Tips for Fighting the Nightmare? (spoilers)

+
Tips for Fighting the Nightmare? (spoilers)

Anyone else having massive difficulty with this guy? I've been dancing toe to toe with Iris' nightmare for about 2 hours now, and it isn't getting any easier. I'm playing on Death March difficulty with a level 37 Geralt and Mastercrafted Wolven armor. My character is specced for hand-to-hand combat, not signs. I've tried everything: abusing the heck out of Quen, using Specter Oil, parrying attacks, dodge, roll, dodge, only engaging one nightmare at a time. The furthest I have gotten is the last three nightmares.

Tips would be appreciated if you've got them. I could lower the difficulty, but I'm loath to at this point because I've played Death March since the beginning.

I fought it at 3am....been a while I cursed so much...

After I killed one, I always tried to kill quickly 2-3 nightmares standing nearby with whirlwind (getting that special enchantment to increase your radius helps), before the next one awakes to attacks you.

You can already attack those, which still wait, but if you do that, they also attack you. So in the worst case you fight against 4 at the same time, if you aren't quick enough, but if you are, you only have to fight one of them at the same time, when he gets that glowing sword strike ability, which probably kills you in one hit on your difficulty.

It's not fool proof, but it worked in the end.

I pretty much had a combat/alchemy build (50/50) level 39 Geralt playing on DM NG. Took me a few tries but I found the first part of the fight where there's like 10 of them can be easily dealt with Tawny Oil and Blizzard induced Whirl, which can instantly take out 4-5 of them at once. Basically I repeated this till there was about 3 of them left (where it becomes harder to whirl as they keep blocking). Once 3 of them are left its just a matter of picking them out one by one. I realize if you don't attack the frozen/still nightmares, they won't attack you.

Took me almost 2 hours, got to the point where I wanted to change the difficulty from DM to like normal, which I actually tried but failed (didn't accept). And actually did it on DM thinking it's normal x)

My Geralt was with Master Wolven Armor, 35lvl I think. Always was getting to the last clone and dying on him, pretty much for about an hour. Before that couldn't even reach him. I honestly don't know how I did it, you just need to learn it and once you feel more comfortable - be more aggresive, until the last 2 it's pretty easy to dodge any attack.

I was always using quen, no other signs (but my tree is half focused on signs, so my quen is stronger). The last one I think I killed because he tried to charge at me - and once you hit him when he casts the charge, you stun him for good 3-4 seconds where you can freely attack. That was enough to take him down. Note: you don't have to kill it, if you get it to like below 10% the cutscene starts (as with many other bosses)

Beat it on NG+ Death March, took me about 6 tries (5th try died on last guy with sliver of health...). I had a alchemy/sign/combat build as i always do. one section for signs, one for alchemy, 2 for combat. You could also do 2 for alchemy instead of sign, as you like.
Anyways make sure you are only fighting one at a time, makes it easier. When i attacked one I would lure it away from the others and fight well back. I made sure my health was constantly being regenerated slowly with food, and took advantage of 25% health regen per potion dose. If i ever got hit by his fast attack it was almost one hit kill so that's when i would drink superior swallow. Quen constantly on, just do it. thunderbolt and tawny owl are useful for the attack and stamina.

After beating a few I would start to run out of potions, at this point i switched out my potion setup mid fight, drank a white honey dose (resets toxicity and clears) then continued using potions to heal me and give boosts. Main thing is knowing when to attack, keep ur guard up and keep dodging when he does his speed attack, then go for one-two quick attacks. Be patient! Watch the pattern of attacks and when there's an opening, you hit once or twice then go back(for me i would do whirl instead but only if i had quen and could take a hit). Is a foolproof method, goodluck

Top Bottom