Timed holiday events are great, except for the "timed" part

+
Timed holiday events are great, except for the "timed" part

Hi, CDPR!

I absolutely loved both Mahakam Ale Festival and Saovine and I'm looking forward to more of this kind of stuff.
The only thing is, why make them available for a limited time?
I mean, I guess I know where you're coming from, them being related to real-world events, like Oktoberfest, Halloween, Christmas and whatnot and, sure, it's more fun doing them in the spirit of the current holiday. The problem is, people can't always play videogames, sometimes even for months at a time and, this being a singleplayer thing, I see no reason not to keep them available forever.
I mean, I myself, pretty much at least once a year, go out on a few-months-long backpacking trip and, obviously, I don't take my PS4 with me (I do take my laptop, but, alas, there's no shared account between PC and PS4). In fact, this year, I had just returned home when Mahakam Ale Festival was in full swing, so I still managed to complete all of its challenges, but I couldn't stop thinking "Wow, if I had come back home just one week later or so, I would've missed out on this great event".
These events are honestly pretty great and it's a damn shame that there will always be people who miss out on them, just because, for some reason, they weren't able to play during that period. I'm not even talking about the rewards (though they're always nice to have too), but I'm mainly talking about the experience itself, which is a lot of fun.

So, holiday events have been brilliant so far and I definitely want more of them. Just don't give them a time limit, please.

Thanks.

Like you said, it coincides with the holiday. Doesn't make much sense to play a Halloween event in June for example.
But more importantly it has to do with scarcity.
It's already free rewards and the limitation of time makes it feel more special.

oxiarr;n9948491 said:
Like you said, it coincides with the holiday. Doesn't make much sense to play a Halloween event in June for example.
While I agree that it somehow feels nicer to play it during the related season, it's not as if it would suddenly stop being fun. I can assure you that I'd still have fun playing Saovine in June.
Kinda reminds me of people who say wintertime isn't a good time for ice cream. I mean, who cares if it's cold outside? Ice cream is still tasty!

I just feel it's a shame, and a waste too, that they make these well thought out challenges, cute little story and all, just to make them available for a couple of weeks.
And what about people who still haven't even gotten into Gwent yet? I mean, the game's still in beta. Surely many new players will get into Gwent over the next few years, only to find out that they missed out on unique challenges and stories. I mean, multiplayer events are one thing (those obviously have to be timed), but why not keep singleplayer challenges around? More gameplay, more challenges available, more fun, a richer game!

If anything, in order to make the trinket rewards (avatar, border, title) more special, I guess they could make those unlockable only during that holiday period, but still keep the challenges around after that, along with the card rewards. Though it wouldn't bother me at all if those trinkets could also be unlocked at any time. We already have plenty of trinkets which can only be unlocked during specific seasons, anyway.

I just don't like at all the idea of someone not being able to play a singleplayer game on their own terms. Singleplayer content should be available at all times, to be played whenever we feel like it (and when we can), not when the devs want us to play it.

Last edited:
O_Rei_do_Frango;n9949231 said:
And what about people who still haven't even gotten into Gwent yet? I mean, the game's still in beta. Surely many new players will get into Gwent over the next few years, only to find out that they missed out on unique challenges and stories. I mean, multiplayer events are one thing (those obviously have to be timed), but why not keep singleplayer challenges around? More gameplay, more challenges available, more fun, a richer game!

I completely agree with the op. Those little events are so much fun that it's kinda sad that we'll never be able to play them again. I think CDPR should add an event for each month and just have them replay for their specific months. For example, have the Saovine event play in October but this time around, the rewards could give the players scraps, ore and/or meteorite powder. As for the unique trinkets, they could make them available for everybody once the game is out of beta. Alternatively, they could make them be worth a fair amount of scraps.

Btw, I don't think I've seen around the forums so welcome. :)

Top Bottom