Understanding, PR and all the rest

+

mjul

Forum veteran
Understanding, PR and all the rest

First of all, I'd like to thank CDPR for being so understanding and not cracking down on people (everyone, basically) who leaked footage and info about the performance and gameplay of the KTS test. It was very magnanimous of you, since you had every right to do so.

While the amount of backlash following the test was large. I don't think that it was done by any fans in bad faith. Even the most vehement objections were, at least neutral in tone and most of them was very polite critique. However it does raise a problem of why that even happened.

While CDPR has always been very forthcoming and fair to its fanbase, mistakes happen. And I believe CDPR made that mistake. For weeks we have been analyzing and discussing the Gamescon build which was featured as recently as during PAX. People built decks, theorycrafted, discussed strategies and balance. Then, suddenly, all of that was erased and during the KTS test we were presented with something that many people consider to be a too big departure of what they thought as Gwent. Not saying they are right. Gwent is still the same, but the drawing mechanic, the invulnerability of heroes to both buffs and debuffs, decoys, all of these where considered to be staple for Gwent. Now that has changed and people are both confused and a little bit angry. Confused because all the theorycrafting and deckbuilding is now useless, since they game has changed so much. Angry because they were surprised by the changes. They got to experience the game first hand without any preparation and some were very confused as to what was going on.

To summarise: I believe that showcasing builds that were changed so drastically in that short time and not communicating these changes before the test, CDPR has created this problem themselves.

I still am very excited about Gwent and I like many of the changes, for example card classification is great now, I really like it. Same with special cards being bronze, silver or gold. I also like the fact that bronze cards appeared to be weakened from previous versions, which raises the power of silver cards respectivelly.

So I am convinced that while we, as a community, may have some issues with the current build, we need to calm down a bit and try to absorb the changes before we declare that Gwent is ruined. Which in my opinion it of course isn't.

Nah, it's not that bad.

Let me say first and foremost CDPR explicitly asked for our feedback. And if we see negative things we are of course more eager to mention them than positive ones because positive ones do not need to be changed ultimately.

Like you said, nobody had any ill will. We all care about the game, we all want it to be great (much like it was with TW3 back then) so we criticize and worry in order to make the game the best it can be at release. The earlier you are able to eliminate problems and revert bad changes so you can move on to other possible changes and experiments the better.

I agree, it changed drastically without forewarning. I think that is the reason why a lot of people were so shocked about the changes. Now that this is settled, there seems to be a big consensus on some major issues and points of worry and a lot of people seem to agree on them, so I guess it's now clearer than before which problems and changes should be focused on and re-considered.

You both right. We all dont want gwent to become just another card game with lots of cards, good music and tons of RNG. I personally hate RNG in games, I want to win matches with just my skills not luck. I loved the strategical aspect of original gwent. I know changes are necessary I like the gold, silver, bronze change, I liked spies new mechanic I like lot of new stuff but still I dont want the core of the game to be changed.
I dont know why CDPR forcing draw cards mechanic so much. They should at least discuss it. In posts they only defending that mechanic not listening ours good arguments and I dont know why. We also care about gwent, we also want that game to be great...

Can't you just theory craft and deck build around the new rule set?

Every online game I've touched in the last 8 years or so has been dynamic and you just change your tactics.

Sure, some changes are not as welcomed as others but I'm positive that as long as people are gaming Gwent there will be changes happening to the game regularly.

It's what keeps gaming interesting.

ps I'm actually indifferent to the changes and remember all we played was a stress test, it wasn't even beta yet

Yeah but I'm glad people are discussing about the "draw card" mechanic, the removed ability icons and the Spies because that way CDPR can also get an idea of how we see the game (currently and in general) and what mechanics might pose problems are not be liked in the end, which enables them to look more closely in those special cases and definitely make sure they fit.

So I am convinced that while we, as a community, may have some issues with the current build, we need to calm down a bit and try to absorb the changes before we declare that Gwent is ruined. Which in my opinion it of course isn't.
absolutely, and i hope we can get past people using ridiculous hyperbole as rhetoric in their appeal to the Gwent team-- we're all sifting through it to find the actual merit in the argument. idk about you guys, but i'd much rather people arguing mechanics or balance without all the fluff.

Top Bottom