[TW1] Question about Mac version of TW1 and existing mods

+
[TW1] Question about Mac version of TW1 and existing mods

I don't have a Mac and don't know much about them, so I have a question for those who do: will the library of mods we have for TW1 work on the Mac?

If yes, then I'll tell my friends with Macs about some of the mods I think are good for first-time players. If no, I'll add "Note that this doesn't work with the Mac version of the game" to the descriptions of all my mods.

Thanks!

Corylea said:
I don't have a Mac and don't know much about them, so I have a question for those who do: will the library of mods we have for TW1 work on the Mac?

If yes, then I'll tell my friends with Macs about some of the mods I think are good for first-time players. If no, I'll add "Note that this doesn't work with the Mac version of the game" to the descriptions of all my mods.

Thanks!
They would more than likely go into the same override folder that we use
I wouldn`t recommend any high texture mods though at this point .

I also don`t know where they would put the extra adventures at this point either yet but will hopefully find out soon .

Tommy said:
They would more than likely go into the same override folder that we use
I wouldn`t recommend any high texture mods though at this point .

I also don`t know where they would put the extra adventures at this point either yet but will hopefully find out soon .
Thanks, Tommy. I was actually wondering if the files would work at all, rather than wondering where to put them (though that's an interesting question, too). I didn't know if there would need to be completely new versions of things for the Mac.

Corylea said:
Thanks, Tommy. I was actually wondering if the files would work at all, rather than wondering where to put them (though that's an interesting question, too). I didn't know if there would need to be completely new versions of things for the Mac.
I know that Macs are setup totally different that what i`m used to but after helping a user the other day the system files are not that different .

eleve

Forum regular
Inside the application file the structure is identical to the one on the PC. Most mods should run fine.

Having said/written that...many Mac users don't know that their applications are actually folders of files and would have to be taught how to get a mod to work :)

eleve said:
Inside the application file the structure is identical to the one on the PC. Most mods should run fine.
Thank you, that's very helpful!

Having said/written that...many Mac users don't know that their applications are actually folders of files and would have to be taught how to get a mod to work :)
Many users of any variety have trouble with the simplest things. I've had people complain that a mod doesn't work when actually, they forgot to unzip a file, or they unzipped it to their desktop, or they tried to apply it to the wrong game ... yeah, I hear you. ;)

eleve

Forum regular
I just tried your Dark Elf mod and it showed up correctly (taking into account that the game still doesn't properly display cut scenes and will crash frequently on my machine). The Override folder has to be created manually inside the Data folder at the location:
/Users//Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/the witcher enhanced edition/The Witcher.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/The Witcher/Data/

or if you moved the app to another place:
The Witcher.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/The Witcher/Data/

Move the mod into that Override folder and it should work

eleve

Forum regular
I also played through part of Yennefer's Valentine and that runs fine :)
Actually, it seems to run better on my machine than the official game, lol

The downloaded file needs to go into
/Users//Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/the witcher enhanced edition/The Witcher.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/users/Public/Documents/The Witcher/

or if one moved the app to another place
The Witcher.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/users/Public/Documents/The Witcher/

I guess next would be some high res stuff...I see no reason why that wouldn't work. Not Tonight though :)

Thank you so much, Eleve! I really appreciate your testing stuff out and showing us where to put mods on the Mac.

Here, have a +1 for each of your helpful posts.

eleve said:
*laugh* I imagine it's less complicated than the regular game, so it's less of a strain on the computer's resources.

Hi Eleve
I am running TW1 on Macbook under OSX Lion installed through Steam. I cannot seem to find any of these folders you refer to. I am trying to install the First Person camera mod which i used on the PC version. I can find the save game location (located in ~/Library) but not the data folder for the mods.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks

eleve said:

The downloaded file needs to go into
/Users//Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/the witcher enhanced edition/The Witcher.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/users/Public/Documents/The Witcher/

or if one moved the app to another place
The Witcher.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/users/Public/Documents/The Witcher/

I guess next would be some high res stuff...I see no reason why that wouldn't work. Not Tonight though :)

Steam uses it's own storage mechanism, so you'll have to figure out if it's even possible to access files directly:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_%28software%29#Software_delivery_and_maintenance

I'd recommend just to get a DRM free GOG version and run it under Wine straight. Then you can do whatever you want with your files.

eleve said:
I just tried your Dark Elf mod and it showed up correctly (taking into account that the game still doesn't properly display cut scenes and will crash frequently on my machine). The Override folder has to be created manually inside the Data folder at the location:
/Users//Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/the witcher enhanced edition/The Witcher.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/The Witcher/Data/

or if you moved the app to another place:
The Witcher.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/The Witcher/Data/

Move the mod into that Override folder and it should work

DUDE!!... or Gal!!! THANK YOU!!!! i COULDN'T HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT YOUR HELP!!!

Top Bottom