"V will have only one apartmant in the game." - Kasia Redesuik (gamestar.de interview)

+
Depends what you meant by it.. :shrug:
It implies cyberpunks rent housing, not buy housing. Which proves the poster you quoted's point.

Last edited:
It implies cyberpunks rent housing, not buy housing. Which proves the poster you quoted's point.
And what makes you think we are talking about buying housing instead of renting it? Game mechanics-wise there is zero difference. What does "have" an apartment mean? I think its stupid to get stuck in semantics when the whole point is for the player character to HAVE some kind of apartment, regardless how it is acquired.

Renting apartment will never give the fun of owning mansion/ big apartment permanently. V will be like the immigrant of Night City who cannot buy properties. If you think story is everything, then the gameplay will be over as soon as the story is over in a week. But if properties remain to buy, then it will be fun to buy them earning money. Wishing the best of Cyberpunk 2077 but it is not going to fulfill the Desire of owning properties, specially already multiple franchises or Game developers have already added this buying or owning opportunities in their games. Elder Scrolls Online, Skyrim, RAW(Upcoming game), Identity(Upcoming), GTA Online, Star Citizen, Ark Survival Evolved, Final Fantasy XIV, even Forza Horizon 4 etc. have included the opportunity of owning/buying/building Houses or apartments. Sad to hear that Cyberpunk 2077 will not have this opportunity even though it was announced a year ago.

Like this ^ guy says. The scale of the game is diminished. You cant buy, nor you can you raid and take over.
Huge, glorious city that's confined to a claustrophobic main mission. I cant see how that's not a very disappointing outcome based on the potential

Last edited:
Huge, glorious city that's confined to a claustrophobic main mission.

Not to be rude, but this is only a problem if you are the type of person who happens to be looking for things to do because you finished the main story - mission track - within the first 24-48 hours of loading into the game for the first time,

Game mechanics-wise there is zero difference

Oh there's plenty difference mechanics wise between renting a place to crash and actually owning a house or apartment (Kingdom Come Deliverance, Skyrim etc.) saying there's none makes me doubt your familiarity with these kinds of games and concepts.

I think its stupid to get stuck in semantics when the whole point is for the player character to HAVE some kind of apartment, regardless how it is acquired.

You do. We've known so from the very beginning. Lore wise however, a cyberpunk is not a real estate investor. You rent a place, spend the night, move on. If they do get a place it's usually going to be used against them to further the plot (takeover, assault etc.).

There could be some places to rent a bed like a sleepcell motel but so far they've yet to confirm it (or deny it). But that's standard RPG stuff and depends on whether sleeping/resting actually has an impact.

Not to be rude, but this is only a problem if you are the type of person who happens to be looking for things to do because you finished the main story - mission track - within the first 24-48 hours of loading into the game for the first time,

Nah, i'm more of a very slow completionist. Do all the side quests i can before completing the main mission.

I've played in many a D&D campaign where any significant 'resting' happens between sessions.

I was mostly considering video game RPG's but I see what you mean.

DnD type RPG's have resting as a vital mechanic. I mostly play sourcerers and you can't play as a sorcerer whithout resting between prolonged fights or a particularly long dungeon or you'll become useless after spending your spells. So you either pull out the sleeping bags and crash right then and there while risking being attacked or find the closest Inn, pay for acomodations and presto, you're good to go.

From the 2020 2nd ed core rulebook:
View attachment 11006245

ps. Wikis... those fountains of flawless information....that anyone can edit.

Ever since the game got announced, i dreamed of climbing the corpo ladder and get enough ebs to buy the 800,000eb Harris 'n Co luxury penthouse, Mastery (well ... 1M if i would equip it).
I abandoned it with the dreaded german article. Breakers of dreams.

It's still alright to have an apartment. The weapons room was very fine.
There's still hope with expansions if the game sells well enough.

