The General Videogame Thread

+
Garrison72;n7486260 said:
This looks fucking incredible. It also looks way more adult and gritty than I've seen from any other Zelda game.
Never played Majora's Mask?

It looks dramatic, granted, but dramatic isn't automatically good. I don't think Ocarina would have been a better game if Saria had started sobbing and screaming into the night sky when Link left her. Ninty doesn't exactly excel at showing off believable human emotions outside of the subtle stuff present in their older titles, and that Nintendo doesn't appear to exist anymore.

Phinnway;n7488100 said:
edit: Yeah... that clip of Zelda bathing @2:27 definitely gave me some "adult" vibes too...:rolleyes:
SHE STARTED IT

227;n7488240 said:
Never played Majora's Mask?
It's been a while, but I don't recall that one being especially gritty. . . giddy, perhaps -- and definitely weird.
It looks dramatic, granted, but dramatic isn't automatically good. I don't think Ocarina would have been a better game if Saria had started sobbing and screaming into the night sky when Link left her.
Dramatic indeed. . . . This one looks different, at any rate. (Now, if Saria had flung herself off one of the ledges in the Lost Woods, and returned to haunt Link as a ghost, that might have made for an interesting twist. . . and could have fit in rather well at the Forest Temple. But, probably he'd just have wound up with two obnoxious, high-pitched voices squawking reminders at him. Poor Link.)

Riven-Twain;n7488310 said:
It's been a while, but I don't recall that one being especially gritty. . . giddy, perhaps -- and definitely weird.
More adult than gritty, admittedly, but consider the basic premise: the moon is about to crash into the world and kill everyone, and many have resigned themselves to their fates. Almost everyone is tormented in a personal way by something on top of the impending moon-crushing. Link saves the world by borrowing the bodies of characters who die tragically and therefore receives none of the credit for it. He fails continually, and every time the moon crashes into things, everything is reset. Every time he goes back in time, everything magically sucks again for everyone. The game even starts with him getting his teeth kicked in by someone he (potentially) befriended in Ocarina, and at the end of the game, he hasn't even accomplished what he had set out to do in the very beginning. And Wind Waker establishes that the world he saved in Ocarina basically went to hell while he was gone.

I love Majora's Mask so much.

Riven-Twain;n7488310 said:
Dramatic indeed. . . . This one looks different, at any rate. (Now, if Saria had flung herself off one of the ledges in the Lost Woods, and returned to haunt Link as a ghost, that might have made for an interesting twist. . . and could have fit in rather well at the Forest Temple. But, probably he'd just have wound up with two obnoxious, high-pitched voices squawking reminders at him. Poor Link.)
Heh. It'd be even better if she possessed the ocarina Link gets from Zelda to get revenge for him discarding the one she gave him.

Those were weird days. I went back and played Landstalker on the Genesis/Mega Drive, and it had a likable fairy companion in Friday years before the Zelda franchises started using them. It wouldn't surprise me to find out they stole the idea from Landstalker. Certainly wouldn't be the first time for Miyamoto.

I just realized the only Zelda game I finished was the first one. Got a ways into Link to the Past on emulator and I bailed. At heart, I'm just more about killing shit than puzzles.

227;n7488360 said:
More adult than gritty, admittedly, but consider the basic premise: the moon is about to crash into the world and kill everyone, and many have resigned themselves to their fates. Almost everyone is tormented in a personal way by something on top of the impending moon-crushing. Link saves the world by borrowing the bodies of characters who die tragically and therefore receives none of the credit for it. He fails continually, and every time the moon crashes into things, everything is reset. Every time he goes back in time, everything magically sucks again for everyone. The game even starts with him getting his teeth kicked in by someone he (potentially) befriended in Ocarina, and at the end of the game, he hasn't even accomplished what he had set out to do in the very beginning. And Wind Waker establishes that the world he saved in Ocarina basically went to hell while he was gone.
I love Majora's Mask so much.
Quite true. I had forgotten some of those points. Admittedly, I enjoyed Ocarina of Time more, and played it more often than Majora's Mask. However, I always found Mask highly interesting, especially for its slightly demented Through-the-Looking-glass-like qualities, and, upon reflection, I suppose one might even say it was a bit nightmarish in places. Certainly a more mature game than Ocarina.
As I recall, it took me quite a while to actually finish it.
227;n7488360 said:
Heh. It'd be even better if she possessed the ocarina Link gets from Zelda to get revenge for him discarding the one she gave him.
Hah. That would have been rather entertaining indeed.

