Suggestions: Change the "I Own One Of Your Two Rows" cards

+

rrc

Forum veteran
Reinforced Trebuchet and Alba Spearman need to be changed. These cards would have been kind of OK if we have three rows. But with only two rows, permanently having a threat one of the two rows is too much. I am not saying they are OP. But it is annoying. So, basically, we will have to row stack (making us vulnerable for a Lacrete or Sabrina) to avoid a 5P bronze card. Especially with a lot of row locked units, going against these two factions put an immediate disadvantage. They are cheap, they get activated as soon as they are deployed and will continue even after the opponent passes.

Both of these cards should have 3 power and 5 provisions, so that they break even after 1 turn (and being somewhat easy to remove). At the very least, these units should be on Order with a cooldown of 1 so that it doesn't tick even after the enemy passes.

Both of these cards are perfectly fine the way they are. A card or mechanic being "annoying" is subjective and therefore a poor justification for nerfs/buffs.

The cards themselves are row-locked, so in addition to getting countered (something that buffs every turn)/locked/removed, they can also be moved to neutralise them. If you can't do any of those things then that's not the cards' fault.

(Yes, I have a Pikeman in my deck but he's been there far, far longer than the Nilfgaard update has been live. He went from a filler card to a really useful sort-of engine that often does get disabled one way or another.)

Last edited:
One straight modification would be to trigger the ability at beginning of turn.

Minimal change, right balance

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc

rrc

Forum veteran
Both of these cards are perfectly fine the way they are. A card or mechanic being "annoying" is subjective and therefore a poor justification for nerfs/buffs.

The cards themselves are row-locked, so in addition to getting countered (something that buffs every turn)/locked/removed, they can also be moved to neutralise them. If you can't do any of those things then that's not the cards' fault.

(Yes, I have a Pikeman in my deck but he's been there far, far longer than the Nilfgaard update has been live. He went from a filler card to a really useful sort-of engine that often does get disabled one way or another.)
I am not asking for big nerf and I didn't mean to say they are OP. They are not. They have plenty of counter - remove - lock - move. I play mainly ST so these cards don't pose a huge threat. But imagine playing against NR or NG, and you immediately want to row stack - on melee for NR - on ranged for NG. It is like there is a constant threat in 50% of your territory. And the worst thing is, if you have to play a unit in those rows, they will immediately be put on -1/preround. I would be fine if they break even on the next turn. It would be much fair it they are in order so that if the opponent passes it will stop functioning. It is like they are row locked Botchling. It is too much for a cheap bronze.

One straight modification would be to trigger the ability at beginning of turn.

Minimal change, right balance
This is nice subtle change. I like it.:ok:

Going from three to two rows in HC has unbalanced row effects. One row is usually in jeopardy because of cards like Reinforced Trebuchet and Alba Spearman, and on top of that movement cards can easily line up your units for an OP row damage effect. With three rows and random movement (Nivellen used to move units randomly to one of the other two rows) this was much better balanced as you could play around movement and row effects. Now you simply can't and the game is less fun and varied because of it.

Going from three to two rows in HC has unbalanced row effects. One row is usually in jeopardy because of cards like Reinforced Trebuchet and Alba Spearman, and on top of that movement cards can easily line up your units for an OP row damage effect. With three rows and random movement (Nivellen used to move units randomly to one of the other two rows) this was much better balanced as you could play around movement and row effects. Now you simply can't and the game is less fun and varied because of it.

I agree although to be fair as far as i remember back when there where 3 rows units such as trebuchet werent hitting only one row but a random unit on any row.

Top Bottom