Unofficial "multiplayer is still coming" announcement

+
Definitely I don't want gamemode with *Smash A button to eat hamburger faster*
No, but you do seem to want more variety of features and things to do than the singleplayer game ended up with. Nothing wrong with your ideas, they're all very good, but I just find it strange given the basic nature of the singleplayer game in terms of variety of features and content in the game world.

All we know for sure is that both Witcher 4 and Cyberpunk 2 are confirmed

Well there's a game confimed in Witcher universe, but I think they said they didn't want to continue with Geralt, so it could mean that he's still around, but not just as a playable character, and instead you could be his partner who is also Witcher, or you could be a mage or some sort of cursed being, who he'll have you do missions for him before continuing his own ways and maybe you'll see him again later in the game.

Cyberpunk 2 on other hand, they've not disclosed anything of the sort even in investors calls, I think. There was someone asking about the next Cyberpunk "2078" but there wasn't any clear indication that it's in the horizon now. I mean they didn't even consider Witcher 4 definitely before finishing the expansions for Witcher 3.

It could be as I've argued from other posts that this game is going to serve as a hub for multiple stories. They could start you in same city, maybe slightly different time period, and have a different story being told. I don't know if the community would see it too lazy using same assets, but at least it'd maybe release more options for them to draft multiple branching stories easier, where you maybe don't decide to take the heist at all.

(Someone made a parody video of V refusing to participate in the heist when V hears it's about Arasaka, "nope I'm out" and game ends. That was pretty funny but I can't find it anymore) :(

Last edited:
Well there's a game confimed in Witcher universe, but I think they said they didn't want to continue with Geralt, so it could mean that he's still around, but not just as a playable character, and instead you could be his partner who is also Witcher, or you could be a mage or some sort of cursed being, who he'll have you do missions for him.

Cyberpunk 2 on other hand, they've not disclosed anything of the sort even in investors calls, I think. There was someone asking about the next Cyberpunk "2078" but there wasn't any clear indication that it's in the horizon now. I mean they didn't even consider Witcher 4 definitely before finishing the expansions for Witcher 3.

It could be as I've argued from other posts that this game is going to serve as a hub for multiple stories. They could start you in same city, maybe slightly different time period, and have a different story being told. I don't know if the community would see it too lazy using same assets, but at least it'd maybe release more options for them to draft multiple branching stories easier, where you maybe don't decide to take the heist at all.

(Someone made a parody video of how main character refuses to participate in the heist when he hears it's about Arasaka, "nope I'm out" and game ends. That was pretty funny but I can't find it anymore) :(
Well actually, I believe the CEO stated in a letter to investors, that CDPR's strategy will be "To continue developing games for our two AAA franchises". This was in the same letter that multiplayer was announced as canceled.
Post automatically merged:

By the way guy's, here's the link to the letter I was talking about.

TL;DR: No Cyberpunk 2077 standalone Multiplayer, or expansion

Universal multiplayer across all future CDPR games announced

Cyberpunk and Witcher both slates for AAA releases in their respective franchises

"UNOFFICIAL "MULTIPLAYER IS STILL COMING" ANNOUNCEMENT"

Whether or not multiplayer will be a thing, sure hope it'll be PvE based. Because if it will be PvP based, balancing the game accordingly will undoubtedly be a bitch. And with dire negative consequences for single-player at that. Been there.

What I mean and what I hope (for PvP) :
If I can fight with other players (like Battle royale) in certain areas because I choose to do it > Yes.
If I can get randomly killed by someone who is bored and has nothing better to do for fun > No.
All the "peaceful" multiplayer features would be great anyway :)
Yup, co-op table top rpg style team campaign or missions where different skill sets are relevant would be awesome, and given how well the levels were designed for different approaches I really think they could pull it off. Like the Heist but you could play as T-Bug too.

An option for a couple of merc teams competing and working for different fixers would be cool, assuming they actually tried to complete the tasks.

TBH I think Fallout 76 kind of cracked it in terms of the anti-griefing but that would be harder to implement in Night-City especially if other players could block roads with vehicles. (Maybe there is a role for improved Maxtac)

Maybe separate servers for counter-strike or battle royal style.

Well there's a game confimed in Witcher universe, but I think they said they didn't want to continue with Geralt, so it could mean that he's still around, but not just as a playable character, and instead you could be his partner who is also Witcher, or you could be a mage or some sort of cursed being, who he'll have you do missions for him before continuing his own ways and maybe you'll see him again later in the game.

(Someone made a parody video of V refusing to participate in the heist when V hears it's about Arasaka, "nope I'm out" and game ends. That was pretty funny but I can't find it anymore) :(
I can see how you integrate multilayer in to CP2077 but how do you do it for Witcher 4? I play as Yennefer, Dandelion or Triss?

Last edited:
Because if it will be PvP based, balancing the game accordingly will undoubtedly be a bitch

I think they got the weapon damage pretty good (I'm just assuming the existing balance is based on multiplayer testing experience), but I do think they'll likely have some issues with implementing systems for nethacking and making that aspect feel unique and different and fun, while same time not making them super broken where in 10v10 match, everyone just takes the Netrunner build and hacks people dead from behind the camera.

You'd kinda have to assume the way to counter this would be of course to make cameras destroyable, but then Netrunners becomes far harder to hack people with as they're going to get rifle shots to their face upon poking behind a rock. Maybe the maps are going to have ladders where soldiers can go up and repair the cameras.

I think it's definitely going to be interesting and I damn sure hope the hacking component isn't just going to be single player thing.

Here's my idea Start of Match, you have 5/10 max RAM. Killing an unit or making a successful hack adds +1 to the max. It takes 15 seconds to restore 1 RAM. You could also find some power boosters around map granding 2 extra points in RAM and 20% damage boost, 20% damage reduction.

Sonic Shock (1 RAM)
Removes map, which normally would grant information about other players and enemy player locations that is going to last 30 seconds

Short Circuit hack (2 RAM)
Deals 33% of max hp damage to a target

Contagion (2 RAM)
Spreads from player to player dealing 20% of their max hp. Jumps 5 times, also making it possible to jump back to initial host after activating on some other enemy.

Weapon Glitch (3 RAM)
Disable enemies weapons for 10 seconds, making it easier to players rush behind the bunker and kill target. Melee weapons would still be viable.

Reboot Optics (3 RAM)
Become completely blinded for 5 seconds.

Detonate Granade (5 RAM)
If target is carrying a grenades, detonate them. No effect on targets with no grenades.

Cyberpsychosis (10 RAM)
Gives Netrunner access to other player briefly for 20 seconds. Damage taken would eliminate this effect.

Suicide (10 RAM)
Target pulls a gun at themselves and fires a shot with the weapon they have currently enabled. If no weapon exists (for example someone is just using fists for some reason) the effect doesn't do anything but briefly stun target for 3 seconds.

I can see how you integrate multilayer in to CP2077 but how do you do it for Witcher 4?
Assuming that in "Witcher 4" you're not going to be playing any specific predetermined character, but instead you're playing a new character entirely, with their own unique backstory, It'd be pretty much similar experience as you'd see in Dark Souls PvP or in WoW PvE raids.

I think being forced to be a specific character is quire restrictive for a game like Witcher who has a long list of characters with different unique abilities.

Maybe Witcher 4 would start out like some regular day at farm and your entire village gets raided by some specific monster. Your parents die to protect you and Geralt just happens to be around to get his reward from the slaying of the monster.

So you become his apprentice Witcher and your character is basically whatever you like it to look like. So definitely I don't' see a lot of problem with multiplayer in this aspect.

I guess the danger in this method is that old Witcher fans aren't going to like the idea of not playing as Geralt...

Last edited:
I think they got the weapon damage pretty good (I'm just assuming the existing balance is based on multiplayer testing experience), but I do think they'll likely have some issues with implementing systems for nethacking and making that aspect feel unique and different and fun, while same time not making them super broken where in 10v10 match, everyone just takes the Netrunner build and hacks people dead from behind the camera.

You'd kinda have to assume the way to counter this would be of course to make cameras destroyable, but then Netrunners becomes far harder to hack people with as they're going to get rifle shots to their face upon poking behind a rock. Maybe the maps are going to have ladders where soldiers can go up and repair the cameras.

I think it's definitely going to be interesting and I damn sure hope the hacking component isn't just going to be single player thing.

Here's my idea Start of Match, you have 5/10 max RAM. Killing an unit or making a successful hack adds +1 to the max. It takes 15 seconds to restore 1 RAM. You could also find some power boosters around map granding 2 extra points in RAM and 20% damage boost, 20% damage reduction.

