Top 10 most annoying cards currently (make a list)

+
Quite in all honesty, if you're going to talk about "annoying cows", the Rot Tosser will be the LAST thing to come up. Now imagine cow-soon-to-be-turned-into-a-Chort that sits under Defender or has a shield/a lot of armor. And there's more than one on the board.

• Wild boar of the sea
  • Kikimore queen
  • Morkvarg: Heart of terror
  • Dagur two blades
  • Philippa Eilhart
  • Vilgefortz
  • Gremist/Adalbertus Kalkstein
  • Malena
  • An Craite longship
  • Armored drakkar

What ever that Gerald card is that resets every card on a row, IT HAS TO GO!
Every since it was introduced, fun factor has gone down. CHANGE IT to a 13 cost, or remove that BS from the GAME!

Every since it was introduced, fun factor has gone down. CHANGE IT to a 13 cost, or remove that BS from the GAME!

Y'see? In my last game I actually beat someone with it. I thought I'd lost, but I hadn't. I agree with changing it. It seems that a fundamental flaw in the game is that the provision cost element does not work correctly. It's meant to make you value things and pick them carefully and thus not be able to 'stack up' advantages by building a super-deck of sorts. The fact that one card on its own can do so much doesn't tie up with that so it's a design flaw. Rather than increasing costs I'd prefer to see conditions attached. With the card you're talking about I'd make it so that it couldn't be played in the last three rounds of round three i.e. it's not a cheap trick. What we'd all like to see is clever use of these cards situationally and I think, even watching part of the Open yesterday, that that doesn't really apply.

Guest 4404014

Yrden is fine. It's a hyper expensive row punish tech that bricks against 70% decks.

Ironically, it was the very first card I crafted after seeing it WOW! in Arena lol. The second one was Cahir. Both gather dust now ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

It's been in the game for a long time, and it's been the same the whole time, and it never was a problem.

You can learn to avoid its effects if you work against it and assume someone has it. That followed by Yeninvo (or whatever the short version is), however, ....

Guest 4375874

It's been in the game for a long time, and it's been the same the whole time, and it never was a problem.
Very simple. It wasn't a problem before because everyone didn't have to play wide/swarm to survive NG/ST/SY poison fest. All it takes is a broken mechanic/faction

Guest 4404014

and assume someone has it.

Problem is you can never assume someone has it. Yrden doesn't fit in any major concept. You can however assume that Skellige with their Wild Boar nonsense doesn't have it. And Syndicate with their Tinboy are less likely to have it.

The card itself isn't op once you understand/agree with the philosophy of Gwent - that one card can shut down a whole faction and beat your whole deck. And once you do, you realize that there are PLENTY of cards like that. My latest nemesis: freaking Noonwraith abuse. That thing is sick. It takes some combos and some luck to pull it off but for a 4pr bronze, that card is maybe the most broken in the game. You slip for one turn and two turns later you wake up with 3 cards left and nowhere to play them, followed by two 15-20-ish point swings. Most definitely number one on my annoyance list now.

Problem is you can never assume someone has it.

You can never assume anyone has any particular card, that's the purpose of the game.

Just because the game currently is stale and everyone plays the same cards, doesn't mean it should be that predictable. You seem to assume it should be predictable.

Guest 4375874

Problem is you can never assume someone has it. Yrden doesn't fit in any major concept. You can however assume that Skellige with their Wild Boar nonsense doesn't have it. And Syndicate with their Tinboy are less likely to have it.

The card itself isn't op once you understand/agree with the philosophy of Gwent - that one card can shut down a whole faction and beat your whole deck. And once you do, you realize that there are PLENTY of cards like that. My latest nemesis: freaking Noonwraith abuse. That thing is sick. It takes some combos and some luck to pull it off but for a 4pr bronze, that card is maybe the most broken in the game. You slip for one turn and two turns later you wake up with 3 cards left and nowhere to play them, followed by two 15-20-ish point swings. Most definitely number one on my annoyance list now.
"It takes some combos and luck to pull it off". That's not a broken card, it's broken if all you have to do is just play a card to win, not strategize over several turns to make a play work. If you see Noonwraith and it takes you several turns to do something about it then that's you making an incorrect assumption. It's not the same when a card is just deployed

Guest 4404014

"It takes some combos and luck to pull it off". That's not a broken card, it's broken if all you have to do is just play a card to win, not strategize over several turns to make a play work. If you see Noonwraith and it takes you several turns to do something about it then that's you making an incorrect assumption. It's not the same when a card is just deployed

Maybe not "broken" but "broken annoying." And if you see a Noonwraith out of Operator and you didn't manage to snap remove Ge'els, there's nothing you can do really. Second one (and maybe a third one) is coming for double value and your rows are gonna get 7-9 blockers anyway. If you got any tokens of your own you're gonna get blocked for sure. And there's also the Caranthir Ar-Whatever.

Losing 2-3 plays at the end of R3 (followed by two massive point swings from Jotunn and Glusty) is more of a clusterfk than any unremoved double Damiens or Skellens (hated cuz NG) nad even more of a fkery than Tinboys and Wild Boars. But, true enough, Tinboy and Boar are 1 cards and that needs a serious setup.

You can never assume anyone has any particular card, that's the purpose of the game.

Well... if you see a Ball and you didn't see soldiers you can safely assume he got Assire. If you see a dryad, you are gonna see Great Oak. You see a Skelliger ugly face you know he's got a Gremist. You see Nilgardian Golden Sun, you know you gotta feed sth to the Yen, etc.

Mmkay, people, so...I dunno about all this "most annoying cards" shenanigans of yours or whatnot, but...what I definitely can state right now without any irony whatsoever is that ANY player ever, REGARDLESS of skill, should have Defender FIRST AND FOREMOST, BEFORE ever trying to use ANY factions she/he never played before. It's largely (by the absolutely largest percentage of it) impossible to have decent win/draw/lose ratio if you have a deck/hand that doesn't have a Defender card, ESPECIALLY if you've only started playing the faction for the first time ever. So REGARDLESS of what you'll be doing/what deck you'll be building/what tactic you're planning on using - get Defender for your current faction of choice ASAP. Invest in Defender FIRST, then think about any other cards later. Defender is a MUST. It doesn't matter if you're new to this, or if you're a pro, or if your opponent tries to play meta combinations. Without Defender your chances of winning or turning the game into a draw will be drastically lower (if not outright IMPOSSIBLE) when you get to play at any ranked levels going from 22 and further, because people out there are INSANELY THIRSTY and WILL make sure to do anything and everything they can do to ruin your fun (if you don't have a Defender).

Last edited:
Well... if you see a Ball and you didn't see soldiers you can safely assume he got Assire. If you see a dryad, you are gonna see Great Oak. You see a Skelliger ugly face you know he's got a Gremist. You see Nilgardian Golden Sun, you know you gotta feed sth to the Yen, etc.

There are over a thousand cards in the game, and people are pretty free to put decks together however they want. You expecting everyone to play the same hidden cache deck last month is your fault. You can't assume everyone is using the same cards just because alot of people just copy the same decks and play it.

You seem to think you should be able to know what everyone is playing before they play it, as you think assumptions should and must be correct. This is the wrong way of thinking, so blame yourself instead of Yrden.

It's fine if you find Yrden annoying, that's what the whole thread is about, peoples opinions about annoying cards. But stop pretending it's something else than your opinion.

Guest 4404014

Mmkay, people, so...I dunno about all this "most annoying cards" shenanigans of yours or whatnot, but...what I definitely can state right now without any irony whatsoever is that ANY player ever, REGARDLESS of skill, should have Defender FIRST AND FOREMOST, BEFORE ever trying to use ANY factions she/he never played before. It's largely (by the absolutely largest percentage of it) impossible to have decent win/draw/lose ratio if you have a deck/hand that doesn't have a Defender card, ESPECIALLY if you've only started playing the faction for the first time ever. So REGARDLESS of what you'll be doing/what deck you'll be building/what tactic you're planning on using - get Defender for your current faction of choice ASAP. Invest in Defender FIRST, then think about any other cards later. Defender is a MUST. It doesn't matter if you're new to this, or if you're a pro, or if your opponent tries to play meta combinations. Without Defender your chances of winning or turning the game into a draw will be drastically lower (if not outright IMPOSSIBLE) when you get to play at any ranked levels going from 22 and further, because people out there are INSANELY THIRSTY and WILL make sure to do anything and anything they could do to ruin your fun (if you don't have a Defender).

In my opinion, defender is overrated. Sometimes it is super useful and sometimes it's nothing but a purify magnet. There are plenty top decks where defender provisions are much better spent elsewhere.

