The power of the Underrated Dol Blathanna Trapper!

+
The power of the Underrated Dol Blathanna Trapper!

I have NEVER seen anyone else use these!!!!!
She should be in EVERY Scoia'tael deck! Use 1 to 3 nomatter what deck you use

WHY?!:

She destroys Northern Realms Radovid decks:
They will start with Reaver Hunter -> Temerian Foot Soldier ( 95% of the time )
Play her when the 3rd Reaver Hunter is about to spawn for -4x6-4 ( 20 ) strength!

She destroy Northern Realms Henselt Decks:
Same as Radovid decks, but even more powerfull as they NEED multiple units in one row to win.
Play her before 3rd Reaver Hunter spawns or after he plays 2 Radanian Elites

She destroys Monster Absorb decks:
Play her after enemy played a Nekker, this way when he play Nekker Warrior the Nekker will die and there won't be any extra copies in his deck.

She destroys Scoia'tael Dwarf Decks:
Mahakem Defenders are the core unit of this deck and they have 4 health. They also use Elven Mercenary and Mahakem Guard on front row, both have 4 health as well.
Play her after each Mahakem Defender unless they got buffed to 5 then wait till there are atleast 2-3 units on the row

She destroys Skellige Queen Revive Decks:
Revival units have either 2 or 4 hp and are always on the backrow
Play her on empty backrow to stop revival units from spawning

She destroys Skellige Debuff Decks:
Axemen only have 4 hp and those are the only mid row units this deck uses
Play her on empty midrow to kill Axemen

PS: Play her Together with Iris, Zoltan Animal Tamer and Yaevinn in deck to proc her if enemy doesn't ( Both benefit huge from her 4 damage! )

Last edited:
Struyk, is that you? Is that *really* you? Nah, that cannot be; an actual good post without any complaints or raging. I'm impressed!

:cheers:

4RM3D;n7773730 said:
Struyk, is that you? Is that *really* you? Nah, that cannot be; an actual good post without any complaints or raging. I'm impressed!

:cheers:

Yeah while I'm tilted as fk, lost about 20 in a row to Vellendragonthingy XD

I don't see how people would underrate it, when it can literally destroy a entire row or just stop the oponnent from putting else else in there.

ovan20;n7773790 said:
I don't see how people would underrate it, when it can literally destroy a entire row or just stop the oponnent from putting else else in there.

Still haven't seen her in 600+ games -.-

ovan20;n7773980 said:
That's bizarre...i put that card in my deck as soon i got it.

You probably don't play at +-3500 where it's 90% Radovid ( my last 20+ games were vs him lol no joke )

EDIT: Again him XD

She's a really good unit indeed but I don't think she's an auto include. She's very powerful if you build around (or I mean if you have a tactic that benefits her) otherwise all you said is true but your opponent can counter her fairly easily.

For example a good Henselt player will use his leader ability before the 3rd reaver hunter shows up, which slowers him down that's true but it loses the mind blowing effect it's supposed to have in the first place. Monster absorption can just play around by holding on the Nekker warrior or eating it with the Toad (or replace it with Johnny) ect

The problem with her is that, she's the only ambush card that spawns on your opponent's side (or if there is another, it must be pretty bad because I can't even think about one) so if you're opponent has a counter or a way to play around, he will do so.

Again, I'm not saying that she's a bad unit, I truly believe that she's great but I just explains why she's not necessarily an auto include in a ST deck.

I do agree on another point though : I have the feeling that a lot of peoples under estimate this card, which is a mistake imo. I always consider her while making a new ST deck and played her in many archetype already with great success.

Last edited:
Worth mentioning that you can force these trappers by playing a Vrihedd sapper on the row too, that right there is dirty combo, follow it up with a special and your dealing 6 strength to the whole row.

Redcoat2012;n7783450 said:
Worth mentioning that you can force these trappers by playing a Vrihedd sapper on the row too, that right there is dirty combo, follow it up with a special and your dealing 6 strength to the whole row.

They will die to the trappers 4 damage, I tried making a deck with this but it just doesn't work XD

And even if that was possible you could just play 2 lacerates instead, with less hussle and setup.

I played trappers a lot before the patch, but after three nerfs (they theoretically got only two, but nerfing Yavein nerfs them too). After the patch the upside is not worth the downside (that you might get nothing out of the card if opponent doesn't mind not using the row). (actually Ard nerf is another nerf to trapper too btw)

Trapper wasn't owerpowered card yet got severly nerfed. Sapper was almost never played and got no buff. I think that the best way to rehabilitate both would be to make Sapper an ambush card.

Last edited:
geraltjestgupi;n7785620 said:
And even if that was possible you could just play 2 lacerates instead, with less hussle and setup.

I played ambushers a lot before the patch, but after three nerfs (they theoretically got only two, but nerfing Yavein nerfs them too). After the patch the upside is not worth the downside (that you might get nothing out of the card if opponent doesn't mind not using the row). (actually Ard nerf is another nerf to ambusher too btw)

Trapper wasn't owerpowered card yet got severly nerfed. Sapper was almost never played and got no buff. I think that the best way to rehabilitate both would be to make Sapper an ambush card.

