The Yennefer/Triss choice in TW3

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet the 3 final ends can be Ciri saved, Ciri on the other side and Ciri dead. Some of the differents states can come from our decisions with these to women, among others (decisions, of course)... I'm off topic, am I not?

I bet the 3 epilogues involve 2 girls and one messed up relationship. It fits pretty well, no? :hmm:
As for Ciri, wouldn't "saved" and "on the other side" be the same thing? I can't imagine her sticking around, unless... she's finally ready to rule.

Give me a break.
Yen is talking of stuffed unicorns before even meeting Geralt.
In the books she slept around when she was with Geralt, and she was seducing Auckes and throwing anger tantrums at Letho during the events of the games.

I think he meant in case of a real relationship and not just sex or using sex for certain motives.

In the end it won't matter who you choose, Geralt will be single after 2-5 months again, because he can't endure any longer relationship and there are too many other sorceresses, who need the help of the White Wolf :p

I will definitively play with Yen, but i want to see later how they implement the Triss-decision as i am still unconvinced about that :p

I will definitively play with Yen, but i want to see later how they implement the Triss-decision as i am still unconvinced about that :p
I think CDPR did a great job with Triss in the games.
I would have definitely said Yen, but I am actually undecided after playing the games subjectively . I approached the games just like an amnesiac Geralt would, and I really let go of the urge to constraint myself by the books. I let CDPR take over, and I think they have done a great job in creating a fantastic game with the lore and characters.
We see a stronger and more mature Triss in the games, and it is completely acceptable by me as far as logic goes. Triss was young and inexperienced in the books, but she's had time to grow and change after the events of the books. I did not like the Triss from Witcher 1, because she was too similar to Yen. I really liked the Triss from the Witcher 2, because I can see the Triss that has changed to become more grounded and experienced. She is young, cheerful, and playful in Witcher 2 unlike the dry and humorless Triss of the Witcher 1.
I can also see Geralt choosing Triss even with his memories back, because he has experienced a real intimate relationship with Triss in the absence of Yennefer. In the books Geralt's relationship with Triss was not emotionally driven, because Yen was there to fill that role. But now Triss has had equal opportunity to fill the role of a partner who Geralt is emotionally attached to.
So I am undecided who I'd choose in my first playthrough, and I will make the decision based on the what I see in Witcher 3. I will definitely go with the second option in my second playthrough just to see how things turns out.

I agree and I actually feel lucky that I've played the games before I read the books, for I was truly an amnesiac Geralt that has now retrieved his memories.

Thus I will be as torn as he should be when having to choose. I have a slight bias toward Yen but the events in the game will definitely influence my final choice (if choice there is, has that been confirmed?).

Well, i played the games first and then read the books, too, yet i am absolutely in favor of Yennefer. The games made me even more interested in who that Yennefer is in the first place. So i was pleasantly surprised already with the first book (The Last Wish) and much more surprised by the minor role of Triss in the books and the similarity between Yennefer and Triss in W1. I guess everybody perceived the change of Triss from W1 to W2.

I also think that an amnesic Geralt would be attracted to Triss even without the players doing, it's just natural for Geralt. But without the players doing he would come back for Yennefer without a question, in my opinion. It's just not the first time he did it, more like the third time or so and i doubt it will change ever :)

You can't imprison the White Wolf, he needs his freedom every now and then and other kingdoms have also beautiful sorceresses :D

Thus I will be as torn as he should be when having to choose. I have a slight bias toward Yen but the events in the game will definitely influence my final choice (if choice there is, has that been confirmed?).

I don't know if they explicitly said that there will be THIS choice, but they hinted to it several times. I haven't read many articles recently as i don't want to know too much before i play the game, but i hope that it isn't just a "choose your waifu" decision.

We see a stronger and more mature Triss in the games, and it is completely acceptable by me as far as logic goes. Triss was young and inexperienced in the books, but she's had time to grow and change after the events of the books.

Yeah, and the events of W2 will harden her even more. And I think that Triss and Geralt finally spending some quality time together will cut both ways - she won't give him up that easily now. That totally won't backfire when Yen will try to reclaim her witcher...

Don't quote me on this, but I believe I've read something about how it won't be just "pick one or the other" or "save Triss or Yen". You'll have to work for it throughout the story. Who you'll end up at the end is completely up to you though.

I have always had this discussion on Gamebanshee. I haven't read the books, I may never, but if I do, it will be after the games. The first I had ever heard of the Witcher was for some promo for the Witcher 1, which I bought, tried to play, but hey, let's be honest, the first localization for the US/Can was not good. So, after everything was patched I played the heck out of it.

How could anyone (unless you dislike, mistrust Triss, I can see that), who is limited to the games for knowledge, ever drop the super hot supportive red head for some chick I don't remember hearing about until some drawn cut scene from Witcher 2?

I think he meant in case of a real relationship and not just sex or using sex for certain motives.

Yep, that's what I meant but my english is not good enough. Sex and love are two completely different things. You don't need an emotional connection to have sex.

I completely agree with this, but at the same time... I kind of hope that Triss isn't as wimpy around Yen as she was in the books. Now is really not the time for her to just wilt whenever Yen looks at her.
Still, what I've heard about both of them doing their own thing, going after their own goals, and the possibility of fucking up the romance altogether, is making me hopeful.[/I]?

I hope so, too. To be honest, I didn't like that either in the books. Triss was very wimpy in the presence of Yennefer. Sometimes it was very irritating and bugged me a lot... But she has changed a lot and now she is a strong, more mature woman. Also, I loved her "metamorphosis" at the end of the last book and immediately forgave all of her past mistakes.

Because super hot supportive is boring, every hollywood movie has that hot chick that falls for the main cast.

