Valve offering paid mods

+
It happened, guys! Skyrim's user rating on Steam dropped 10% in 4 days (from 98% to 88%.) It's not really saying a whole lot 'cause it's just a user rating. But it is one way for consumers to voice their displeasure. It's also worth pointing out that Skyrim was one of the highest rated games on Steam, if not the highest.

First when I heard about this I was against it. But the more I think about it the more I get used to it.
But there are a few things that are unaccetable at the moment. Things like Valve and the publisher getting 75% of the pay but not offering any support which is nothing else than greedy and unfair. Also the legal situation about support at all is very unclear. It's the same as kickstarter or early access games. The risk lies within the contributor.

And I can easily imagine some devs of mods just take the money for their unfinished and buggy product and then run away over the hills and far away never to be seen again. Like it happened already.

But you also have to take into consideration the amount of work which flows in some of these mods like Nehrim for Oblivion. A whole new world and adventure that offered over 100 hours of content and had also voice-overs (of course semi-profesional). And all this for free!
I know not all mods will offer this load of content but maybe some will. I could imagine that in long terms mods who are professionally developed by a small and enthusiastic team will be better than some DLCs form the origin developers and that they are forced to release more quality content on their own.
Maybe a bit optimistic though but one can hope. :)

I know not all mods will offer this load of content but maybe some will. I could imagine that in long terms mods who are professionally developed by a small and enthusiastic team will be better than some DLCs form the origin developers and that they are forced to release more quality content on their own.
It's also worth pointing out that one of the ways in which games iterate is through mods. Paradox Interactive, for example, sometimes incorporates features from player-created mods when they make sequels.

lol, looks like other developpers may be looking into having paid mod themselves. everytime people comment on the paid mod contravery or start a thread there, gets banned and the thread shut down.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/BoycottSteamWorkshop/discussions/0/618460171321646243/

---------- Updated at 07:02 PM ----------

... and then people started talking about GOG as an alternative to steam (it's all going according to the plan :hai:)

=> http://steamcommunity.com/groups/BoycottSteamWorkshop#announcements/detail/204128765615303824

The cherry on top of all this crap? Bethesda open world games are actually quite bad. In my opinion of course. They have a multitude of bugs that Bethesda will never fix, the games are not challenging in any way, and have some seriously questionable design choices in them. This has lead to the fact that I needed around 300 different mods for Oblivion, around 250 for both Fallout 3 and New Vegas, and am currently using circa 100 mods for Skyrim. If all of them had cost me a dollar each I would've needed 900 dollars minimum, on top of the cost for the games and DLC themselves, just to make the experience enjoyable for myself. If the quality of Bethesdas work keeps the same and all mods of any quality are to be locked behind a paywall I just can't afford to play the games anymore. Current ones, maybe, but any future ones? Skyrim is a huge seller even today because of free mods that make it playable for many. The company is in for a huge dip in profits when the next game comes out.

The company is in for a huge dip in profits when the next game comes out.

Doubt that. Just watch Fallout 4 being announced at E3 and the whole gaming world press meltdown that's gonna happen. When the game finally comes out it's gonna sell like hotcakes... on consoles and on PC.

Remember, this whole mess is strictly tied to Steam, ergo PC gaming. There is a whole other world of console gamers who don't give a crap about this whole paid mods shebang [hint: they have no access to them].

Doubt that. Just watch Fallout 4 being announced at E3 and the whole gaming world press meltdown that's gonna happen. When the game finally comes out it's gonna sell like hotcakes... on consoles and on PC.

Remember, this whole mess is strictly tied to Steam, ergo PC gaming. There is a whole other world of console gamers who don't give a crap about this whole paid mods shebang [hint: they have no access to them].

Short term profits yes, but do you really think the next game will have the longevity of previous ones? Hell, most days Skyrim still sells more on steam than new AAA games. And it has done that for years. Day after day after day. Not on consoles though for obvious reasons. Console is pennies in this regard, always has been.

edit: Just wanted to clarify that I'm not in any way saying or commenting anything negative about consoles or console gaming, just discussing the short term vs long term profits.

Last edited:
Paid mods aren't really an issue, but the way that Valve has decided to implement them is just piss poor and disgusting. I can't agree with a service that only gives 25% of profits to the actual creator of the mod. There are also bound to be some issues with copyright, charging money for work that's not yours, etc.
A donate button is really all that was needed.

I don't really see a problem with people selling mods if they want to. Authors can decide what to do with them, sell or give out for free, it should be their choice. But they can easily do it without Steam.

Sadly this is true. A lot of console gamers are giddy at the fact we're finally being charged for mods. And Bethesda is still the world's largest RPG dev. Once Fallout 4 is announced all bets are off.

Top Bottom