SUGGESTION - Optional Deck Selection

+
Yes, I think the OP suggestion is great! Especially since there are strategies that work well with one faction and don't with other factions. And some factions do have significantly more disadvantages regarding deck building than others. A monster weather deck for example doesn't need to be as flexible as other decks because weather usually works against all other factions.

With this suggestion fix strategy concept is going to be end or you going to see it very rarely as its possible that opp. will choose counter deck many players going to use different cards to surprise opp. & matches are going to be unpredictable, win/loss is going to depends on tactics you use.

devivre;n6995750 said:
Yes, I think the OP suggestion is great! Especially since there are strategies that work well with one faction and don't with other factions. And some factions do have significantly more disadvantages regarding deck building than others. A monster weather deck for example doesn't need to be as flexible as other decks because weather usually works against all other factions.

Exactly... so its possible for us to choose counter deck against monster for weather but its not going to be same all time as once monster players going to know that opp. have chance to choose counter deck they also going to start playing new strategies. Same goes with other factions, once everyone understand that byhearted strategies are not going to work anymore we going to see more variety in decks.

Good idea,
but I think for CDPR it would be even harder to balance the game.

And it is not fair for beginners. Maybe do another mod for this option and name it sth like Multiple-Deck-Choice. But only open this mod for players with level 25 or higher.

devivre;n6996090 said:
Actually I think it would make balancing easier.

I am not sure but I think he is more concern about bugs & all as may be implementing this system is may be complex.

If talking about game balance then I think its not going to change anything as it just adding more decks of same faction which going to include cards form that faction only so overall its the same thing with more decks to choose.

Last edited:
I like your suggestion, but it would only shift the decks slightly, it wouldn't change the current problem of predictability.

After your suggestion is introduced it wont take long to find out what's the optimal strategy for each faction vs faction match up. After that we would begin to see the same constant few decks just like now, but they would certainly be different from what we have currently. So while it would definitely shake up the decks it wouldn't get rid of the problem of facing same type of decks all the time.

The root of the problem is very limited card pool. We've only got ~200 or so cards to work with, there's only so much we can experiment and play around with them, and it's easy to fall into a meta of very few top decks that are hard to upset.

I agree that we have limited cards now but think when in future more cards are going to introduced by cdpr what then? In current situation players going ot use same decks & strategies but if we have more choices for deck & as we know more counter cards are coming so it's going to be challenging with deck selection.

2 more things i found that many players are just quits right now may for gg bonus or may be they knows that their deck is not good enough against opp. deck specially I found NR/Sco. decks are quits against Monster as they have no weather immune cards.

& Another thing is many times we are getting same last opp. so we are already knows what cards he is having & what strategy he is going to use which is another flaw but may be this is going to be solve with matchmaking system but with more deck selection even we get the same player as a opp. it's possible for us to play with different deck.

[Suggestion] Select deck (inside chosen faction) Before match.

Chosen Deck may be great versus one faction and terrible against another. So I suggest following. At the start of the match player chooses only faction. After, when opponents faction is known give player the opportunity to select deck which only belongs to the earlier chosen faction.

There is the small chance this would break the balance. But maybe you'll give it a thought.

NoDD00;n7372370 said:
Chosen Deck may be great versus one faction and terrible against another. So I suggest following. At the start of the match player chooses only faction. After, when opponents faction is known give player the opportunity to select deck which only belongs to the earlier chosen faction.

There is the small chance this would break the balance. But maybe you'll give it a thought.

But remember that your opponent is a real person and not AI. For example:
A: Oh he plays monsters, so I go Scoia'tael
B: Oh he goes Scoia so I go NR
A: Oh he goes NR so I go Skellige
B: Oh he goes Skellige so I go Monsters
and repeat.

KasumiGoto;n7372430 said:
But remember that your opponent is a real person and not AI. For example: A: Oh he plays monsters, so I go Scoia'tael B: Oh he goes Scoia so I go NR A: Oh he goes NR so I go Skellige B: Oh he goes Skellige so I go Monsters and repeat.

That's not what I meant. I mean To choose deck inside the faction that you already choose at the start. If you play for example northern realms you could select only northern realm deck

For example: I have Two northern realms realms Deck. One works great against monsters other against skelige (also i have multiple other faction decks). At the start I select faction, in current case northern realms. Then When I know that my opponent plays skelige i will have the option to choose from 2 available northern realms deck. and i will choose that one which works great against skelige.

P.S sorry for my English. It's hard for me to explain it simpler.

Last edited:
I am thinking this *might* be unbalancing. However, maybe add it to when you are in a Ranked match - and maybe then only top X ranks? That way, those that are shooting for elite/high rank can really earn it.

NoDD00;n7372450 said:
That's not what I meant. I mean To choose deck inside the faction that you already choose at the start. If you play for example northern realms you could select only northern realm deck

For example: I have Two northern realms realms Deck. One works great against monsters other against skelige (also i have multiple other faction decks). At the start I select faction, in current case northern realms. Then When I know that my opponent plays skelige i will have the option to choose from 2 available northern realms deck. and i will choose that one which works great against skelige.

P.S sorry for my English. It's hard for me to explain it simpler.

So if I understand correctly, you would like to sub divide you deck list into faction subdivisions, based on what your opponent has chosen?

so let's say for example you and your opponent both chose a faction, monsters and NR for example.
once you have both chosen your faction you get told that your opponent has chosen monsters, and visa versa.
at that point you can then choose a specific NR deck, and your opponent chooses their specific monsters deck, with the knowledge of what faction they are playing against.

that is what I understood by reading what you wrote.

that is not a terrible idea, however then you would have a situation where you keep decks purely as faction counters.
a deck that only works when playing against monsters or scoia for example, and doesn't stand up on a its own against the other factions.

right now you have to build and play a deck to beat any faction, and that (I think) is better.

Lim3zer0;n7375020 said:
however then you would have a situation where you keep decks purely as faction counters. a deck that only works when playing against monsters or scoia for example, and doesn't stand up on a its own against the other factions. right now you have to build and play a deck to beat any faction, and that (I think) is better.

And how you going to choose faction counter deck? as I know it's not like every faction is having only one strategy & as I said this many times that this is going to happen from both side & not only from your side. If you are going to choose deck by looking at opp. faction then your opp. is also going to choose his proper deck for your faction so it's not going to give benefit to one side only.

And as I said no faction is playing with same strategy so guessing opp. deck just by looking at opp. faction is not going to be that easy & with this suggestion we going to use more cards & going to be more creative with our decks as will with strategies imo.

Last edited:

Guest 3973540

I like this idea (allowing to select deck within faction after seeing opp's faction) very much. I wanted to write a post suggesting it, except I thought not just the factions but the leaders too should be known and not subject to change.
Probably in a separate game mode after release (so that there will be enough players to populate all modes - ranked, non-ranked, and the new one - "adapt mode" ).

Advantages:
1) It will force people to use several decks, not just one. The deck construction part of the game will be much more demanding and interesting.
2) The excitement will rise . Currently, when I select a deck for a game, I already know what strategy I will play, more or less. If I chose something based on buffs and see a Radovid opp, it is like only 20% chance of winning before the play even started. I can't really adapt, the deck is too small. With the new mode, one can adapt on the fly. Going into matchmaking with only the faction (or the leader) known, I am not limiting my choices and can count on an exciting game.
3) There can be bluffs, too. E.g. my Dagon deck is already quite unusual, and I have seen others play non-weather Dagons as well. The "adapt mode" will allow more bluffs at deck-construction stage of the game.
4) Do all factions allow several strategies? I would say so. I had hardly ever seen Skellige control before the latest patch, but with Corail and a few other improvements, I would say the last piece of the puzzle is in place.

Disadvantages:
1) The "adapt mode" is not for beginners. It gives even more advantage to experienced players with all-around solid decks. The solution is easy though: allow this mode from level 10.
2) Even for advanced players, differences in total card collection will be more pronounced. You can craft only a couple of synergetic epics/legendaries and have a very competitive deck based on a specific strategy. However, as soon as not 1 deck but effectively 3-4 decks are playing when you go into matchmaking, the collection has to be richer to stay competitive.

guys, this topic was created a month ago and people didn't like it (for very good reasons)

let's just move on...

PS: i love all the people trying to reinvent the wheel... is not like card games have had tournaments which allow people to switch decks or cards within a deck to counter the opponent...

Last edited:

Guest 3973540

RickMelethron;n7377350 said:
PS: i love all the people trying to reinvent the wheel... is not like card games have had tournaments which allow people to switch decks or cards within a deck to counter the opponent...
You think you know better how to make a good game? Card games which have real tournaments (like duplicate bridge) are much richer in terms of strategy and tactics. In gwent, too often you have the feeling of "having seen that before", both in terms of opp play and own play.

I don't like the idea of creating decks to counter a specific faction/deck. I like having a certain theme that works on its own. Let the best strategy win.

Best way create more diversity is to add more cards with different synergies and mechanics. There are only a hand full of strategies for each faction atm, but with more cards, hopefully new deck themes will emerge.

Like any other TCG, the meta will eventually form and the gameplay will become predictable, stale. That is when new sets are introduced to rejuvenate the game, and another source of income for the game, win-win. Or introduce different game modes, like a draft.

Top Bottom