System Shock 3!

+
Nerdgasm alert!

http://www.othersidetease.com/sss.php

OtherSide Entertainment, the development studio behind the upcoming fantasy RPG Underworld Ascendant, is excited to officially announce development on System Shock 3, the sequel to the landmark System Shock series.

Last week, OtherSide posted a teaser website (www.othersidetease.com ) with cryptic lettering hinting at a new game. Internet hackers quickly cracked the site, prematurely revealing the game’s title. As part of the fun, series’ AI antagonist SHODAN appeared to mock the hackers with new taunts each day.

On the updated teaser site today, fans can hear popular voice actress Terri Brosius (System Shock 1 & 2, Dishonored) reprise her role as the voice of SHODAN and see an early peek at the evolving ‘next generation’ look of the character by artist Robb Waters.

Key members of the original System Shock and System Shock 2 teams will be part of the sequel. This includes Paul Neurath, who oversaw the original series’ development; Nate Wells, a senior artist on System Shock 2; and Waters, the lead concept artist of both original games.

The path to bring the System Shock franchise forward was long and winding. Several years back, OtherSide secured the exclusive IP rights to all future versions of the franchise. Only recently, through partnership with Night Dive Studios, who owns the System Shock trademark, did OtherSide get the rights to use the System Shock name for the sequel.

System Shock 3 is currently in the early concept stages of development. Fans can register on the teaser site (www.othersidetease.com ) to receive updates as they become available. For more information on OtherSide Entertainment, please see these links:

Facebook: www.Facebook.com/OtherSideEntertainment
Twitter: Twitter.com/OtherSide_Games
YouTube: www.YouTube.com/channel/UCpa4L_96ElAgH1hit3aya9w
Twitch: www.Twitch.tv/otherside_entertainmen

i honestly never played the first two, but i hear nothing but praise ^^
maybe i should check them out one day ^^

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/169204/warren-spector-joining-otherside-for-system-shock-3

Not sure how I feel, the last good game that Warren Spector made was 16 years ago. Invisible War and Deadly Shadows were both underwhelming,mediocre sequels to amazing classics and the 2 epic mickey games he directed flopped so hard to cause the studio he was leading to close.

System Shock reboot opens for crowdfunding next week — here's your preview
Rewards, new art and even a demo

System Shock is still getting remastered, but don't call it System Shock Remastered anymore.

Just ahead of the game's Kickstarter campaign launch, developer Night Dive Studios told Polygon that the upcoming re-imagination of Looking Glass Technologies' 1994 game has a new name now: System Shock.

"We felt that the amount of passion and resources that we are putting into this game elevated it beyond the expectations that someone would have for a remaster," CEO Stephen Kick said. "This is a full-fledged reboot of a classic game into something new."

We've gotten glimpses of the reboot through early alpha footage and screenshots. When the crowdfunding campaign starts at 12 p.m. PT next Tuesday, June 28, nostalgic backers and the genuinely curious alike will have a chance to actually play System Shock themselves. A short demo of the Windows PC version will be made available to anyone through Steam, GOG and Humble the same day that the Kickstarter opens.

Polygon got an early look at that build, as well as the various rewards that will be offered just to those who back the crowdfunding project. Take a look at some screenshots above — we'll also have a full gameplay video up early next week.

We also got a preview of some of the campaign rewards. These include a collector's edition box with a physical copy of the game (launching on both Windows PC and Xbox One), a miniature and a manual, among other items; there's also a Razer-brand laptop with System Shock-centric detailing. There will be other rewards offered on a variety of tiers.

These and other rewards are still being revised ahead of the crowdfunding campaign's launch. The game is still a work in progress too, and players may note some unfinished parts of the user interface here and there.

For those looking for even more System Shock in advance of the demo and the full game's release — scheduled for sometime next year — take a look at some of the concept artwork by original artist Robb Waters below.

polygon.com/2016/6/24/12007602/system-shock-kickstarter-campaign-rewards-screens-demo

Hm, for some reason I thought that upcoming crowdfunding campaign was for SS3.
Well, looking forward to that playable vertical slice of the System Shock Remaster on Tuesday.

Last edited:

---------- Updated at 07:04 PM ----------

And. Here. We. Go:
kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock

System Shock remake goes to Kickstarter and has a free demo!