Mainly, defender is supposed to counter target control. But the faction that spams it - NG - got 2 cards to snap remove a defender and some other combos for double poison. SK deal plenty dmg without target and got Gremist. ST got movement. SY buys defenders for 5-7 coin. Others pack Pellar, Caretaker or faction purify cards, etc. So, imo, it's basically just another link in the chain of back and forth answer game.
Post automatically merged:

There are over a thousand cards in the game, and people are pretty free to put decks together however they want. You expecting everyone to play the same hidden cache deck last month is your fault. You can't assume everyone is using the same cards just because alot of people just copy the same decks and play it.

You seem to think you should be able to know what everyone is playing before they play it, as you think assumptions should and must be correct. This is the wrong way of thinking, so blame yourself instead of Yrden.

It's fine if you find Yrden annoying, that's what the whole thread is about, peoples opinions about annoying cards. But stop pretending it's something else than your opinion.

I'm not sure 1) what you're trying to say, 2) why you're lashing out at me and 3) how come you assume to know what I think and then say that making assumptions is wrong.

I don't think you can possibly know EVERYTHING about EVERYONE and ALWAYS be correct. But you sure can know SOMETHING about SOME PEOPLE, and how correct you are OFTEN affects your ability to win. You said that one can never assume anything about any card, and I don't agree with that.

As for Yrden, I'm not blaming it for anything. Just saying that it's less predictable.

purify magnet
First of all - there are some cards that can restore cards' abilities/skills. Did you know that?
If you got a good hand/deck - you can give back the Defender skill to the already-purified card. This usually produces A LOT of butthurt/REEEEEEEEEEEing in your opponent, especially if you play it late into the round/game and use it well at a proper moment.

Besides, such cards as Azar Javed, who spawn TWO Defender units (if Tribute is paid, which is not that hard to do at all) protecting entire row back-to-back (so it's absolutely impossible to attack them in any way, because they make EACH-OTHER Immune to manual targeting, so THEY cannot be targeted as well, only leaving you the option to spend row or AoE/field effects, and considering that they have armor + can be boosted/armored/Vitalized/shielded, makes it near-impossible to destroy them after the deploy, EVEN WITH AoE/Field/row attacks), make the round mostly broken, ESPECIALLY if you have cards which can move allied units between rows, I think (you can move one Defender onto Melee while leaving other at Ranged, making BOTH rows Immune).

Last edited:

Guest 4375874

First of all - there are some cards that can restore cards' abilities/skills. Did you know that?
How many of these cards do you have in your deck exactly? Because against NG you will need a lot and does nothing against Yennefer. ST can move it numerous times or just poison or and SK doesn't need a target. SY can just steal it with enough coins which is rather simple these days

Guest 4375874

In my opinion, defender is overrated. Sometimes it is super useful and sometimes it's nothing but a purify magnet. There are plenty top decks where defender provisions are much better spent elsewhere.

Mainly, defender is supposed to counter target control. But the faction that spams it - NG - got 2 cards to snap remove a defender and some other combos for double poison. SK deal plenty dmg without target and got Gremist. ST got movement. SY buys defenders for 5-7 coin. Others pack Pellar, Caretaker or faction purify cards, etc. So, imo, it's basically just another link in the chain of back and forth answer game.
Post automatically merged:

I'm not sure 1) what you're trying to say, 2) why you're lashing out at me and 3) how come you assume to know what I think and then say that making assumptions is wrong.

I don't think you can possibly know EVERYTHING about EVERYONE and ALWAYS be correct. But you sure can know SOMETHING about SOME PEOPLE, and how correct you are OFTEN affects your ability to win. You said that one can never assume anything about any card, and I don't agree with that.

As for Yrden, I'm not blaming it for anything. Just saying that it's less predictable.

My thoughts exactly. The factions abusing Defenders the most are those your Defenders are worthless against. Between NG, SY, ST and SK....it'll either get poisoned, Yen's Invocation, poisoned, Moved quite easily, poisoned or in the case of SK a target isn't needed. All of this to say you are forced to all play the same deck to have any chance with poison being a huge contributor

Guest 4404014

Yes, one card, Mandrake special for 8 provisions.

Azar Javed

Azar is a problem, yeah. That youtube guy who showcases pro decks used that dragon with "damage 2 units by 2" just for the beetles, apparently this was used on one of the tournaments when SY was mega op afaik (still is imo). But if untended to Passiflora is a sure lose condition on a control deck like poison, then I just let Lacerate go prematurely. Plus Azar is Falibor's wet dream, NR bronzes also deal with it, so it's the easiest defender for NR.

because they make EACH-OTHER Immune to manual targeting

That doesn't happen.

Top Bottom