Taskbar does not disappear in fullscreen mode

+
Taskbar does not disappear in fullscreen mode

The problem is very simple: whenever I run The Witcher 2 the taskbar stays on top and does not go away. Autohiding works to some extent, but there are still some weird lines at the bottom of the screen.

Everything has been updated. The Witcher 2 is at version 3.2. My graphics card drivers are up to date. I played the game about a year ago with the same machine and then it worked perfectly. The only thing that has changed is a clean install of Windows.

My specs:

A64X2 5400+
4GB DDR2-800 RAM
MSI R5770 1GB graphics card
250GB HDD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Common Windows problem; it has various causes, including having set screen fonts to 150% size. This is a Windows bug, not the game. It plagues Firefox, Flash, and other applications as well.

First try setting your screen fonts to 100% or 125% size; it's in the Display control panel. I always use 125% and have never seen this.

That's the most common cause. Another is that you may have a tool in the Taskbar that insists on keeping it visible. At this point, is there anything other than the usual tools that come with Windows in your taskbar?

Nope, except for a few gadgets (sticky notes and weather). I turned them off and it didn't help either.

Uhmm did you disable the Taskbar always on top option in the windows taskbar settings menu?
If not right click your taskbar got to properties and look for the check box that says taskbar always on top and uncheck it i doubt you somehow missed that but its possible I guess...

imconfsdru said:
Uhmm did you disable the Taskbar always on top option in the windows taskbar settings menu?
If not right click your taskbar got to properties and look for the check box that says taskbar always on top and uncheck it i doubt you somehow missed that but its possible I guess...

Looked for it long and hard, and it came out that Windows 7 does not have that option.

Indeed. That option existed in Windows XP but was taken away. At this point, I'm st a loss for why your taskbar does this. None of mine do. But it's a common complaint with Windows 7, particularly when using Flash in full-screen.

all these: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/31779/fixing-when-the-windows-taskbar-refuses-to-auto-hide-correctly/ ?

or
Open Task Manager and Regedit.
In Task Manager kill explorer.exe
In Regedit, navigate to:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Desktop]

delete the value named 'Toolbars'.

In Task Manager, select 'File' -> 'New Task' -> type 'explorer' to restart
the shell. If that doesn't do the trick, repeat deleting 'TaskbarWinXP' as well.

Tried those things and it didn't help, but it doesn't matter. It's not like it's the end of the world when I have a thin strip at the bottom of my screen when I'm playing. Still, thank you all for your suggestions; 3rd playthrough of TW2, here I come! :D

Edit: I've fixed this for me. After placing the Taskbar to another position i noticed that the game run in windowed mode, althought I checked fullscreen. So I edited the user.ini (documents/wither 2/config/user.ini) and set fullscreen=1.

Anyways still have big the performance issue - but that's another topic.
---

Hi there,

I've the same issue. I installed the game today, because I read about the EE (last time I played it one year ago).
Installed the Game at first on my Desktop-PC and after that on my Notebook, and it downloaded automatically the EE, 3.1 and 3.2. There were no install / download errors.

My Desktop-PC:
Windows 7 Home Prem. 64 bit
Intel i5-2300
Nvidia Geforce GT 440
1920x1080
6 GB Ram

My Notebook:
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P8600
Nvidia Geforce 9800M GTS
1920x1200
4 GB Ram

OS and Drivers are up-to-date.

I played on this Systems already when I bought the game. I could play it without any problems on my Desktop-PC with high graphics, and with low graphics on my notebook.

Now I have the Taskbar visible, it seemes like the game is always running in the background and not foreground, altought and tried to set the process to high prioroty and foreground.

Also even on my Desktop-PC with low settings, all textures are loading very slow / too late, low FPS (loop effect, but vsync disabled!) and hight input lag.

Don't know what to do, I can play other games (on my desktop-pc) like Skyrim, BF3, GW2 Beta without any problems and good graphic settings.

I didn't change any hardware since I played The Witcher 2 last year. Just reinstalled (clean install) the OS,two times on notebook, testing Win8 customer preview and one time on the desktop pc just for cleaning it up.

Tried to scale the font size and editing the registry entry etc.
Nothing helped.
I also don't have this taskbar problem with firefox or other flash applications and never had it before.

Any ideas or solutions?
Can't play the game like this :(

PS: When I'll have some time after my exams I'll try to restore my Desktop-PC to the date I bought it (with all the old drivers etc.) and test it. - have got a complete Backup

Sorry for my bad english, I hope everything is understandable.

I know it's an old topic, but it's one of the first that pops up if you Google this problem, so I figured I'd share the solution that helped me.

There is a small program that let's you play all sorts of games in a fullscreen borderless window. There's a topic of it here on the Steam Forums. It works for me for Witcher 2 and it works for many other games which wouldn't otherwise allow me to play with a fullscreen borderless window.

beyond1 said:
OK, thanks for the reply. Is there a fix for that?

What you describe is precisely what happens in my Win8Pro x64 system--when I'm playing in a window the same size as my full screen resolution setting. Make sure in the W2 prefs ("options" on the launcher) that "Full screen" is is set to "enabled"--otherwise you boot into windowed mode in the game.

You can also edit the config file directly, @my documents\Witcher 2\config\user.ini

Top Bottom