Play the Demo, then head to Kickstarter and support the re-imagined version of the seminal sci-fi thriller.

A little over two decades ago, a first person action/RPG dared to blend diverse gameplay elements with narrative-driven 3D exploration in a sci-fi horror setting. System Shock soon became a timeless classic, its haunting charm still resonating with thousands of people to this day. Now, Night Dive Studios wants to bring it back as a new, faithfully re-imagined game and you can help them fulfil that promise by supporting their Kickstarter campaign.

System Shock
is a complete remake of the genre-defining classic from 1994, rebuilt from the ground up with the Unity Engine and coming day one to GOG.com. The best part? You don't have to believe the enthusiastic rumours circulating around cyberspace, you can try out a Demo of this ambitious effort right now and see for yourself! "We want to demonstrate our commitment and passion for System Shock by providing a fun and exciting experience to potential backers", said Night Dive. "This demo represents the look and feel that we want to achieve with the final version we'll deliver to you, our backers. Please be aware, this is a proof of concept; the performance, features, and visuals are subject to change."

Grab the Demo and enter the derelict halls of Citadel Station crawling with the horrors unleashed by SHODAN, the maniacal A.I. with her own plans for the future of humanity. If this is a future you want to live in, make sure to head over to the System Shock Kickstarter page and help make it a reality.

Don't even try to resist her, SHE IS IN CONTROL.

gog.com/game/system_shock_demo

Last edited:
Unfortunately Linux support is only a stretch goal. So I'll back them when they'll put it into base goal, or at least when stretch goal will be reached.

Last edited:
Bleh, tried the demo and while it looks and feels pretty well done and faithful, bringing this game to modern ages through glowy graphics, high def rubbermonsters and fluidish FPS experience does kind of flatten the experience since unlike the original System Shock, this sort of reboot doesn't bring anything really new to the market that would separate it from the slew of other horror(ish) FPS games. It blends in too well and the hype relies too much on the series cult status and the promise of re-experiencing of the original. I've never found remakes to be particularly appealing in the first place.

I do wish the team well and hope they succeed by a good margin, but as for me... I'll wait a sale GOG.

I have a mixed feelings about reboot so far:

1. Stretch-goal with RPG elements: nope, just nope, it demands full rebalance of gameplay, and it'll become absolutely different game.
2. Orchestral soundtrack. There's just no place for it in SS, cyberpunk-ish techno it is

Other than that it looks good enough. But I think that in years after I still will be replaying original game :)

But pedged 50$ nonetheless, could go higher for all-digital rewards

Last edited:
I approached this as what it says on the tin - a proof of concept/very early pre alpha demo whose 'performance, content & graphics are subject to change', and as such it'd be pointless to go into details much, as far as I'm concerned.

Among the things they already got right would be the atmosphere, the darker tone (which I always felt got lost between all the too vibrant pixels of the original) and the pacing in general. I might be wrong but the pipe, for instance actually swings a whole lot slower than in the original. Feels like there's actual weight behind you also have to take into account when timing the swing to land a hit. Very satisfying.
Bit of a bummer that they apparently haven't decided how to go about this iteration's Hacking yet, I'd hoped at one point in the demo you could fuck around in Cyberspace a little too.

In regards to adding to and expanding the game's scope beyond what the original was about and comprised of - well, that's what a remake or a re-imagination usually comes with, doesn't it? More often than not it's completely unnecessary BS (to make it more 'accessible' or how Nightdive so worryingly put it, to 'bring it to contemporary gamers') in most cases but in very few instances these additions or changes actually make sense and you come away with something like 'The Thing' (1982) or 'Cape Fear' (1991) instead. Time will tell if System Shock (2017) can accomplish the same in the aRPG genre.
And if it doesn't - well, there's still the original resp. the Enhanced Edition to fall back on.

Last edited:
Update #8

Linux Demo and Achievements Update

Hi everyone! Jason here again. I have some cool news to share, but before I get into that, I wanted to give folks a preview of some things coming next week:

• PayPal donations are getting set up and should come online early next week.
  • We’re going to get more active on Twitch in the upcoming weeks for some neato dev streams.
  • Another patch is being worked on for the pre-alpha demo which should help performance and crash issues
And now onto the meat of this update!

