The General Videogame Thread

+
The symbols just look vaguely like anarchist symbols, and seem to love messing places up for no reason. :p

Anarchy is often misrepresented as chaos and unnecessary or nonsensical violence. Those are normally just trouble makers without an agenda. Anarchy is the negation of rulers and the proposal of non-hierarchical societies balancing freedom and equality. I suppose a video game reference would be the joinable factions in Planescape: Torment. "The Revolutionary League" (or the anarchists) believe all other factions are greedy liars. The "Xaositects" (Chaosmen) are crazy and, well, chaotic.

Anarchy is often misrepresented as chaos and unnecessary or nonsensical violence. Those are normally just trouble makers without an agenda. Anarchy is the negation of rulers and the proposal of non-hierarchical societies balancing freedom and equality. I suppose a video game reference would be the joinable factions in Planescape: Torment. "The Revolutionary League" (or the anarchists) believe all other factions are greedy liars. The "Xaositects" (Chaosmen) are crazy and, well, chaotic.

OK, OK enough of the philosophy. :p

Here's something fun. A list of all the features the No Man's Sky developers promised and didn't deliver on.
https://np.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTh...res_the_nms_we_were_sold_on_heres_a_big_list/

Oh - And in case anyone isn't caught up on all this drama (and wants a little bit of entertainment), here's a video about the No Man's Sky drama from none other than Jim "Fucking" Sterling himself. No Man's Sky was hyped into oblivion and currently sits at a 71/100 on metacritic. In other words... it didn't live up to peoples' expectations.

Someone pointed out this game to me - Planet Nomads (it was crowdfunded): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2043603103/planet-nomads/description

Procedurally generated worlds, voxel graphics. Does it remind you anything?

[video=youtube;_UxJ-UCNdlI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=_UxJ-UCNdlI[/video]

No idea who took ideas from whom, at least this game plans a Linux version :)

---------- Updated at 09:53 PM ----------

https://www.planet-nomads.com/faq/

We are primarily making the game for Windows and Linux PCs and MACs. Additionally we plan to explore and add VR support later on (we have Oculus Dev Kit 2 available in our office and HTC VIVE). Once controller support is in, we’ll look into consoles after that. The availability of VR and console port depends on sales of the Early Access version on Steam, GOG and Humble Store.

Last edited:
Procedurally generated worlds, voxel graphics.

There was a time (I guess?) when military shooters and MMO's were new and exciting. I suppose in a couple of years "procedurally generated exploration" will be some kind of subgenre.

Edit: Actually after watching the video it kind of makes me think of Minecraft too (at least conceptually, I'm not familiar with the mechanics since I never played it).

Last edited:
Holee phuk.

Hard Reset vibes here.

Commentary:

[video]http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/08/18/shadow-warrior-2-interview-ign-live-gamescom-2016[/video]

It really sounds like they're going about this in the right way.

Last edited:
@volsung I was thinking about that recently. Honestly, I think space sims will be an over-saturated genre by the time Star Citizen's MMO portion comes out. That's not a slight against Star Citizen. There's actually quite a few Space Sims announced (mostly coming from indie studios). Most of these games have a first-person camera, space combat, let you land on planets, and boast some level of realistic physics. A lot of them use procedural generation as well. I wish I could post a list, but I can't remember them all. I know there are quite a few, however.

edit: Yeah... did a quick look on Steam and there are already several Space Sims made by indie studios with procedurally generated solar systems. Most of them are 3rd-person, however. NMS isn't really doing anything new in that regard.

---------- Updated at 08:42 PM ----------

Another interesting thing about these Space Sims is that all the ones that are out already (No Man's Sky, Elite: Dangerous, and Star Citizen) have received a fair amount of backlash for being feature incomplete. Star Citizen has not - but it has received backlash for how long it is taking to develop, which is sort of the same thing.

Last edited:
Anyone watched TotalBiscuit's (long) commentary on NMS?

He went into a lengthy side-track about incomplete games in these genres (Survival, Space), and how there wasn't really a complete one out there, which is one thing that's fuelling both demand and expectations. I thought it was pretty interesting.

(Not a rant video, more analytical)

When it comes to procedurally generated galaxies and so on, I was always smiling and remembering Space Engine (http://en.spaceengine.org/) whenever Sean Murray talked about "18 quintillion planets, all random". Yes, Space Engine doesn't have "game elements" and it's just about exploration. But what it does have is a universe (yes Mr. Murray, actually a universe, with millions of GALAXIES...). And it is made by a single person, without any kind of large budget. So yeah, I don't see NMS as a groundbreaking achievement in the technical aspect either, contrary to much of the game media. They just weren't interested about this technique of creating content and this genre to know about other games that did these things years ago, with much less budget and people.

Of course you'd have to be gullible to fall for Sean Molyneaux and his pitch. I recognized it in the first interview I saw. It doesn't excuse the bullshit marketing and lies.

@Phinnway and the rest,

I guess that's why I didn't get the No Man's Sky hype, since it doesn't seem specially ground breaking or anything. What I suppose will happen with procedurally generated, exploration (PGE) games is after a whole bunch come out essentially testing different elements, somebody will design an actual game with a mature interpretation of all of those elements which will become the measuring stick of PGE's. Something like what Baldur's Gate II did for cRPG's or Half-Life for FPS's.

Edit: And yes I just made up that acronym. Maybe it'll stick.

Last edited:
Top Bottom