What did I just get?

+
What did I just get?

Ever played The Witcher 2, have an NPC give you something in a conversation and then go... what did I just get? What was my reward?

It seems that the quest update or completion popup cancels the items collected or orens recieved messages, so you have no idea what you just got and how many orens it was.

I know you can check your inventory and choose "All" which'll show your most recently aquired item, but it's just confusing really. I'm sure more than a few new players have been bewildered by this.

Doesn't there pop up a small 'box' in the middle right corner stating that I.e "You accuired X item"?

Chewin3 said:
Doesn't there pop up a small 'box' in the middle right corner stating that I.e "You accuired X item"?
Yes, but if a quest progresses at the same time, it's removed instantly.

Yep, it also happens to me but whatever, after two playthroughs it didn't bother me anymore XD. The issue is what you already said, for new players that can be confusing because some might thing that they actually didn't get orens or anything :S

The only way to know what did you recieve is by the Inventory and the conversation.

Duskey said:
Ever played The Witcher 2, have an NPC give you something in a conversation and then go... what did I just get? What was my reward?

It seems that the quest update or completion popup cancels the items collected or orens recieved messages, so you have no idea what you just got and how many orens it was.

I know you can check your inventory and choose "All" which'll show your most recently aquired item, but it's just confusing really. I'm sure more than a few new players have been bewildered by this.

In your inventory there's a chest icon that shows all the items you have in order from newest to oldest. If your not sure what you got during a quest or from an NPC check that list and your new items you obtained will be at the top.

This has been an annoyance of mine since 1.0. Not only does the message disappear before you even have time to register that there is a message, but many quest rewards seem to come out of nowhere. Why doesn't Iorveth say something about that silver sword he apparently gives me at the end of Act 2 (Roche), for example? He speaks his lines, quest completes, and suddenly I have a new sword in my inventory. No, it's always better if the reward is mentioned in the conversation, at some point, but even then, that message should definitely stick to the screen.

Also, it's not always a "new item" - sometimes you get something which stacks with something you already have, and of course, orens won't show up in newly acquired items. No matter how you turn it, it's sloppy work and a frustrating feeling that you are not given a chance to read what people are giving you.

Agree. It is annoying but you get used to it.

You can indeed check your inventory for most rewards, but I hate it when you get money rewards and you can't see how much they really payed you, unless you check how much money you had beforehand.

It would be cool if the journal had a log of all the pop-up messages chronologically. Some other games have done this and it was handy if I missed reading something because I could just check the log to see what it said. If TW2 already has this then I didn't notice where to look.

WardDragon said:
It would be cool if the journal had a log of all the pop-up messages chronologically. Some other games have done this and it was handy if I missed reading something because I could just check the log to see what it said. If TW2 already has this then I didn't notice where to look.

Excellent idea. Part of what I love from "old school" interfaces like that of the Infinity Engine is that I can always go back and read recent conversations, review recent actions, check exactly how I killed someone, revise tactics, etc. In TW2 messages (like the pseudo die-rolls) go by so fast that you can't really read them while fighting, and then they just disappear into thin air.

Siven said:
TW2 would be almost perfect if Biowares UI team joined CDRed :)

I thought the UI in TW1 was pretty decent, but then again it was inherited from the Aurora Engine.

Maybe CDP just needs to have their UI people take a crash course on classic RPG UI's. They can probably outdo Bioware in a matter of weeks.

Phew, I'm glad I'm not the only one. It's a minor annoyance at best and it's only notiable because the rest of the game is so great.

Another thing is when you have a lot of unread entries in your journal and you want to scroll down. The darn interface checks the ones you scroll past as read. Grrrr.

Top Bottom