Linux Demo

Due to popular demand, we’ve put some time into getting the Linux version of the pre-alpha demo ready for all of you (well, the Linux users out there). We’re doing this before we hit the stretch goal for Linux as a gesture of good faith, but please understand that the Linux demo does not guarantee a Linux version of the final game unless we hit the stretch goal. It took quite a bit of time to get it all working on Linux, as well as a bit of internal testing. Launching on other platforms takes time to adequately support and deploy, which is why the stretch goal is vital.

You can download the Linux demo via Steam, but you’ll need to install the audio library separately as per these instructions from Audio Kinetic's site.

Note: The Wwise Unity Integration for Linux needs libSDL2 installed on the machine to work. Without this, a "DLLNotFoundException" message is displayed when launching the game. To install libSDL2 for Ubuntu 12.04, do the following:

Note: The requirements may vary depending on the machine's configuration. Refer to libsdl.org for installation instructions on other setups.

[...]
kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/1629008

No idea, just making sure I guess.
Slowly but steadily closing in on the Mac + Linux versions stretch goal too, by the way.

Night Dive Studios' CEO and founder Stephen Kick drops in to talk about game preservation, abandonware, and System Shock. NOTE: The next episode, due in a few days, will focus on the mega-awesome System Shock remake. This one is about Kick's background and his company's mission.

Playing the System Shock demo (Linux version). It's one of the nicest graphics that I saw in a Unity game. Well done.

So far I'm stuck in the lab. Feels like the old school shooter with obscure ways to progress (I never played the original System Shock games).

---------- Post merged on 20-07-2016 at 03:08 AM ----------

just got to that Saturn view room. That was beautiful.

Update #14

1.1m Stretch Goal Met and RPG Stuff

1.1m Goal Reached!

Looks like the 1.1m stretch goal has been reached and we'll be supporting Linux and Mac versions of the game! Thank you all so much for making that possible! :-D We're working on bringing the demo onto OSX, but no concrete release date for it just yet. We’re hoping to having it some time next week if all goes well.

1.4m Goal Changes

We've altered the 1.4m stretch goal to something a bit more manageable from a game development standpoint. Before, it was vague and misleading regarding “RPG Elements”. That lead to a bit of confusion and unease with our backers, and to be perfectly honest, deep system features like that are pretty dangerous as stretch goals. We have an awesome vision for the game and setting a bunch of features we deeply believe in to a stretch goal stifles our own creativity since we can't fully plan for things.

Now, the 1.4m stretch goal is something much safer for us to scale if we don’t make the goal. It’s to add content in the form of more maps such as Groves, floors of Citadel Station, and Cyberspace content. This will make it better for us to properly execute on our core vision of the game, while still being able to offer some more awesome content if we hit the stretch goal.

So the RPG Stuff...

As I mentioned before, we have a pretty good vision of where we want to take things and what RPG systems we’ll be leaning towards within our budget. Also, RPG systems can imply a lot of things, so I'll go over some core concepts that we're following with the overall systems design.

• Stats are boring - Instead of letting the player feel stronger with stat boosts and level identification, we’re more in favor of ability and skill depth. As the player progresses, they will get more abilities/weapons, which will take skill to master (player skill, not skill points)
  • Things should make sense - We want to have vending machines, but they're mainly for food/drinks that the player can get to help heal themselves or provide a slight boost to their abilities. You won't hack a vending machine to get a gun, since why would a vending machine on a space station have a gun?
  • Upgrades are good in moderation - Throughout the game, the player will find upgrades to their abilities and find better weapons. We're not going to get crazy with this one since the point of the game is to have fun, and not noodle around in your inventory. If something is tedious, don't expect us to do it.
  • Multiple ways to solve a problem - We're going to assume our players are smart and want to find creative solutions to problems/enemies. We'll provide the tools/weapons/abilities, and the player will decide how they want to solve the problem given their playstyle.
I know that isn't very detailed, but it's still early in the game’s development, and things can change. Those rules above are what we're confident in delivering. At the end of the day, we always ask ourselves “What would Looking Glass do?” and strive to carry on their tradition of innovation and quality while being as faithful as we can be to the original game.

- Jason
kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/1636121

Top Bottom