Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Norse arming sword that Al owns is a descendant of the Celtic iron swords that became popular in Europe when they supplanted bronze weapons, the Celts had two types of swords, big longswords that they swung about their heads to terrify early Romans (especially in the Po valley) and short actual business swords. One of the latter that originated in Spain became the famous Gladius Espaniola, that the legionnaires used. The former was used by officers of the Roman army, and was renamed the Spatha, it also became popular amongst German tribes and from thence to the Norse. The arming sword is a far more manageable and easy to use weapon than the original large longsword it came from, this would re-emerge in the middle ages as the longsword/bastard sword that we know and love as the Witcher's sword.

I actually have a picture of an ancient Celtic sword that The Romans would have come up against when they invaded Gaul. Note that this is just a reconstruction, so it might not be completely accurate.

View attachment 6330

Attachments

• 888011_l.jpg
    888011_l.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 40
Went to youtube. Read the video description. How does one "master nanotechnology"!? By designing efficient methods of producing new materials? *sigh*

I suppose there is some underlying idea of nanostructured devices allowing humans to control their physiology and affect the world around them. Modern day replacement for "it's magic!".

Last edited:
So when was the last time you guys spent a whole day without using a single electronic, computing device such as cell phones, tablets, game consoles and of course, computers?

I really have no idea.

Went to youtube. Read the video description. How does one "master nanotechnology"!? By designing efficient methods of producing new materials? *sigh*

I suppose there is some underlying idea of nanostructured devices allowing humans to control their physiology and affect the world around them. Modern day replacement for "it's magic!".

Looks like that's how they're going. Arguably, if you do spread nanites everywhere -and- the don't grey goo everything in sight, putting processors in yourself to run said nanites - and override whatever their default behaviour is - could, yes, look a lot like magic.

Anyone who's played Numenera, did the video, monolith-thing and nanite emphasis remind you of that game?

In his defense, moderating for hours each day on the BSN would likely drive the average person mad. He's in a new work culture now, in a company with an entirely different philosophy. So long as the forums aren't effected, I say he gets a clean slate. A NA rep is long overdue anyways.

Marcin doesn't want to be our dad anymore and we're getting a new one? 0.o

So when was the last time you guys spent a whole day without using a single electronic, computing device such as cell phones, tablets, game consoles and of course, computers?

I really have no idea.
This August, I think, but I'm certain I didn't watch tv or used any electronic device for a day when a huge blackout affected Italy in 2003. :-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom