[Triss Merigold] Forced to Damage my Own Unit

+
[Triss Merigold] Forced to Damage my Own Unit

I was in a game on the final round up two cards to my opponents one card. I played a bronze card worth 6 points then He played geralt for ten points, my last card was triss merigold and I was forced to damage my own bronze card for 5 points and lost the match. Is there a way around this or is this an intended mechanic?

mfool123;n8661470 said:
I was in a game on the final round up two cards to my opponents one card. I played a bronze card worth 6 points then He played geralt for ten points, my last card was triss merigold and I was forced to damage my own bronze card for 5 points and lost the match. Is there a way around this or is this an intended mechanic?

It's intended (in certain situations it us actually pretty useful.

Only way around this in that situation is playing Triss first.

Yeah you can't save cards like that for last. It's working as intended. Your opponent played it smart by using a gold card as his only line of defense against anything you had.

The_def_star;n8670490 said:
Yeah you can't save cards like that for last. It's working as intended. Your opponent played it smart by using a gold card as his only line of defense against anything you had.

Yeah cause people play around Triss now right?

Anyway you missed the point, it's about how it works, it's how it SHOULD work. So even if it's intended mechanic i think you shouldn't be forced to damage your own minions. There are several cards where you can right click to end or cancel their effect.

I'm not saying that at all. Even in the closed beta when you had units that attack 3 units in a row you had to choose 3 units even if that meant hitting one of your own because there were only 2 enemy units. The only way you can get around that is by not having any units on your side that can get hit (via gold cards Or not having any units on the board). That's how it worked in the CB I don't see why that would have changed unless they mentioned it in the patch notes. If that's something you want change then we can have that discussion but he asked if that is what the intended purpose of her effect was which it is.

Arsenal96;n8687770 said:
Out of interest what would happen if you let the timer run down before you choose a unit to damage?

Usually a random unit gets hit if you do that (I haven't tried that with Triss but with other cards it is like that).

Arsenal96;n8687770 said:
Out of interest what would happen if you let the timer run down before you choose a unit to damage?

The game will select a target at random. Though players have reported it sometimes crashes their game. I've also heard whispers that there is a small change the world will come to an end once Triss' spell goes haywire.

4RM3D;n8687840 said:
The game will select a target at random. Though players have reported it sometimes crashes their game. I've also heard whispers that there is a small change the world will come to an end once Triss' spell goes haywire.

:upset:

Thanks for clearing that up though. Thought as much.

Luv this bit** , sometimes makes you cry but its very useful. Had a game when in last round oponent put old speartip oposing harpies so i used triss to kill an egg and speartip did not awake :)

Heres the thing,some cards like triss say "Deal x damage to a unit" meaning you are forced to activate the ability as long as there is a valid target.there are also other cards that say "you may do 'y' thing" meaning you have an option not to activate the ability.Triss is a great and very versatile card,you just have to be careful of situations like the one you describe :).

WAI
Triss self burn is good against Nilf cows or spies. A bit expensive in cards but we work with what we have.
In such situation you should play Triss first and then your bronze later. And you should know that.

Good side: At some point everyone discovered that "you cant target golden cards" and ended bad with that. Just a learning curve.
:halt:

Ele'yas' Ability triggers no matter what

Was not sure where to post this one, here or in the Suggestions part, but, here's the deal:

the description of the card reads "Deploy: Destroy an Ally and Damage an Enemy by the Destroyed Ally''s Power", but sometimes there is nothing to destroy (like only Golds or Ambushes).

Why it should be like that? Why the Ability should trigger every time and not only when there are enemies that you can actually hit?

Is this a bug or intentional?

And if it is intentional - what the hell?

partci;n9224421 said:
Is this a bug or intentional?

Intentional. This has been a thing that has been discussed since day one of the Closed Beta and it comes up again every now and then. There are a lot of cards that carry the risk, e.g. Triss Merigold. It's a risk you have to navigate around. If you have the card in round 3, it might be safer to just play him before playing other bronze/silver cards, depending on how many cards you have left.

Iuliandrei;n8670850 said:
Yeah cause people play around Triss now right?

Anyway you missed the point, it's about how it works, it's how it SHOULD work. So even if it's intended mechanic i think you shouldn't be forced to damage your own minions. There are several cards where you can right click to end or cancel their effect.

Agree, i played the game for 150hrs+ and this mechanic of "FORCING to damage your own units if there is no unit to attack" is so annoying - Clan Brokvar archers, Shieldmaidens, Holger... etc

Once i played a match, it was the 3rd round, me and my opponent had only 1 card left and it was my turn, i pulled Sile De Tansarville and she pulled me a lightning, scince there were no enemy units on the field i was forced to apply the lightning on my only unit and killed her... after that my opponent pulled some lone sergeant with the value of 3 and won. That was so retarded and was the first time when i uninstalled the game. But why i just couldn't fkn cancel it?

It seems that some people don't understand the point, they speaking about killing rotten cows and spies etc, while the issue isn't the ability to attack your own units, but FORCING to attack them when you don't want. The exclusion may be cards like scorch or epidemic which are meant to affect the whole field globally on both sides, but not the stupid archers!!!

Last edited:
777decapitator777;n9336021 said:
Agree, i played the game for 150hrs+ and this mechanic of "FORCING to damage your own units if there is no unit to attack" is so annoying - Clan Brokvar archers, Shieldmaidens, Holger... etc

Once i played a match, it was the 3rd round, me and my opponent had only 1 card left and it was my turn, i pulled Sile De Tansarville and she pulled me a lightning, scince there were no enemy units on the field i was forced to apply the lightning on my only unit and killed her... after that my opponent pulled some lone sergeant with the value of 3 and won. That was so retarded and was the first time when i uninstalled the game. But why i just couldn't fkn cancel it?

It seems that some people don't understand the point, they speaking about killing rotten cows and spies etc, while the issue isn't the ability to attack your own units, but FORCING to attack them when you don't want. The exclusion may be cards like scorch or epidemic which are meant to affect the whole field globally on both sides, but not the stupid archers!!!

You can't eat the cake while leaving it whole. You're either forced to damage a unit(friend or foe) which allows you to kill cows, spies, etc, or just an enemy which negates the ability to kill cows,spies, etc, with said card. So the question is what's more frequent, wanting to target a cow, spy, etc, or being forced to damage something on your board when you don't want to. I don't have access to any draw data here(I doubt CDPR has either as it's such a niche question to begin with) but if I was a betting man I'd bet that the former is much more frequent than the later. Also since you mentioned choice, if you look at the other choice mechanics in this game you'd see there is no card with the ability to choose whether to damage something anywhere on the field(yours or your opponent's board). Oh and by the way, all the example cards you mentioned actually target your own board quite frequently(Holger the least frequent but it's still a viable play on many occasions because the +3 strength to a card in your graveyard is stronger than losing 1 strength from killing a Priestess) and this interaction is actually very powerful to the point where making it a choice to completely negate the downside may have significant balance issues on many if not all of these cards.

OwlRaider;n9389441 said:
You can't eat the cake while leaving it whole. You're either forced to damage a unit(friend or foe) which allows you to kill cows, spies, etc, or just an enemy which negates the ability to kill cows,spies, etc, with said card. So the question is what's more frequent, wanting to target a cow, spy, etc, or being forced to damage something on your board when you don't want to. I don't have access to any draw data here(I doubt CDPR has either as it's such a niche question to begin with) but if I was a betting man I'd bet that the former is much more frequent than the later. Also since you mentioned choice, if you look at the other choice mechanics in this game you'd see there is no card with the ability to choose whether to damage something anywhere on the field(yours or your opponent's board). Oh and by the way, all the example cards you mentioned actually target your own board quite frequently(Holger the least frequent but it's still a viable play on many occasions because the +3 strength to a card in your graveyard is stronger than losing 1 strength from killing a Priestess) and this interaction is actually very powerful to the point where making it a choice to completely negate the downside may have significant balance issues on many if not all of these cards.

no you analogy is bs. I don's see any valid reason except laziness, to make units have an ability for canceling their attack if there is no enemies on the board

Top Bottom