Riven-Twain Ocarina had it's mature moments as well. For example, when you travel 7 years into the future and Hyrule town has turned into a zombie town. However, I agree that Majora's Mask was the darker of the two games. In general, Ocarina and Majora's Mask had plenty of dark, mature moments without profanity, gore, or sex. And that is something I respect.

Last edited:
Garrison72;n7486260 said:
This looks fucking incredible. It also looks way more adult and gritty than I've seen from any other Zelda game.

I really hope that this doesn't get delayed any more than it already has :) I loved Ocarina Of Time and I'm really waiting this new game getting released. I still have lots of Zeldas left to play, but this new one is going to be my next.

Yeah after seeing that trailer I'm thinking about getting a Nintendo Switch and I normally wouldn't buy a console for just one game, but this one looks special.

Hmm... I need to check that Nintendo Switch thingy. Although I'm not sure if there is any more room for consoles in my apartment. I have quite a few already :D I even bought Wii U just to see if it's controller is better than Wii's. And yes, it was surprisingly good. WAY better than Wii's.

Doesn't the Switch have paid online? And they give you one free NES or SNES game a month with that, but only for that month and then you have to buy it if you want to keep playing? It's honestly amazing how many times they can force you to rebuy the same classic games from back when they were actually competent developers.

I mean, the new Zelda looks intriguing in how different it is, but watching some gameplay, the world seems empty (same problem FF15 ran up against and failed to solve; how strange that the series that were once the drivers of innovation are now me-too bandwagon hoppers). Wind Waker was also empty and tedious, but even it's practically bustling with stuff to do in comparison. And I find it hard to expect a thrilling story from the same people who looked at Fire Emblem Fates—a game as competent at creating genuine emotion as a wet rag arranged to vaguely approximate a frowny face—and thought it was not only passable, but strong enough to cut up into three games and countless DLC slices. Even the music, once a series selling point, seems to have gotten the ax in favor of an awkward quiet experience.

(Obligatory list of Nintendo cred: through the years I've owned a GB, GBC, GBA, DS, 2DS, Virtual Boy, NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, and Wii. Still have most of them despite feeling constantly depressed about the current state of the company and the fans too blindly love-goggled to point out how far they've fallen and demand better. Not here specifically, but one could be forgiven for thinking that Miiverse in particular seems to exist solely to throw around confetti and fellate the company, and the only critic I've ever seen not willing to give them a free pass is Yahtzee.)

Also, that Mario game's setting gives me some serious Sonic 06 vibes. It'll be interesting to see how that pans out.

^^ IMO, Nintendo never stopped being amazing developers. Their games are still top tier. It's their console design and marketing that went to the toilet.

I don't get why Nintendo can't focus on new IP...I mean I get why they don't, but it's a serious weakness imo. CDPR has done it in the space of two titles. Western devs are simply more prone to experimentation than Japanese devs.

Garrison72;n7496200 said:
I don't get why Nintendo can't focus on new IP...I mean I get why they don't, but it's a serious weakness imo. CDPR has done it in the space of two titles. Western devs are simply more prone to experimentation than Japanese devs.

I guess same reason many legacy publishers don't. Experimenting isn't their thing.

Garrison72;n7496200 said:
I don't get why Nintendo can't focus on new IP...I mean I get why they don't, but it's a serious weakness imo.
Well, they made Splatoon last year. That was a new IP. It was headed up by new lead designers, too. Last one before that was Pikmen (2001).