Sonic Shock (1 RAM)
Removes map, which normally would grant information about other players and enemy player locations that is going to last 30 seconds

Short Circuit hack (2 RAM)
Deals 33% of max hp damage to a target

Contagion (2 RAM)
Spreads from player to player dealing 20% of their max hp. Jumps 5 times, also making it possible to jump back to initial host after activating on some other enemy.

Weapon Glitch (3 RAM)
Disable enemies weapons for 10 seconds, making it easier to players rush behind the bunker and kill target. Melee weapons would still be viable.

Reboot Optics (3 RAM)
Become completely blinded for 5 seconds.

Detonate Granade (5 RAM)
If target is carrying a grenades, detonate them. No effect on targets with no grenades.

Cyberpsychosis (10 RAM)
Gives Netrunner access to other player briefly for 20 seconds. Damage taken would eliminate this effect.

Suicide (10 RAM)
Target pulls a gun at themselves and fires a shot with the weapon they have currently enabled. If no weapon exists (for example someone is just using fists for some reason) the effect doesn't do anything but briefly stun target for 3 seconds.
To be frank, am of an opinion that Cyberpunk 2077 is not really suitable for PvP. Although a PvE player myself, have seen with PvP, there's always that 1 single weapon or skill, or combination thereof, that outranks them all. Those are mighty interesting numbers you got there, but a direct hit from a sniper, and those numbers are forfeit.

Now it could be so that a quick-hack comes through eitherway, even when the net-runner dies during breaching, but you'll then see that a large portion of the player-base would argue fiercely. And with a good point. I mean, "Hey, the enemy net-runner who cast it is dead, still I'm affected. What gives?"

On the other hand, when the net-runner that cast a quick-hack on you dies, and immediately the breaching of the quick-hack ceases, wouldn't that make net-runners overall in PvP pretty much useless?

There comes with, this is of my own, I compare net-runners with sorceresses and wizards, who are always very susceptible against melee, and long range (physical) attacks.

Cyberpunk 2077 is not really suitable for PvP

Well considering the gunplay was designed with help of CSGO Pro and and that they are looking for a person with experience of matchmaking, I think it's pretty much to be expected that there's going to PvP very much the focus in multiplayer, at least initially.

And I do hope of course they'll be bringing fun and unique games modes too but those might be a little harder to pull out from scratch.

Those are mighty interesting numbers you got there, but a direct hit from a sniper, and those numbers are forfeit.

That would be the point. That's why Netrunners would mainly focus on being behind and using cameras as tools. Maybe they could also have those invisible spider bots as well to aid them with vision.

If Netrunner peaks behind corner, with no proper protection, boom you're out of the round.

You could have some heavily armored guy with shotgun rushing through the gunfire but being weak to hacks, but then again he couldn't be hacked because enemy had cameras taken out, so he'll be able to take snipers out... unless of course Ninjas come and impale him first.

I'm kinda having my fingers crossed with CSGO style survival rounds akin to what Valorant is trying to do, with some level of freedom to purchase everything you want, but with some specific character class you pick from. Would it make sense to have Netrunner with missile launcher as 2nd weapon? Well maybe he or she is prepared to take down a tank,

There's already cybernetic implants for invisibility so I'd assume they are going to be most helpful for the quick and agile ninja character with spring ability, but could be also given to some heavily geared character who couldn't use it that much because he wouldn't be able to get to cover before stealth ends.

Of course it'd be hard to find perfect balance and make sure customers don't get super salty getting shot dead 5 times after walking 5 seconds from spawn... well I guess that's what matchmaking would be for, balancing out the player skill level.

Last edited:
From the sounds of it seems like something akin. Deathmatch,Battle Royale and stuff like that.

*sigh* If is like that will be for me a disappointment. Oh look we have another FPS with multiplayer.

I miss the time games based on Pen and paper had actually a multyplayer mode where you could host campaign just like the pen and paper sessions.
Nwn Nwn2 Vampire Redemption anyone?

I'll say what I've said before about this. I and a lot of other people never wanted multiplayer. After everything else that transpired with the release of this game, if multiplayer infects and borks the main game I'm swearing CDPR off for good.

Top Bottom