If the story is set with 1 apartment, it is always possible to give Quest location in the map. It can be shown that "Go to that apartment to meet someone/whatever". We have seen in many games including Witcher 3 that you need to go to a specific location in the map to start a mission. So it's possible to set that the main mission's cutscene will appear when players will go to the 1st apartment. No need to force to stay there. Or there is another option that is: Properties buying options will appear after the end of the story. That's a good alternative too. Or it can be added in DLC to buy different properties. And it is more appropriate for an outlaw Cyberpunk to stay in different houses for safety so that nobody can directly attack V anytime.

Ever since the game got announced, i dreamed of climbing the corpo ladder and get enough ebs to buy the 800,000eb Harris 'n Co luxury penthouse, Mastery (well ... 1M if i would equip it).
I abandoned it with the dreaded german article. Breakers of dreams.

It's still alright to have an apartment. The weapons room was very fine.
There's still hope with expansions if the game sells well enough.

I first thought I wanna be Corp, but I dont think corp-life is so awesome as people think its, basically they live in these heavily protected areas, they fly to work with some armored helicopters, after work they fly back to home and hope they dont get shotdown. I could be wrong, but I believe Corp people are pretty much KOS if they go to the "streets". I wouldnt mind to get somekind of Corp DLC though, but Cyberpunk should be experienced on the "streets".

Just be thankful there's no actual rent mechanic in this game for V's apartment where if you don't hustle enough to pay your rent on time, you get evicted and lose all your stuff. Everybody says they want realism but I'm betting they wouldn't want it that real. :cool:

Just be thankful there's no actual rent mechanic in this game for V's apartment where if you don't hustle enough to pay your rent on time, you get evicted and lose all your stuff. Everybody says they want realism but I'm betting they wouldn't want it that real. :cool:

No, that be fine. It denotes freedom to move.
You climb up from rat hole > cardboard fort > vicious rent cycle > purchase dog box apartment > upgrade to neon swingers pad > penthouse apartment > customize penthouse with kennel for your cyber-leopard.

Its not just living quarters. Its pets, running gangs, corporate espionage, tomfoolery, etc. All freedom is gone.
Look - but don't touch outside of missions, and the mission keeps you in your base apartment. It's a city of stifled, unrealized dreams.

Last edited:
Its not just living quarters. Its pets, running gangs, corporate espionage, tomfoolery, etc. All freedom is gone.
Look - but don't touch outside of missions, and the mission keeps you in your base apartment.

I may be one of the biggest complainer on this forum, but you are just asking too much.
Don't ask from Cyberpunk 2077 what still hasn't been done even in top-down C-RPG, which are the closest thing you can get from pen & paper besides some MMORPG with active game mastering.

I was mostly considering video game RPG's but I see what you mean.

DnD type RPG's have resting as a vital mechanic. I mostly play sourcerers and you can't play as a sorcerer whithout resting between prolonged fights or a particularly long dungeon or you'll become useless after spending your spells. So you either pull out the sleeping bags and crash right then and there while risking being attacked or find the closest Inn, pay for acomodations and presto, you're good to go.

Right, even if we do try to fit in a rest mid session we tend to gloss over it, but then our encounters are usually in the Deadly+ range so our DM doesn't usually inflict random encounters on us.

I'm OK with the excuse that "Cyberpunks should be mobile" as a justification for not having multiple apartments (or any apartments at all), but it ONLY works if you actually provide those "mobile" elements that everyone here keeps bringing up.

Give players sleeping bags, hotel rooms to rent, boltholes to discover and temporarily use, cars to rest in.

If the devs don't do that, everyone's justifications here fall flat.

Unfortunately, that's precisely what I think would happen if there wasn't the one apartment we have. Just like The Witcher 3, you will be perpetually awake 24/7 for every single moment of the game outside of scripted sequences where you sleep, with no way to rest or even an incentive to do so because it's not a survival game so no sleep need.

So, feel free to use your "but cyberpunks dont stay in one place!" excuse, but hopefully you also argue in favor of the alternate mechanics that would be necessary to support it.

Top Bottom