Really though--it should comes as no surprise that Nintendo can't focus on a new IP when they can't even seem to release their old IPs for current systems. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
[h=1]White Wolf partners with Focus Home Interactive for a video game adaptation of the World of Darkness Storyteller game, Werewolf: The Apocalypse.[/h]
White Wolf is pleased to announce its partnership with Paris-based video game publisher Focus Home Interactive for a licensed PC and console game set in the World of Darkness.

The partnership between Focus Home Interactive and White Wolf Publishing concerns the adaptation of a video game based on the acclaimed Werewolf: The Apocalypse. The game will be developed by the game development studio Cyanide (Styx: Master of Shadows, Blood Bowl, Call of Cthulhu…). In the game you will become a Garou, a rage-fuelled Werewolf warrior opposed to urban civilization and the destruction it brings. The Garou are born to fight the corruption of The Wyrm, a powerful supernatural force leading us towards an inevitable Apocalypse.

“The world is dying. When will you Rage? The core question of Werewolf: The Apocalypse is more relevant today than ever before and the cooperation with Focus and Cyanide will finally give gamers the opportunity to revel in the raw power and primal spirituality of the Garou. What is the price of saving the world with fang and claw? Find out for yourself as we explore the darkest corners of a dying planet.”, says Martin Ericsson, Lead Story Teller of White Wolf.

“We are pleased to partner with White Wolf to bring Werewolf: The Apocalypse to life in a video game for consoles and PC. We are excited to work on the World of Darkness universe, as this is formidable playground to tell the players a great story. We are also happy to partner with Cyanide Studio in this adventure – they are behind the original wish to adapt this universe, and we are faithful in their ability to create a game that will please both fans of World of Darkness and newcomers”, says Cédric Lagarrigue, President of Focus Home Interactive

“The World of Darkness universe has always attracted creatives with a strong passion for telling dark and immersive stories. So to work closely with the great talent at Focus Home and Cyanide exploring the Werewolves of this universe is an absolutely fantastic experience for us at White Wolf and we are more than excited to see this great IP realised in a video game”, says Tobias Sjögren, CEO of White Wolf.

More information about this adaptation will come at this year’s Focus Home Interactive event, “le What’s Next de Focus”, taking place in Paris on February 1st and 2nd.
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse

That's the wrong WoD setting/universe and the wrong developer there, Paradox.
Should be 'Vampire: The Masquerade' and 'Obsidian', respectively.

schinderhannes.999;n7535920 said:
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse

That's the wrong WoD setting/universe and the wrong developer there, Paradox.
Should be 'Vampire: The Masquerade' and 'Obsidian', respectively.

I agree that it should have been Vampire: The Masquerade. I'm not familiar with Werewolf: Apocalypse. But it doesn't mean it can't be interesting. We'll see. My only concern is another publisher - Focus Home Interactive. None of their recent games are sold DRM-free. That's sounds like a problem already. Plus the studio - Cyanide. None of their games are available for Linux...

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanide_(company)

Last edited:
Gilrond-i-Virdan;n7536240 said:
I agree that it should have been Vampire: The Masquerade. I'm not familiar with Werewolf: Apocalypse. But it doesn't mean it can't be interesting. We'll see. My only concern is another publisher - Focus Home Interactive. None of their recent games are sold DRM-free. That's sounds like a problem already. Plus the studio - Cyanide. None of their games are available for Linux...

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanide_(company)
Not necessarily a problem if White Wolf/Paradox still retain the last say in this.
Linux support is unlikely unfortunately but I could see them pushing at least for a DRM-free release on gog.com. Especially considering the very well-received release of V:TM-B last year, which probably didn't go unnoticed at White Wolf/Paradox HQ as well.

schinderhannes.999;n7541090 said:
Linux support is unlikely unfortunately

Seems that Cyanide are often using Unreal Engine for their games, so I don't see a reason for them not to release the game for Linux when the engine supports it already. Paradox in general are supportive of Linux releases, so they can as well assist Cyanide in doing it.

See their recent games:
* http://focus-home.com/games/styx-shards-of-darkness
* http://www.focus-home.com/en/news/10...ion-and-images

Both use UE4.

Last edited:
Top Bottom