Problem with Lacerate is that it does 3 damage and not 4 damage...
You also don't want to draw Lacerate with your Elven Mercenary.
And this hits enemies that are yet to spawn, killing them before they activate ( Mahakem Guard? )

You really just need Yaevinn and Iris in deck ( which are both great in pretty much every deck )
Yaevinn is always +1 card advantage and Villen counter and Iris helps vs Absorb decks ( play in same row as the absorb lizard with timer ) and buffs all your units ( Kill her with Saskia for +4 buff! )

Struyk;n7785710 said:
Problem with Lacerate is that it does 3 damage and not 4 damage...

I was refering to this post:
"Worth mentioning that you can force these trappers by playing a Vrihedd sapper on the row too, that right there is dirty combo, follow it up with a special and your dealing 6 strength to the whole row."

You also don't want to draw Lacerate with your Elven Mercenary.

And you don't want to draw an ambusher in the last turn when you are down yo 1 or 0 cards. Risks everywhere.

And this hits enemies that are yet to spawn, killing them before they activate ( Mahakem Guard? )

Yes this is an asset but with a drawback that opponent knows what's coming, and can play around it too, especially if he has nothing on the row yet, and even if he has, losing two dwarves and getting 4 body in return is bad, but not crippling bad.

You really just need Yaevinn and Iris in deck ( which are both great in pretty much every deck )
Yaevinn is always +1 card advantage and Villen counter and Iris helps vs Absorb decks ( play in same row as the absorb lizard with timer ) and buffs all your units ( Kill her with Saskia for +4 buff! )

I guess that Iris with the way elves can spam the board with buffable bodies now is more compelling and something I did overlook (as I was mostly commited to ambush heavy decks with wardancers, which wouldn't benefit as much) and I do acknowledge that I might've underestimated spies overall leading me to too easily forfeiting the patched yaevin, but then again we are talking about two cards investment here with one of them being silver, and the whole combo needing a specific board situation.
Then again looking at current meta with NK, Dwarfs and Monsters tending to fill one row with a lot of small to medium creatures I could see Trappers in a new light. Sappers still suck though.

Last edited:
Had a few days leave and been playing a lot recently with an ST ambush deck including trappers, sappers and Yaevinn - moved up several ranks versus mainly (it seems) control Radovid and weather/consume monsters. There's something particularly amusing watching Radovid burning through their control cards or Borkh with no targets on the board :) Oddly enough the only deck I seem to struggle with is NG with whats-his-name that looks at the top 3 cards.

Agree with all the above comments that there are disadvantages such as a trapper last card draw, but personally I think the utility of an ambush deck against the current high-ranking decks is worth the risks if you want to have a chance in ranked play.

FYI deck is (off top of my head):
Broover Hoog.
Shirru, Aglais, Gigni, Yeneffer (conjurer)
Cairan, Toruviel, Scorch, Aeromancy, DBomb, Yaevinn
All the traps, sappers, Vrihed Dragoons (self-buff Ciaran or Toruviel) and Manticore venom (mangonels, NR units, monster spawns), BMC to bounce Dragoons, fire-ball traps and those annoying rot-tossers.
Note no Mercs or Clear Skies!

Last edited:
GenLiu;n7781560 said:
The problem with her is that, she's the only ambush card that spawns on your opponent's side (or if there is another, it must be pretty bad because I can't even think about one) so if you're opponent has a counter or a way to play around, he will do so.

Actually, there are several ST ambush cards that can be both loyal and disloyal, like Ciaran and Toruviel (at least they used to be, I haven't checked after the last update).

Theoretically you can put Toruviel on the opponent's row and pass to counter Villentretenmerth, but that seems like a very rare opportunity.

So yes, Trapper is like the only ambush card that is played on the opponent's side, so it's pretty obvious. The card would be more viable if it was changed to smth like this:

Ambush: When a revealed non-Gold unit appears on the opposing row, move to that row and remove 4 strength from all non-Gold units on the row (except self).

But that could make it an autoinclude in all ST decks, so most likely its str and dmg should also be tuned.

Esmer;n7792830 said:
Actually, there are several ST ambush cards that can be both loyal and disloyal, like Ciaran and Toruviel (at least they used to be, I haven't checked after the last update).

Ciaran definitely is (not sure about Toruviel), great bluff for a Dol Blanna Trapper, especially when you've just used one to screw up Monsters copying Nekkers he he. Hilarious watching your opponent trying to target the Nekker that's just been squashed by your trapper.

EDIT: Toruvial is both loyal and disloyal, agree that I can't think of many times I would want to risk such a powerful card on the opponents side unless I was VERY sure they weren't going to be fooled into thinking it's a Trapper.

Last edited:
I used the Dol Blathanna Trapper a lot under the last patch. I triggered it with Gaard, Yaevinn, Zoltan and it worked like a charm against the previous ST meta deck. However I find the trapper has been nerfed a bit too much for my taste (it was a double nerf in fact; Effect 5->4; Strenght 2->4). For now I have removed them from my ranked deck but maybe I will give it a try again ;)

stridecolossus;n7796280 said:
Ciaran definitely is (not sure about Toruviel), great bluff for a Dol Blanna Trapper, especially when you've just used one to screw up Monsters copying Nekkers he he. Hilarious watching your opponent trying to target the Nekker that's just been squashed by your trapper.

You can also use Ciaran to trigger the trapper after a pass, but using two cards just to hit the opponent's row for 4 doesn't look good (even though lacerate is only 3, it's usually stronger).

Top Bottom