaps Nenneke could return to your hand for the next round, or like you said call a "sister" for an additional medic maybe in the next round if you lose the current round.

Nenneke, priestess of Melitele, a very good healer, her skill can be quite useful in Gwent
More Nenneke love! There should be a penalty for having Nenneke and Dandelion on the same battlefield as they just argue with each other lol.

Last edited:
He struck me as a bit more than your typical cutthroat and IMO he would be a Gwent worthy card.
Although we never found out if he really did kill those three Witchers himself, the more we saw of him doing what he does the more I began to think this evil f**k might just stand a chance against Geralt! (especially with Vilgefortz on his side)

I've not played the original W1 but the wiki says he is mentioned in the game, and unless it was a sarcastic quote that I'm taking out of context, it's high praise.
'"Old Leo" was a witcher slayer and is known as a legend, witchers and mages were no match for him'

I thought the same thing about the Bonhart card mustering a small crew. Although I think he probably should just be strong in points and nothing else but definetly weak against frost.
I like all your idea's for the original company and the Nenneke card too. Perhaps Nenneke could return to your hand for the next round, or like you said call a "sister" for an additional medic maybe in the next round if you lose the current round.

More Nenneke love! There should be a penalty for having Nenneke and Dandelion on the same battlefield as they just argue with each other lol.
it's not about him deserving a card ,, it's about claiming he would stand a chance against Geralt ,, I mean what did this guy do ,, having witcher medals means nothing,, many bandits have managed to kill witchers before and even peasants but that doesn't mean they can take on them head on

Yes, Leo has to be better than any other bandit card! And Yes Frost and enviromental situations should weaken him (in the story they actually did, to the degree of his death so). Leo was almost always challenging Ciri to fight in an arena, and showed his cold and powerful side on stable places like what he did to the Rats. So, I guess Clear Skies is to his benefit.

I liked the idea of Nenneke calling a sister in the next round, it makes her 'not too powerful on her own' but still no ordinary healer.

Are we ever going to see more factions? Toussiant? I'd like it better if it was maybe tied to Nilfgard. Ana and the brave knights, shealmar and Golyat and so on. And our Black Sun group, Syana and Renfri, could muster bandits, and they've this disloyal sub-type.

Maybe a few neutral special cards from Offier, Nazair..it would be cool to look at different parts of the Witcher world. And we've the Ofieri mage and his companions from Hearts of Stone. They could be effected by weather, not clear skies since I guess this is the typical weather in Offier.

Imagine if we played Dandelion and he would (do the obvious inspire and buffs the other cards )and debuffs Nennneke lol. It makes for an interesting story but perhaps they want to make the game presentable to new players, they would not catch why is that. Maybe explain it? Like I said, if we use Ada and later use Ostrit, she buffs to be a Striga lol...add a Geralt -the exorcisit card- ...she debuffs to Ada again. (No the last bit is a joke haha) Like if we use Vilgefrotz and he scorches the hell out of Milva, Anguelem, Cahir and melts Regis... This would be a cruel joke. I might just leave the game at that point, can't take it.

The Witcher Card Game have really big potential to bring more very interesting characters and I really hope CD Projekt Red will bring them to the game.
The Witcher stories, Saga and of course the last book "Season of Storms"
I really, really would like to see new cards in the future from whole universe of The Witcher books.

Vilgefortz - villain in the Saga (really important character that should have card)
Striga - The Witcher stories
Lytta Neyd - Season of Storms
Bue and Bang - Season of Storms
Ortolan - Season of Storms
Sorel - Season of Storms

and plenty others from novel Season of Storms, CD Projekt Red knows them all, so there is no point mention all of them.
Bring some of them, please :)

I wonder that no one mention Rience before. He is quite important I think.
Also I'd like to see the young bandits Ciri joined at her time in the south (rats? rat pack? sorry I don't know the English name for their gang).

The Condotierre mercenaries from the books would fit well in Gwent:
Adam Pangratt
Julia Abatemarco
Lorenzo Molla
White Rayla (or was it Black Rayla? one is in the books and the other is in Witcher 1...)

Speaking of Witcher 1:
Azar Javed
The Professor
Salamandra bandits
Salamandra mutants

Top Bottom