What (do you think) will be your GOTY 2023?

+
Question in title. Lots of games, including huge ones, have come out this year, and there are still two months left. What's your favourite?

For me, it will be either Hogwarts Legacy or the upcoming The Talos Principle 2.
They're also the only 2023 games I'll have played. (Nope. Forgot about one.)

A few reasons:
1) Hogwarts Legacy is, in a way, a dream come true for many Harry Potter fans, myself included. It's a fantastic game based on a fantastic universe.
2) RPGs are my favourite genre.
3) The first Talos Principle is a phenomenal puzzle game, and, based on its demo, the sequel will be even better.
4) Puzzle games are my second favourite genre.

Last edited:
Quite difficult, my favorite games I played in 2023 wasn't (really) released in 2023... I played Persona 5 Royal for the first time in 2023, but released on October 2022 on xbox.
So without doubt, Valheim, released in 2023 on xbox.

Obviously Baldur's Gate 3
Alan Wake 2 will be my 2nd close.
I was hoping Starfield will be good, it's good but not GOTY.

Hogwarts Legacy was great but story fell flat for me.

Baldurs Gate 3 might be it, but I haven't actually played it yet (XSX owner and my PC isn't strong enough). Looks promising, fingers crossed - I've been waiting on that sequel over 20 years...

This year I didn't buy many new releases. Enjoyed Wo Long and Wild Hearts, if not BG3 I'd pick one of those.

A lot of great games have released this year, and it's honestly been difficult trying to keep up. Some of the noteworthy ones I've played include Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, Diablo 4 (yes, I enjoyed it despite all of the drama), Final Fantasy XVI, Street Fighter VI, Starfield, and Baldur's Gate 3.

There are also many other games that I just didn't get around to playing; this is honestly one of the most stacked video game years in recent history. Year isn't even done yet; I'm still looking forward to Warhammer 40000: Rogue Trader.

Most likely Baldur's Gate 3 will win a lot of accolades, for good reason.

BG3. Not my favorite BG but still, it's easy to see that a lot of care was put into it in terms of programming.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Well, considering only the games ive actually played and were released this year makes this choice very easy for me, especially knowing i still dont have a PS5 or high-end PC to play most of the newer titles.

Resident Evil 4 Remake.
The original is one of my favourites of all time, and this one was almost as amazing, really really close and ive played it into exhaustion, did over 6 playthroughs, and with the Mercenaries and Ada's Separate Ways DLC ive put into it more than 150h, which says something considering its not a huge RPG open world or a never-ending multiplayer game.

There has been a lot of great games released this year but only one that really just stood higher than the others. That's Baldur's Gate 3.

That would be my GOTY for 2023.

"WHAT (DO YOU THINK) WILL BE YOUR GOTY 2023?"

Only got Resident Evil 4 Remake and street Fighter 6 this year. They're both fun to play, but light years off being GOTY.

It is easy for me. I anticipated a few games, and that was fulfilled.

From the all-in deals, that's Trepang2.

From the DLCs, Ion Fury: Aftershock. Sorry, PL. ;)

Both with amazing soundtracks.

If they had Haydee 3, that would likely blast to the top of all (my) charts. No such luck.

Baldurs Gate 3 or Starfield id say, Bg3 is much more polished atleast in the beginning. But i love the space nerd feast that is Starfield witch is kinda like a dream come true for me. I liked Hogwards too but its very ubisoft in its open world.

BG3 has it in the bag. Its a game people wanted, the devs understood the assignment, and the game wasn’t a bugfest either.

BG3 100% deserves to win.

Tbf, andy game that isn't a bugfest these days deserves a win due to how sloppy development has become over the last decade.

Well, Hogwarts Legacy got my GOTY nomination (Steam Awards). As much as I enjoy TTP2, it just cannot beat an RPG set in the Harry Potter world that's also a fantastic game in its own right.

Baldur's Gate 3 for me;
  • Participated in Early Access for over 500 hours across updates
  • Provided tons of feedback for it which Larian surprisingly listened to and implemented
  • Larian is just an amazing company overall and the game is an impressive work of art
The funny thing is I absolutely hated and actively avoided turn-based games up until BG3, but its Early Access was so good that I instantly fell in love. However I wanted to play something fully finished so I went through Larian's catalogue of other turn-based games and found Divinity: Original Sin 2, which also ended up being one of my favorite games of all time. Loved it so much that I had to get the first game as well.

Larian just knows what they're doing when they can pull in someone like me who really disliked the genre, as their games bring me that oldschool feeling of the golden age of gaming; a time when RPGs were wonderfully rich, massive, expansive, intriguing, felt like every inch within them had some mystery to uncover and were made by actual gamers with a burning passion to create games as an art.

Thankfully Cyberpunk didn't release this year so it can't be nominated, otherwise I would be stuck in an eternal limbo trying to decide between the two which one wins :D

Last edited:
I wrote above that it'd probably be Baldur's Gate 3 if I had the PC to run it. Well, now I do, and my answer is definitely BG3.

Question in title. Lots of games, including huge ones, have come out this year, and there are still two months left. What's your favourite?
Game of the year would be either PL (not really, it was an expansion, but that plus 2.0 means I put more time, fun time, into CPunk this year than any other game aside from BG 3 or Hogwarts) or, yes, Baldur's Gate 3. Not because it wasn't seriously flawed, but because they tried to do so much and still hit a lot of targets.

Legacy was amazing, but I slipped off the story a bit. Need to finish it. Jedi Survivor also great. Starfield, as long as you adjusted expectations to Fallout 4 in Space, also great.

But BG 3 I think really made it's mark this year.

BG3 has it in the bag. Its a game people wanted, the devs understood the assignment, and the game wasn’t a bugfest either.

BG3 100% deserves to win.

Tbf, andy game that isn't a bugfest these days deserves a win due to how sloppy development has become over the last decade.
My BG3 had so many bugs I had to restart by the time I got to Act 3 on my first try. Minthara bugs, Dammon bugs, gear missing, quests broken or gapped out. Companions have dialogue about events that had happened already - or never happened.

4 major patches and 11 hotfix patches. So many, many bugs. Critical, serious, minor, amusing. Nice if you got lucky, but many people did not. Bugs alone put BG 3 in the 8.5-9 category for me. Plus the compressed mess that was Act 3 and the very weak ending.

WH40K Rogue Trader

Because BG 3 was a let down too casual in the lore story sucked fights were more puzzle than fun. Diablo IV was mixed in everything, couldn't play the new Jedi game but given Disney s track record I missed nothing. So what s left in the grim darkness of our 21st century there is only owlcat.

Last edited:
Top Bottom