What is the fun in playing Nilfgaard?

+
I don't know if the logic is right or wrong but "nothing is given if it is not received" made me laugh because it sounds like it's one step away from becoming a Yoda quote

Also, nobody talking about enslave Ng its super oppressive atm..7 seizes while bombarding you with hefty helge and random assassinates and treasons and if there's anything left on your board after that it's getting yenvo'ed or Vincent(ed)

Just a note, and im not implying you didnt know this already, but i only learned it recently, and maybe many others dont know this yet, so here it is:

An Enslave 6 deck CAN NOT run Yen's Invo.
I did a deck similar to the one you describe, with Hefty Helge and many seizes, and i tried to put Yen Invo but its impossible, because an enslave 6 deck must have 12 tactics, Yen's Invo is not a tactic, and there's a 13 minimum units, so all specials in such decks must be tactics.

So if you're facing enslave 6, remember, there is no Invo (or lacerate or Heatwave, or other non-tactic specials).

Just a note, and im not implying you didnt know this already, but i only learned it recently, and maybe many others dont know this yet, so here it is:

I did a deck similar to the one you describe, with Hefty Helge and many seizes, and i tried to put Yen Invo but its impossible, because an enslave 6 deck must have 12 tactics, Yen's Invo is not a tactic, and there's a 13 minimum units, so all specials in such decks must be tactics.

So if you're facing enslave 6, remember, there is no Invo (or lacerate or Heatwave, or other non-tactic specials).
I've seen madmans that played Ardal with seize 7 or seize 6 and portal, so I wouldn't be too sure there won't be a player that will have 26 cards to put Yennifer invocation in it.

You may be right but I was dealing with an enslave 5 not 6..ill try to recreate the list from the game I played

The seizes I mentioned were double amnesty, sweers, triple leader with letho and Damien and can't remember what the other one was..might have been 6 seizes..Add to that yenvo, Vincent, double assassinate, treason, double informant, helge, double infiltrator, enforcer, bribery, remedy, coup de grace, braathens..can't remember what else he played. But if you put that in a list you'll find you still have about 21 provision left for 5 cards or so..maybe throw in 2 emissaries, 2 hunters and an extra enforcer and then set forth into the world!

I've seen madmans that played Ardal with seize 7 or seize 6 and portal, so I wouldn't be too sure there won't be a player that will have 26 cards to put Yennifer invocation in it.

You're right, im so used to putting 25 cards in a deck by now i even forgot you could add more, thus bypassing these calculations.

Man, i miss my beta decks with 26-30 cards, you sacrificed consistency but not necessarily power, but since HC Gwent started i dont think i've ever gone past 25 because your deck gets objectively weaker. Just another thing i liked more in beta Gwents...

Man, i miss my beta decks with 26-30 cards, you sacrificed consistency but not necessarily power, but since HC Gwent started i dont think i've ever gone past 25 because your deck gets objectively weaker. Just another thing i liked more in beta Gwents...

Oh yeah! You remember Lifecoach's 35 card consume deck? Or Kingblacktoof's 40 card alchemy deck where the vipers did something like 20 damage each? Those were the days when anything was possible. The decks in Homecoming pretty much build themselves compared to back then.

I tried one of those Alchemy decks once, stuffing it as full of Achemy cards as I could (it wasn't meant to be a competitive deck). I found it really boring to play from what I remember, the only fun part being the insane damage on the Vipers. :p

Control has always been a favourite of mine, which is why Nilfgaard is such a great faction for me. They don't lack tools, and even have synergies based on such tools.

Last edited:
Ah the beta decks....
My favourite was the 40 card all units NR FOLTEST deck.

Foltest had the leader ability to boost all cards in your hand and deck. Hubert Ruyek was your finisher, with the ability to absorb all the boosts on units remaining in your deck.

After SK was ruined in the latest update by making it OP at all levels, finding NR boring because almost every deck seems to play the same way and ST to have no decks that play at all, and thinking NG to be sufficiently nerfed to play again, I decided to try that faction for the first time since leveling beyond the NG starter deck.

Even though I won’t play its numerous fun-ruining abilities and cards (lockdown, enslave, masquerade ball, Damien de la Tour, Vattier de Rideaux, Letho Kingslayer, Yennifer’s invocation, Cahir Dyffryn, bribery, Assire var Anahid, amnesty, and the neutral but supporting Maraal), I find NG to have numerous viable (as in occasionally can win unranked matches against decent decks), varied, and strategic deck possibilities.

NG certainly has more than its share of “bad” cards (cards not necessarily OP, but cards that are unfair at some level of play or cards that eliminate meaningful strategy or cards that destroy too many otherwise viable decks without counterplay). But otherwise the faction does not deserve the hate it receives.

After SK was ruined in the latest update by making it OP at all levels, finding NR boring because almost every deck seems to play the same way and ST to have no decks that play at all, and thinking NG to be sufficiently nerfed to play again, I decided to try that faction for the first time since leveling beyond the NG starter deck.

Even though I won’t play its numerous fun-ruining abilities and cards (lockdown, enslave, masquerade ball, Damien de la Tour, Vattier de Rideaux, Letho Kingslayer, Yennifer’s invocation, Cahir Dyffryn, bribery, Assire var Anahid, amnesty, and the neutral but supporting Maraal), I find NG to have numerous viable (as in occasionally can win unranked matches against decent decks), varied, and strategic deck possibilities.

NG certainly has more than its share of “bad” cards (cards not necessarily OP, but cards that are unfair at some level of play or cards that eliminate meaningful strategy or cards that destroy too many otherwise viable decks without counterplay). But otherwise the faction does not deserve the hate it receives.

NG doesnt get its hate for the cards it has, but for the cards its players choose to use (which you've already mentioned quite a few)

You mentioned Cahir as fun-ruining, but didnt mention Helge, which is way worse imo. Cahir can completely shut down a deck, but he's actually easier to counter than Helge, since he's rowlocked and has no shield, so basically he has to be played with a defender.

Also, most people play him greedily but he can also be used tactically, on last turn when you DONT have final say and expect a giant Gord, Aglais, Ozrel, Dagur, etc. to completely counter that big final play.

I used an enslave-6 deck with defender, cahir and helge and it caused so many insta forfeits when they saw that infamous trio, i can see why it can be seen as fun-ruining, but honestly there's many other factions and decks that when you see have almost no chance, like seeing a Kikkimore Queen deck and no Yrden, insta-lose. And yet they dont get half the hate NG gets.

NG doesnt get its hate for the cards it has, but for the cards its players choose to use (which you've already mentioned quite a few)

You mentioned Cahir as fun-ruining, but didnt mention Helge, which is way worse imo. Cahir can completely shut down a deck, but he's actually easier to counter than Helge, since he's rowlocked and has no shield, so basically he has to be played with a defender.

Also, most people play him greedily but he can also be used tactically, on last turn when you DONT have final say and expect a giant Gord, Aglais, Ozrel, Dagur, etc. to completely counter that big final play.

I used an enslave-6 deck with defender, cahir and helge and it caused so many insta forfeits when they saw that infamous trio, i can see why it can be seen as fun-ruining, but honestly there's many other factions and decks that when you see have almost no chance, like seeing a Kikkimore Queen deck and no Yrden, insta-lose. And yet they dont get half the hate NG gets.
I agree that helge is nasty, especially since it can usually safely hold charges until they have horrible effectiveness, but I don’t see it as that different then the multiple NR damage engines that can be fed charges left and right — maybe helge stands better on its own, but it also costs more.

I agree that Cahil without defender (and sometimes even with defender) is easily countered - and thus probably not overpowered. But he is not easily countered by beginning players who have limited card selection and want to use scraps to build their deck and not to counter yours. More than any other card, if I countered, he is an absolute win against most decks. Thus I definitely do describe him as fun ruining.

You might have noticed that I also did not mention Vincent. Without excessive poison, one strong (but expensive) removal card should not be devastating to a well constructed deck.

Anyone faced the NG deck that mills your entire deck? With Oneicromancy, Damien, and all that crap?

Astonishing.
From what I’ve seen (which isn’t much), it’s weak, gimmicky and quickly telegraphed. It seems hard for such a deck to win either first or second round and still mill an entire deck before the start of round three. Is it possible to mill an opponent and still rack up decent points?

From what I’ve seen (which isn’t much), it’s weak, gimmicky and quickly telegraphed. It seems hard for such a deck to win either first or second round and still mill an entire deck before the start of round three. Is it possible to mill an opponent and still rack up decent points?

It has a very strong T1 but you can basically kill it by passing early with point advantage.

Totally possible to do it but the thing is, your points come from units, not boosts too much. So once you use your 13 point solider, he isn't coming back and that's a big point loss.

It loses momentum very fast.

The win rate is most likely dependent upon whether your opponent contributes to your game plan by thinning their own deck. It's probably an automatic win against decks that like to play nearly all of their cards.

These latest nerfs to every faction really just suck. Everyone on the ladder is just NG, it's beyond frustrating. For whatever reason it's the only faction that never gets touched in patches and it's EASILY the most unenjoyable faction to play against. Arena is the only safe haven left, otherwise it's just too annoying.

Arena is the only safe haven left
You must not play much Arena. Nilfgaard has the most useful leader abilities because nearly all of them get full value regardless of the contents of your deck. As a result, Nilfgaard is definitely the dominant faction in Arena.

You must not play much Arena. Nilfgaard has the most useful leader abilities because nearly all of them get full value regardless of the contents of your deck. As a result, Nilfgaard is definitely the dominant faction in Arena.

Agreed that NG has the most useful leader abilities in Arena, but at least people have varied decks with those leader abilities, so it's not replaying Damien five times, and Yen, Vincent, Ball wrecking your board.

Top Bottom