LOL

Anyway, your words about games and reading of books can be perfectly mines too. I never knew about the books nor Sapkowski. Just play the game and I never could avoid the unconfidence toward Triss. I found that Jaskier and Zoltan were a lot more confidence with Geralt, they gave more clues than Triss. And, of course, I don't like anybody saying "I control him" to a strange image in a mirror. Maybe it's because I'm a woman and I don't allow that the color of some female hair blind my senses.

I read the books after playing TW2. So books never ever could influence me in my perceptions. The Geralt's flashbacks in the second game make feel I was no wrong about Geralt's feelings. The books have only helped to reaffirm my decisions later.

Last edited:
Well, the first game makes it look like you were already in a relationship at the game start. As for the supportive thing, yes that was mostly in W2 for the time we had with her, but I am quite sure I would have died to a hail of arrow fire (wth, I saved them in the first game), when approaching Flotsam. Maybe she kept me alive for her own purposes, but whatever.

And, of course, I don't like anybody saying "I control him" to a strange image in a mirror. Maybe it's because I'm a woman and I don't allow that the color of some female hair blind my senses.

I may have misunderstood your post but did you mean Triss was talking about Geralt when she said "I control him"? At first I thought so too but later realized that
she was talking about Foltest not Geralt.

I don't remember exactly the words but the image talk about Your Witcher and she hope he doesn't suspect

Last edited:
Hmm, I didn't remember either but you've made me curious and I've just found the mirror text in an old thread. http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/8397-Triss-and-Yennefer/page2

Triss: You're mistaken. I have him under control.
Triss: And not just him. They're all eating out of my hand. I regret that Foltest is away at the summit, but I trust you'll tend to the kings' council.
Mirror Woman: I assume you've resolved matters with Leuvaarden as well?
Triss: Yes, I made an offer and he accepted. He claims his superiors had similar plans but we beat them to it.
Triss: Men can do nothing but talk and then always claim the initiative.
Mirror Woman: And how is your witcher?
Triss: I should be able to convince him.
Mirror Woman: Don't overdo it. Geralt can be exceptionally perceptive…
Triss: I know.
Triss: I must get back. I'll contact you when it's all over.
Mirror Woman: Never let the witcher guess what you hide from him.

The text is a bit vague but I think she was talking about
Foltest
when she said " I have him under control". On the other hand the "Never let the witcher guess what you hide from him" part is indeed interesting... I have a few idea regarding this but I hope we will get a straight answer in TW3.

On the other hand the "Never let the witcher guess what you hide from him" part is indeed interesting... I have a few idea regarding this but I hope we will get a straight answer in TW3.

The Lodge. Triss was talking to another member of the magical Illuminati (Metz?) and neither of them want Geralt to know about it. And Triss indeed hides the fact that's she's a part of the Lodge all the way until the end of W2.
Well, at least that'd be my first guess.

Another possibility that I can think of would be Yen. But Triss believes that she's dead and there's no reason to bring up the dead lover of an amnesiac witcher. And the mirror-woman wouldn't be concerned about that anyway.

Last edited:
The Lodge. Triss was talking to another member of the magical Illuminati (Metz?) and neither of them want Geralt to know about it. And Triss indeed hides the fact that's she's a part of the Lodge all the way until the end of W2.
Well, at least that'd be my first guess.

Yes, it would be my first guess too. Btw, I read somewhere that the "mirror woman" is indeed Keira Metz.

Another possibility that I can think of would be Yen. But Triss believes that she's dead and there's no reason to bring up the dead lover of an amnesiac witcher. And the mirror-woman wouldn't be concerned about that anyway.

I agree though some people think that Triss (and The Lodge) knew Yen was alive and just wanted to hide the fact.

I agree though some people think that Triss (and The Lodge) knew Yen was alive and just wanted to hide the fact.

Well, they could've learned about it when the Imperial secret police caught Yen? That's an interesting theory and it's certainly not impossible... I wouldn't give the Lodge THAT much credit though. Not to mention that the secret police is called secret for a reason.

And yes, the popular opinion about the mirror woman is that it's either Keira or Phili. I absolutely adore Metz, and the woman looks like a blonde, so it's a no-brainer for me.

Well, how early were they planning to set up an independent kingdom? Like when did they get Saskia under control?

The Lodge was trying to do just that from the start, technically. They tried to accomplish it with Ciri and Kovir, but it didn't work. So instead they started manipulating Saskia, since she's kind of... pretty clueless. It worked better than expected too - Phili could completely brainwash Saskia. And you know the rest of that story.

Last edited:
Of course Triss had to control Geralt and keep him from interfering with Lodge's business.
How much of a chance do you think an amnesiac Geralt had against the Lodge if they found him to be a threat ?
She hid information from Geralt and controlled him in order to protect him. This is completely apparent from her attitude in Witcher 2, when Geralt meets Sile'. Triss kept warning Geralt to stay away from Sile', but he kept ignoring her.

Of course Triss had to control Geralt and keep him from interfering with Lodge's business.
How much of a chance do you think an amnesiac Geralt had against the Lodge if they found him to be a threat ?
She hid information from Geralt and controlled him in order to protect him. This is completely apparent from her attitude in Witcher 2, when Geralt meets Sile'. Triss kept warning Geralt to stay away from Sile', but he kept ignoring her.

But of course. Geralt not knowing it works for both sides: he can rest easy without knowing too much, and the angry feminists don't have to do anything about him. Yet they were always wary, if not afraid, of Geralt. The Lodge knew that Triss would never willingly hurt the witcher, so they just stopped trusting her, stopped inviting her to the meetings. And I think that's one of those seemingly-insignificant, yet very telling things about Triss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom