Trimming Gwent #3: Locks and Resurrection

+
Dealing damage removes a unit.
Locking stops its ability.
Locking (using Dimeritium Shackles) a Locked unit unlocks it.
Using Decoy on a unit resets its Power.
Using Decoy on a Locked unit unlocks it.
Locked units remain Locked in Graveyard.
Resurrecting a Locked unit removes its Lock.

Damage affects Power, and Lock affects ability. So, my question is should resurrecting remove Lock from a unit? Locked units remain Locked in Graveyard. This is strange, since in my knowledge, the only way a Graveyard unit can be interacted with is by resurrecting it. So, why keep the units Locked in the graveyard anyways? What difference does it makes, since it'll be un-Locked when resurrected?

Lock is an interesting Gwent feature. (Somewhat) similar to Reset, it stops a unit from executing its ability. Unlike Mandrake, it is rarely seen though. I would want to see more of Locks, since it makes the game more complex and interesting, and I sure hope many of the players here will agree with me. Underway Homecoming or not, CDPR needs to make Locks more prominent, and for this they need to reduce the damage-dealing ability of cards, specially Bronze cards. Since nobody (in their right mind) is going to bother with Locks, if they can deal 13 damage with Bronze (such as Viper Witchers, or Mastercrafted Spear) and remove a unit entirely. I think CDPR should balance the game such that only Gold cards can remove a unit. Whereas Bronze units should take at least two turns with the damage they deal to remove a unit. This should complicate the game, as strong removals which keep destroying the engines the turn it is played is killing the game right now. Some engines could even be Immune to Bronze damage. Immune is another interesting tag, but it is rarely used; I don't know why.

I digressed. My suggestion is, that Locked units which are resurrected should remain Locked. Remember, Locks target abilities, so the resurrected Locked units will be played, but there abilities will not be triggered; only their Power will be added to the Score. This'll encourage the players to start carrying more Locks in their decks, and use them on the cards whose abilities are troublesome. For example, it'll help control the exploit of Viper Witchers, An Craite Greatsword, Tuirseach Bearmaster and other similar cards by certain players. Similarly, players should be able to un-Lock cards from their 'own' Graveyards using Dimeritium Shackles, before they can resurrect them to use their ability, in the next turn, perhaps?

I hope the Gwent Team takes note of this, so that they can incorporate some of these ideas in their Homecoming update. And what do you guys think of it?

Actually, you are making a small oversight here. You are talking about deploy abilities and not giving attention to the passive abilties.

Like mork and ronvid, also, cerys. Locking it and sending it to grave makes them stay there. Ressurecting unit opens up the deploy ability (or any ability for that matter) because it works as placing new unit on board.

So, yes, locks in graveyard do matter sometimes and not so pointless after all.

Last edited:
Oh, right. Thanks for telling this to me. So, Locks in Graveyard keep the units from resurrecting automatically. Still, they're un-Locked when resurrected. And my suggestion is that only Locks should be able to un-Lock Locks.

Oh, right. Thanks for telling this to me. So, Locks in Graveyard keep the units from resurrecting automatically. Still, they're un-Locked when resurrected. And my suggestion is that only Locks should be able to un-Lock Locks.

Well, to be fair, decoy being able to unlock kinda makes sense in-lore (like, you killed the decoy, not a real person and now he came to change places with his decoy), also renew is complete ressurection, healing everything, so it's also logical (and it would be bad if it wouldn't unlock).

Everything else, like freyas and ointments could be as you said - no lock removal, I agree.

Yeah...Silvers and Golds (based on lore) should be able to do it. You made some good points.

Top Bottom